snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 30 November 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
I have no doubt it plays a role, maybe even a notable one, but clearly personal preference plays a role as well, and a not insignificant one.
We can't--no one can--possibly know how much is socialization and how much is personal preference. When there is strong socialization, it makes sense to presume it plays some role. So when someone says "for me personally, it's just my preference," that's when it's fair to bring up socialization, IMO. Of course that person feels it's just their preference. That's how it works. It's not like there are a bunch of people out there who are secretly attracted to women with hairy legs but dare not admit it because they've been socialized to lie about it. Society has defined what is attractive in women. And I don't think you have to have seen large numbers of naked women to be aware of the beauty standard for naked women.
Old 01 December 2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Cause women (or not enough of them at least) don't prefer it on men. If, say, 80% of women really liked men's bodies mostly hairless most men would shave, simple as that.
Interestingly enough, my last "intimate friend" (since we weren't really bf/gf) was on some sort of kick after having divorced her husband, and was dating men that were a bit younger than her. Somehow we ended up "together" and she was pretty insistent that I shave it all down there, which I didn't do since I thought it would have given me a childish look. Her reason for asking was for, uhmn, "mechanical purposes"? (girl on top if you must know) - at least that's what she said.

OY
Old 01 December 2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overyonder View Post
Her reason for asking was for, uhmn, "mechanical purposes"? (girl on top if you must know) - at least that's what she said.

OY

I've never had an issue caused by a partner's pubes no matter the position.
Old 01 December 2013, 09:45 PM

What people wear - be it clothing or hair - underneath their clothing, and not intended to be seen by the public at large - is the business of the person wearing it. Comfort, cost, or their partner's preference, are all valid reasons.

But for the most part, men and women conform to various "norms" for what they wear in public. I don't recall ever seeing women wearing skirts or sleeveless tops without shaved legs or underarms. Back home in Canada, though, I know a few women who were less regular about their more visible grooming in the winter - pants or opaque tights being the norm for a good 6 months of the year. Again, no big deal, but I never met, much less saw, anyone who really bucked the trends of today's social norms. The closest I came to ever seeing this was dreadlock-wearing "hippie" who was denied entry to a restaurant because she was barefoot - and may not have bathed in the previous week.

Down here in Arizona, swimsuit season is pretty long (not to mention that even in January you'll see shorts and sleeveless tops, right beside someone in boots and a leather jacket), and I imagine that there's a lot more attention to that because, well, sticking a close-fitting swimsuit over "natural" hair doesn't have a "socially acceptable" look. I imagine that wouldn't be very comfortable. That's true for men wearing the short speedo suits. While some suits - especially for women - don't leave much leeway for how much hair can be left, there's a continuum between "bare", "trimmed" and "natural". And because women aren't going for "bare", doesn't mean they are going "natural".

FWIW, most women I knew refused the idea of going bare - only one had tried it and didn't like it - but the others refused to try. The ones who did try it, however, had a similar attitude that I have towards shaving. Remaining clean-shaven requires daily upkeep, and doing it every other day made for worse and more uncomfortable shaving bumps. The need to commit to daily maintenance was something that made it less preferred as a full-time way of life - so it was limited to the summer and "swimsuit season".
Old 01 December 2013, 11:20 PM

The closeness of the fit has nothing to do with it. It's what areas the fabric covers.
Old 01 December 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
I imagine that wouldn't be very comfortable.
There's nothing uncomfortable about it, unless you mean socially.

I don't shave my legs or my underarms, and I will wear shorts and tank tops, and I'm not an unbathed hippie. Around here, no one seems to care much, but when I visit family in Florida people noticeably, well, notice. Lucky for me I ping all kinds of radar for unacceptability there, so it doesn't change my experience much.
Old 01 December 2013, 11:45 PM

Women wore tight-fitting bathing suits for decades before "intimate grooming" became commonplace. The first time I remember even hearing about it was with the advent of higher-cut leg openings on bathing suits in the 1980s.
Old 01 December 2013, 11:58 PM

I completely missed the memo about being completely shaven ever being a mainstream "thing" that people would ever do and I certainly do wear swimsuits! It's always been just a thing just to keep groomed enough that pubic hair doesn't stick out the sides. I try!

I had a boyfriend about 1985 who did have desire for me and himself to be shaven. I wouldn't do it but he did. I accidentally blabbed that fact to someone with a big mouth who ended up teasing the boyfriend about it. I was mortified that he would say something. The boyfriend was embarrassed and rightly upset that I betrayed a confidence. I guess that boyfriend was just ahead of his time!
Old 02 December 2013, 12:08 AM

I'd say that my chest hair is fairly average. When I wear a very tight-fitting shirt (like a moisture-wicking "underarmour" type of t-shirt) I find it uncomfortable where the garment pulls and constricts against the matted hair. I've never worn one of those short speedo swimsuits, but that's why I imagined it was uncomfortable.
Old 02 December 2013, 12:21 AM

Mike, do you shave your chest hair so you are more comfortable in those shirts?
Old 02 December 2013, 02:01 AM

I haven't tried shaving my chest hair - I've been reluctant to try because I fear how much it would itch if I did - but that shouldn't prevent me from trimming it. I should try that and see. (I shaved my armpits many years ago because of a rash and bad reaction, and the itching was very bad.)
Old 02 December 2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I've never had an issue caused by a partner's pubes no matter the position.
You missed it. It's wasn't an "issue", it was a "preference" (to her). Let me know if I need to get more detailed and NSFW.

OY
Old 02 December 2013, 04:07 PM

Wearing a swimsuit essentially feels like wearing underwear. There's no pulling. I think chest hair is probably a lot different in a lot of different ways. But just as men have been wearing snug underwear for many generations, I suspect it's not a major issue for them, either.
Old 02 December 2013, 04:19 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
I don't recall ever seeing women wearing skirts or sleeveless tops without shaved legs or underarms.
Come to Seattle sometime.
Old 02 December 2013, 04:22 PM

I see it here, too, on occasion. At first, it seemed odd. Now, I'm used to it.
Old 02 December 2013, 04:25 PM

Or any number of small college towns.
Old 02 December 2013, 04:37 PM

I, personally, prefer a mixed approach. I do shave my legs regularly below the knee. I almost never do it above the knee, and I rarely shave my armpits. As far as pubic hair goes, I do trim it semi-regularly with a beard and mustache trimmer.

I've had no complaints, really. One of my partners likes everything gone. Another would rather I shave nothing at all ever. One is in the middle. So I feel this is a fair compromise, and it happens to be what I prefer.
Old 02 December 2013, 07:57 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Come to Seattle sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I see it here, too, on occasion. At first, it seemed odd. Now, I'm used to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Or any number of small college towns.
Would you call those situations a particular sub-culture? I freely admit that I have a fairly sheltered existence - my job and my hobbies tend to have more in common with very "mainstream" people and attitudes. I don't encounter people, for example, with multiple facial piercings or facial tattoos, as part of what I do, even in the fairly extended range of suppliers and contractors I may deal with.

Would you also say that it's related to age? I'm sure a lot of women who burned their bras during their college campus days, went back to wearing them (for whatever reason) once their protesting days were over.

I'm asking this as curiosity - and not judgment.
Old 02 December 2013, 08:32 PM

Women didn't actually burn their bras.
Old 02 December 2013, 08:37 PM

I wasn't alive during the 60's, so I wasn't there to see it. I always thought that "bra-burning" didn't involve actual fire, but simply, not wearing them.