snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 30 July 2013, 10:29 PM

Icon07 13-year-old dies at camp from peanut allergy despite receiving medicine

Like most children with a food allergy, Natalie Giorgi was raised with a keen understanding of how careful she had to be.

At 13, she knew that her peanut allergy could be deadly, and her parents were exceedingly cautious about what she ate.

But years of caution couldn't save her.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/30/560...ut-peanut.html
Old 30 July 2013, 11:00 PM

From the article:

Quote:
Brothers said Natalie's father ended up using three EpiPens over the course of several minutes before she stopped breathing.
This is not a good idea. I was instructed never to give myself more than two EpiPens at once. The risk of cardiac arrest is pretty significant with just one.

All that said, this is a very sad story indeed.
Old 31 July 2013, 01:08 AM

This is the sort of thing that scares me. I have several allergic kids coming into my class next year after several years without any.
Old 31 July 2013, 01:25 AM

So I know "Is this news?" as a question is old news but seriously "Teenager dies" while sad, hardly seems worth making the news.. Then again I guess it is at least local news.

I agree that it's generally not a good idea to use multiple epi-pens, but I guess if the choice is "wait and die" vs "Use more meds and maybe die" it seems like a no brainer..
Old 31 July 2013, 01:27 AM

Especially for a desperate father.
Old 31 July 2013, 02:00 AM

Ponder

I wonder if the medicine in the pen(s) was stale/past its expiration date?
Poor kiddo!
Old 31 July 2013, 02:23 PM

I'm wondering at the camp's decision to serve something with peanuts (especially in a hall with dim lighting) without identifying it as such.

Did they not know they had a child with allergies in the group?
I know that as a scout leader, we were informed which kids had allergies and we took precautions to ensure they would not be in contact with their allergen, especially when we went camping far from ambulances.

Rice krispie squares are usually a nice, safe, non allergenic treat for kids but some "variants" like one I've seen with peanut butter, aren't and are not easy to visually identify. That's why having clear signs identifying what your serving is important, when you're dealing with groups of kids, and possible allergies.

Old 31 July 2013, 02:26 PM

I don't want to second guess the parents and I know the allergist said they did everything right, but with every child that I know of that is allergic to peanuts, 911 gets called immediately when they discover they've ingested peanuts, even if there is no sign of a reaction. Several of them have had delayed reactions where they seemed fine at first but then went into anaphylactic shock. I guess she'd never had a serious reaction before, but peanut allergies can turn deadly with no notice.
Old 31 July 2013, 03:22 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I'm wondering at the camp's decision to serve something with peanuts (especially in a hall with dim lighting) without identifying it as such.

Did they not know they had a child with allergies in the group?
Are you suggesting that they list the ingredients on a sign for everything they serve?

The camp has 61 cabins which are occupied by entire families. It isn't your standard kids go away to camp type camp. I would expect that notifying the camp's kitchen of a child's severe allergy would be the responsibility of the parent.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Especially for a desperate father.
A father who was also a doctor.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
So I know "Is this news?" as a question is old news but seriously "Teenager dies" while sad, hardly seems worth making the news.
I think this kind of story makes the news, at least in part, because it's rare - and also in part because it serves as a reminder to people who have severe allergies, or are dealing with someone with severe allergies, not to get complacent.

We have family members with life threatening allergies and I get a little tired of the way they are often treated. By some it's as if they are just trying to be cool, "everyone" has a peanut allergy; by others it's as if they are making a mountain out of a molehill just to get attention.

No, life threatening allergies mean exactly that. No one in their right mind wants to be dealing with them.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Are you suggesting that they list the ingredients on a sign for everything they serve?

The camp has 61 cabins which are occupied by entire families. It isn't your standard kids go away to camp type camp. I would expect that notifying the camp's kitchen of a child's severe allergy would be the responsibility of the parent.
The parents at every camp I've been to, or worked at, had to fill out medical forms for the children, so the camp should already have the info.

What I was suggesting was putting a sign by the batch of peanuty squares that says "contains peanuts".

I don't think it's a stretch to ask, that, if there's one person allergic in a group, rather than isolating that person, you just identify the food that contains allergens.

It's a small extra step, not hard for the staff to do and it can be a lifesaver in cases like these. If the girl had known before hand there were peanuts in there, there wouldn't be a story.

ETA: and if it's more of a "campground" than a camp, then you are right, it's on the parents, but then, why did the parents not bring their own snacks, like I've seen many parents of alleergic kids do?
Old 31 July 2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Not all allergens are created equal. Indications of which items contain peanuts seems a reasonable request.

I wonder how she determined what food was safe at other meals.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:56 PM

I think you are missing the part where it was a family camp. The parents weren't turning their kids over to the camp. They were all living there together.

The reason I asked about the ingredients is because there are people allergic to much more than just peanuts with similar life threatening effects.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked about the ingredients is because there are people allergic to much more than just peanuts.
And that's why I said "not all allergens are created equal." Peanut allergies are more likely to be life-threatening.
Old 31 July 2013, 04:59 PM

The parents aren't necessarily going to be able to identify unlabeled products containing peanuts any better than a teen might.
Old 31 July 2013, 05:06 PM

Even if they taste every item before the kids eat it, taste may not be a reliable indicator.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why posting ingredients is such a big deal. They probably have recipes the kitchen uses -- just post copies of them, or make them available. I've seen ingredients posted at salad and hot food bars in stores, and at potlucks and chili cookoffs at my office.
Old 31 July 2013, 05:10 PM

My point was that a family camp is probably not asking for medical forms for the kids present when their parents are there the whole time too.

I don't think posting ingredients is such a big deal, though isn't there still an issue of cross contamination in the kitchen? My guess would be that all three types of rice crispy treats were made in the same place at close to the same time.
Old 31 July 2013, 05:11 PM

OTOH, a family camp might be asking for medical forms for all participants, including adults. ETA: I would, if I were managing it.
Old 31 July 2013, 05:14 PM

They might, but I'd think it pretty unlikely. A hotel with attached restaurant(s) doesn't ask for medical forms from the guests. Since the parents are with the kids, I would expect that to be the closest equivalent to this camp. The only potential difference would be if the camp is far from other choices of places to eat.