snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 19 June 2013, 12:55 PM

To be concise, having a tattoo doesn't mean you'll let people do things to your body for money.

It means you are willing to customize your body to suit your notion of beauty and art and may be willing to pay to get what you want.

That's my take on it.

The only time I will think someone with a tattoo is promiscuous is if they have a tatto that says "I"m promiscuous" (probably in Kanji characters )

Last edited by Alarm; 19 June 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: clarity!
Old 19 June 2013, 03:21 PM

I guess if I had to break it down demographically and you showed me a random sampling of 100 people with tattoos and 100 people without tattoos I'd wager statistically the tattooed group would "tend" to be less... prudish and hung up with more liberal opinions and attitudes about sex.

Now to me personally that certainly doesn't translate to "easy" but for some old fogeys for whom anyone that showed an ankle prior to their wedding day might as well be a street walker... it might to them.
Old 19 June 2013, 03:54 PM

I've known a couple of old fogeys who had tattoos themselves, but they were men and they got their tattoos while they were in the Navy, so that's different (at least to them).
Old 19 June 2013, 04:20 PM

I don't think it is so much "while in Navy" vs not, but a question of tattoos on men vs tattoos on women. The former has long been acceptable (if maybe seen as an element of the lower class). The latter has only recently been seen by much of society as anything but a mark of trash.
Old 19 June 2013, 04:22 PM

I wasn't thinking they'd consider a man with a non-Navy-related tattoo "easy," but that they might other value judgments based on that.

ETA: One particular old fogey's mother, in the last couple years of her life, didn't remember that her son came home from the Navy in 194? with a tattoo, was convinced it was something new, and chided him for having gotten it. Apparently she was fine with it when she first saw it decades earlier, maybe just because she was relieved he'd come home safely.
Old 19 June 2013, 04:34 PM

My mom's tattoo as apparently caused a lot of talk in her circle of elderly people, a lot of it of the tsk tsk sort.
Old 19 June 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm not sure which POV was the insulting one, if it was mine then I apologize.
No, not yours.
Old 19 June 2013, 09:15 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I've known a couple of old fogeys who had tattoos themselves, but they were men and they got their tattoos while they were in the Navy, so that's different (at least to them).
Yes, exactly. A tattoo on a sailor (be it Navy or Merchant Marine) was common and kind of a badge of honor. Even Naval *officers* would get tattoos.

I think that the negative perception of tattoos has to do with their association with bikers (and their criminal association) and former convicts - because of the criminal association, and not one of tattoos being for the "lower classes". FWIW, I believe that the long-time association of tattoos and organized crime is the reason for their continued taboo status in Japan and South Korea.
Old 19 June 2013, 09:37 PM

Here, at least, that's changed. These days I see ordinary folk with them much more often. (I don't know if public baths have relaxed their rules. At most places, people with tattoos can't come in or have to cover them.)
Old 19 June 2013, 11:32 PM

I think some men have always liked tattoos, as in this pic from 1937. He doesn't look like a sailor; just a guy into tattoos and Jesus, I guess.

I saw a biography of Vince Lombardi where they showed a picture of his tough-as-nails father from the 1920's. He was wearing a sleeveless undershirt and was covered in tattoos; supposedly he had the words 'work' and 'play' tattooed on his knuckles.
Old 19 June 2013, 11:40 PM

During the war, my grandpa was an officer on a ship in the Navy. I never really heard him get very emotional about the war but even decades later he was still furious about the do-it-yourself earrings and tattoos! An infection was a very serious problem. They didn't have any antibiotics. He was one sailor who would have never even considered having a tattoo.
Old 20 June 2013, 02:16 AM

Your grandfather was right to be concerned, but the guys I knew who got tattoos in the Navy had them professionally done (although I don't know how great the hygienic standards were in tattoo parlors in navy towns in the 1940s.)