snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 14 June 2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
I can't say that I disagree with the idea that visible tattoos or piercings mark you as easy, but I also don't think that's a bad thing.
I have several nieces and nephews with visible tattoos and piercings, they are pretty easy going young people but that doesn't mean they're easy.
Old 14 June 2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
Wait. I have visible tattoos, so to you that means I'm available for easy sex?
Well, it does mean you'll let people do things to your body for money.
Old 14 June 2013, 05:03 PM

My 72 year old mother got a tattoo the last time I visited her. It is on her shoulder and sometimes visible. Does that mean I need to have 'the talk' with her because she's going to be on the make now?
Old 14 June 2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
One has to wonder, though, since tattooing developed so early in human history and seems to be practically ubiquitous in the prehistoric and ancient world: Why would someone do something that's relatively dangerous and painful, as it must have been in those times? I find it extremely hard to believe it was just something to do. So I'm not at all surprised if it does something on a very primitive level to, well, encourage procreation - accidental or otherwise.
Didn't tattoo primarily used to denote status until very recently?
Old 14 June 2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Well, it does mean you'll let people do things to your body for money.
Yes, it means that I will pay someone to insert ink under my skin. That in no way, shape, or form translates to "sex".

So I would be utterly delighted to hear the reasoning behind this frankly (imho) insulting point of view.
Old 14 June 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Didn't tattoo primarily used to denote status until very recently?
I've never heard that. I'm talking about the ancient or even prehistoric world. The Ice Man who was found preserved in the Alps was covered with tattoos. Various other mummies (of different statuses) appear to be no less decorated. Ancient and prehistoric art also seems to show what look like tattoos. Some of them are anyone's guess what they mean but some of them are obviously pointing out specific points on the body (for example as in ancient or modern beliefs about such points). Some are more pictorial. So I highly doubt they were used only to denote status.

Maybe they had ways to make it somewhat safe but it seems to me an infection in 2500 BC is likely to kill a person. So I wonder why they would have gone through all trouble if we hadn't evolved to be attracted to such marks. Then it all makes sense. They might have made explanations from medical to personal without ever understanding the real reason the practice went on.
Old 14 June 2013, 10:52 PM

Icon07

Quote:
So I would be utterly delighted to hear the reasoning behind this frankly (imho) insulting point of view.
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=228
Old 15 June 2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Hurr hurr. I want to hear fitz1980's reasoning. I'm well and truly capable of figuring out what GenYus was saying.
Old 15 June 2013, 02:28 AM

I honestly don't understand how a tattoo can mean sexual availability or promiscuity. Let's say it is a "small of the back" tattoo. Whether or not that's the intention, it will draw attention to a woman's bum. Speaking as a man, I'm going to look there. I'm going to look if it's covered in metallic spandex, or burlap. The tattoo is like an accessory, though one that's always there. I don't think it means "I'm sexually available" any more than any other article of clothing (save, say, a wedding ring, which isn't clothing, but jewellery. Not to imply that simply being unmarried isn't equal to being "sexually available".) Didn't people - mostly men - used to say this about women who wore heels?

FWIW - the wedding ring thing - made me remember how once I saw a woman wearing rings on 9 of her fingers. Multiple rings in some cases, and even on her thumbs. Every finger except the 4th finger of her left hand. She must have liked jewellery - it all looked like real gold at least - but even in wearing that, there was a message. I don't think there's any such message with a tattoo.
Old 15 June 2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Hurr hurr. I want to hear fitz1980's reasoning. I'm well and truly capable of figuring out what GenYus was saying.
First, let me say that I am tattooed myself.

Perhaps I didn't word my earlier post correctly; but my point was that I think that being more sexually liberated is a good thing, even if it may get you labeled as "easy" among some of the general population.

Personally when I see people with visible tats/piercings; I take that as a good thing because it often signifies that the person isn't repressed & more the kind of person I'd get along with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
I really don't think this is the case anymore. Body art is pretty mainstream these days.

Sorry!
In the post where I called out to you I didn't specifically mean body art. I was talking about how I think that stuff that gets a person labeled easy/promiscuous (casual sex, bi-sexuality, multiple partners) aren't a bad thing to be hidden;but positive stuff to be embraced and shouted from the rooftops if you are into them.

Since you are one of the most open posters on here about your sexuality how you like that stuff I called out to you figuring that you would support the idea that those are good things, rather than urges that people should be ashamed of.

Also I do apologize to both Ryda and LadyLockeout for offending.

Last edited by fitz1980; 15 June 2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old 15 June 2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
Personally when I see people with visible tats/piercings; I take that as a good thing because it often signifies that the person isn't repressed & more the kind of person I'd get along with.

Also I do apologize to both Ryda and LadyLockeout for offending.
When I see someone with piercings or tattoos, I generally thing "nice ink/rings" or "not nice ink/rings". Beyond that, I don't even try to speculate. A tattoo is a tattoo. A piercing is a piercing. That is body modification, not sex. Yes, some people with tattoos and/or piercings may be more sexually liberated. There are plenty others, of which I am one, who are not. Being slapped with an "easy" label for any reason is demeaning on multiple levels, and the fact that someone arbitrarily will decide that I'm easy because I have ink makes me spitting mad. It's a body mod. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Apology accepted. Thank you.
Old 16 June 2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
My 72 year old mother got a tattoo the last time I visited her. It is on her shoulder and sometimes visible. Does that mean I need to have 'the talk' with her because she's going to be on the make now?
Are you my cousin? My 72 year old aunt recently got her 4th tattoo. On her shoulder.
Old 16 June 2013, 03:56 PM

I don't have a problem with people who wish to have multiple partners. Go for it say I. However, I don't think there's anything wrong or "uptight" "un-liberated" in those who prefer monogamy. To each his/her own. I don't think it necessarily says anything about their personal philosophy. I'm pretty darn liberal, easy going, live and let live, but I don't have ink and I probably never will. That's not because I think it's "dirty" or bad. I just can't think of anything I want on my body permanently and I'm OK with needles in a medical sense, but I'm not going to get poked for the sake of art.
Old 16 June 2013, 04:24 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaD View Post
Are you my cousin? My 72 year old aunt recently got her 4th tattoo. On her shoulder.
I don't think so, this was my mom's first tattoo.
Old 17 June 2013, 06:47 AM

Skull

Quote:
The Ice Man who was found preserved in the Alps was covered with tattoos.
Although "Ítzi" (the Ice Man) has several tatoos, he isn't "covered" with them - nothing like a maori-style tattoo here. The tattoos are located at places that show signs of bone degeneration and may be connected with therapies like acupressure or acupuncture.

Wikipedia with further cites

vanishingtattoo.com has pictures
Old 17 June 2013, 07:23 AM

I have some piercings: tongue, lip, nose, eyebrow, three in each earlobe, and also one small tattoo on my right shoulder blade. Although I am very open minded and nonjudgmental and very accepting of other lifestyles, personalities, etc, I don't even like participating in handshakes, let alone anything that could have me labelled as 'easy'. I think you can't put people in groups like that and make sweeping generalizations. We are all too different, even with some similarities.
Old 17 June 2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Although "Ítzi" (the Ice Man) has several tatoos, he isn't "covered" with them
Thanks for the correction! Still, I think he's one example of many that show tattoos were relatively common, if not ubiquitous, across many ancient and prehistoric societies.
Old 17 June 2013, 10:25 AM

That seems to be true: The Tattoo Museum

Additionally, Ítzi's tattoos would not have been of much use in denoting status: all of them but the one on the wrist would have been covered by clothing.
Old 18 June 2013, 07:59 PM

Icon108

Quote:
"Well, I think I'll get a tattoo but I'm on the fence. I was thinking of a unicorn on my ankle. Or maybe something cool like an Egyptian ankh! Let's see what it says in the scientific literature..." Right.
You need the "Love and Commitment" tatoo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoFdVqDPATA
Old 18 June 2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure which POV was the insulting one, if it was mine then I apologize.