snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 16 May 2013, 11:34 PM

Frying Pan Sex Fetish Festival Canceled In Canton

A fight in court over a sex fetish festival that was set to come to Canton this weekend. Wednesday night, the community moved to block the adult entertainment. That racy event was set to take place at DuBurns Arena this coming weekend, but now a court battle has derailed those plans. Erotic whipping, polyamory and rope bondage are just some of the classes that were being offered at Touch of Flavor, a bondage and sadomasochism convention.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/0...-sex-festival/
Old 17 May 2013, 01:04 PM

Ah, thank goodness it's not Canton, MI. Keep it in Vegas, thankyouverymuch.
Old 17 May 2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagurit View Post
I'm pretty sure participation was not mandatory, nor was it out in public. Also, not in Vegas.
Old 17 May 2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Really? Why?

Denver hosts one every single year. It's a great event for those of us involved in BDSM. Not only does it offer TONS of educational opportunities which makes play safer, hotter, and saner, it's a wonderful networking opportunity.
Old 17 May 2013, 06:09 PM

Canton is a neighborhood in Baltimore, near the harbor and east of the more heavily touristed Fells Point. I used to eat there occasionally at a 24 hr diner called the Sip 'n Bite, which had some of the best crab cakes in town.

Nick
Old 17 May 2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
“You cannot have nudity and sex acts in a facility geared towards sports for kids,” said Greg Marsh, Canton Community Association.
It's not as if they'll be going on at the same time. Is the building going to somehow be tainted and unusable for children's activities after being used for an adult one? Also, somehow I suspect the extent of the "nudity and sex acts" is being overblown, and the event isn't the giant orgy its opponents are making it out to be. It sounds like more an educational expo. Ryda, since it sounds like you've attended similar events in the past would you be ok with explaining a little more about what goes on at them? Are there any live demonstrations involving sex acts? Is it common/normal for people to be nude at them, either presenters or atendees?

And another quote from the article:
Quote:
The arena, which is right next to a playground...

...“We do not pass judgment on what it is they are electing to do; they just can’t do it in close proximity to children,” said attorney Susan Green.
I assume the "close proximity to children" is about the playground next door. Even though the event is going to be entirely inside a building, hidden from view from the playground by walls (presumably windowless ones too since the building is an arena). By that logic people who live next door to playgrounds shouldn't have sex in their own homes with curtains drawn because there might be children "in close proximity".
Old 17 May 2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Ryda, since it sounds like you've attended similar events in the past would you be ok with explaining a little more about what goes on at them? Are there any live demonstrations involving sex acts? Is it common/normal for people to be nude at them, either presenters or attendees?
The answer is, it varies, depending on the event.

Partial nudity is common. Full nudity not so much.

Yes, there are usually dungeons set up for various scenes, some of which do involve sex acts.

Yes, there are presentations that will involve sex acts.

But it certainly isn't all sex all the time.
Old 17 May 2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryda Wong, EBfCo. View Post
Really? Why?

Denver hosts one every single year. It's a great event for those of us involved in BDSM. Not only does it offer TONS of educational opportunities which makes play safer, hotter, and saner, it's a wonderful networking opportunity.
I didn't know that. My apologies. Keep it in Vegas and Denver, thankyouverymuch.
Old 17 May 2013, 07:02 PM

The article implies it's inside the Du Burns arena, which is an indoor soccer arena (or at least was, when I lived in Maryland -- I've played some rec soccer there), so it may not be accessible to passers-by.

Nick
Old 17 May 2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I didn't know that. My apologies. Keep it in Vegas and Denver, thankyouverymuch.
Again, why? What do you think will happen?
Old 17 May 2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I assume the "close proximity to children" is about the playground next door. Even though the event is going to be entirely inside a building, hidden from view from the playground by walls (presumably windowless ones too since the building is an arena). By that logic people who live next door to playgrounds shouldn't have sex in their own homes with curtains drawn because there might be children "in close proximity".
Quote:
Might there be any partially-nude attendees walking from the parking lot to the arena, in view of the children on the playground? Of course, parents could just take their kids somewhere else for the day, but I guess I could see concern if there were half-naked people in fetish gear taking smoke breaks where kids could see them.
Old 17 May 2013, 09:50 PM

Not impossible, of course - when you have that many individuals it's impossible to predict what they'll all do - but it's pretty unlikely. People in general tend to prefer discretion around these events.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Might there be any partially-nude attendees walking from the parking lot to the arena, in view of the children on the playground?
No naughty bits. No more than a child would see at a swimming pool certainly.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:34 PM

In that case, I'd say it sounds as though people are getting worked up over nothing. I suspected as much, but wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 17 May 2013, 10:40 PM

Honestly, the people who organize these things and those that attend them demand good behavior. Hotels and venues are already going out on a bit of a limb to host them, and, if people behave badly, then it makes it harder to find venue.
Old 18 May 2013, 12:15 AM

Yow!

Sheesh, yeah, keep it in Dandalk, hon.
Old 18 May 2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
What a shockingly rude statement.

People enjoy this sort of activity everywhere in the world, and there is absolutely no reason they should be able to partake of it when and where they wish provided that all legal directions are followed. It's not as if they're expecting you to host it in your front living room.
Old 18 May 2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Again, why? What do you think will happen?
I don't care what people do as consenting adults. BDSM isn't my cup of tea, it's true. I realize it has its niche. I'd rather it stay more a niche. Conventions are promoted. I'd rather not pick up one of our Entertainment rags and see it being promoted. I said in my first post, with a sigh of relief, glad it wasn't Canton MI they were talking about. That stands, for me. I'm not accusing or condemning anybody. Lord knows we have to get the most we can out of life and everyone has a different idea of what that is.

So, if you believe I'm someone who disapproves of your lifestyle, I can't change your mind. You're free to think what you want and you don't need my permission.
Old 18 May 2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
The answer is, it varies, depending on the event.

Yes, there are usually dungeons set up for various scenes, some of which do involve sex acts.
I've been to several in Atlanta and around here it varies based on the nature of the event and based on the venue. If it's general admission, where anybody (18/21 and up) can show up, pay the cover charge and get in the restrictions are tighter. Usually women have to cover their nipples, everybody has to cover their genitals & no opened sex.

If the event is an official private party, where (theoretically) it's all invite only than opened nudity and sex in the common areas is OK.

Some of that has to do with the venue itself & how they are licensed and some just based on the nature of the event. I knew one venue that was listed as a multi-use space so on some nights they hosted events where full nudity & public sex was allowed but on other nights it was "keep your junk covered, but everything else is cool." It just depended on the event & the promoters who threw it.

On general admission nights (where admission is basically like any club/bar/ball game) the police can do a walk-through any time they want to make sure that naked people don't offend the delicate sensibilities of somebody who paid money to attend an event called "Spanksgiving" where the flier had a thong clad butt & a paddle pictured on it. Since it's general admission it's still considered a public space.

If it's a private event than the police can only enter with a warrant or probable cause, same as if it was somebodies house. It did get a bit confusing at some events because there was so much overlap between the people who attended both events. Sometimes you would have to remind yourself, "that was OK at last week's event, not OK this week."

Also add me to the list of people who would like to ask tagurit - What do you think will happen if someplace hosts such an event & why are you against it? Nobody is requiring you (or anybody else to attend.) They will keep their actions inside the walls of the venue; so where is the problem?
Old 18 May 2013, 03:17 AM

Say what you will about Hoodwinked! but the frog detective's line "we don't arrest people for being creepy" has become something of a motto for me when it comes to this type of situation.

FTR, I don't find BDSM creepy. Just uninteresting from a non-anthropological standpoint.