snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 28 April 2013, 09:33 PM

Icon220 A Real-Life Window Into How Virginity Obsession Hurts Teen Girls

The Lifetime reality series Preachers' Daughters shows what happens when families become fixated on "purity."

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/arc...-girls/275077/
Old 29 April 2013, 01:38 AM

Reading that made me feel extremely ill.
Old 29 April 2013, 03:13 AM

Royalty

made my 15 yo and 12 yo daughters feel ill as well..
Old 29 April 2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Take the example of purity rings—each of the daughters wear one at points in the show.
I'm sure there's someone - in fact, I'm sure there's thousands of someones - out there who, entirely by their own choice, after carefully considering all their options and the repercussions of each, decided that staying a virgin was 1) a huge life style choice that was right for them 2) that they wanted to make said choice without being pressured into it by friends, family, or society and 3) decided to announce that choice to the entire world with a ring. However, I have never met one of those people, despite having had to endure a sales pitch/emotional blackmail session each of my four years of high school. Every last person I met who did shell out the money for a ring (or their folks did) was wearing it because they felt pressured to, or were wearing it ironically*. Even the kids who were absolutely intending to remain a virgin until they were married (some of whom took a good deal of flak for that choice, too) felt pressured into wearing the rings; it was their choice, but they had no desire to flaunt it to the world. Surely someone is using the product as intended, right?

*There were shades of irony - and that's not really the right word in all the cases - ranging from "Eh, if I ever get a date I'm probably going to have sex, but this gets my parents off my back" to "I bought the ring to make my parents happy, despite the fact I'm already having sex" to the photo passed around of her hand clearly wrapped around her boyfriend's (or someone's) penis, ring plainly visible on her finger.
Old 29 April 2013, 11:53 AM

I've known some people who stopped wearing the rings because people asked lots of questions about them and they realized they didn't want to have discussions with strangers about their sex lives (or lack thereof, I suppose). This didn't cause any big stir.
Old 29 April 2013, 12:44 PM

Massively, massively off-topic, but I'm sorta amazed that Nikita Koloff not only still uses his ring name for preaching but also passed it on to his wife and daughters. Kayfabe is dead man! You were born in Minnesota, not Moscow, remember?
Old 29 April 2013, 01:54 PM

What I don't get is that no one seems to acknowledge that there's a middle ground between having teenage sex (not that I necessarily think that's the wrong thing to do for some people) and waiting until marriage. I'd have a little more respect for the message if it was "Wait until you're emotionally ready to add this factor into a relationship". I guess marriage is a much clearer line to define, and that makes it easier than having to have an icky, frank talk about sex with your kids, but the only choices aren't a) Teenage Slut or b) Pure as Snow on your Wedding Day.

That was the route my liberal atheist parents took with me and my siblings. I think we all turned out all right and have made good decisions with our various partners along the way. Back when my high school boyfriend wanted to have sex, I thought about it and decided that I wasn't ready. That didn't mean I had any intention of waiting until marriage, especially since the average first marriage age is around 30 in Canada. I wanted to wait until I felt a little more secure and confident in myself, felt a little more in control of my life, and, obviously, had a partner I wanted to sleep with (don't get me wrong - my ex was a great friend, but the fact that he ended up coming out of the closet the following year says something for my instincts there). Unfortunately, I think that rather than forcing people to hold off on sex until they're emotionally ready, saying 'Wait until marriage' can lead to a lot of very young people entering into what's supposed to be a lifelong contract before they're ready to make that commitment. It seems common in these circles for people to get married in their late teens or early 20s. If you're not emotionally mature enough (or with the right partner) to have sex, how on earth are you in the right place to tie yourself to that person for all of eternity? Having a signed piece of paper doesn't suddenly change that! It's not like going down to the courthouse and getting a marriage license would have made my high school situation right for me - I could have had 'church approved' sex, but I also would have been married to a gay man.

Really, I'd love it if we got to a point where most people were educated and self-confident enough that we could assume they were making the best choice for themselves. Someone having sex in their teens wouldn't necessarily be an immoral slut, and someone choosing to hold off until their 20s wouldn't have to be a prude with serious issues. I'll admit that I still have trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of entering into a marriage without having experienced what will be a very important part of the whole relationship (even if you only have one partner your entire life, I'd still see marriage as a step that happens after everything else - sex, housing, discussions about children and life goals - is in place), but if someone does choose to go that route, I'd like to think it's because the two partners mutually decided that that was best for their relationship rather than being shamed into it by threats of hell and sex placed on a mountain-high pedestal.
Old 29 April 2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
What I don't get is that no one seems to acknowledge that there's a middle ground between having teenage sex (not that I necessarily think that's the wrong thing to do for some people) and waiting until marriage.
Our Whole Lives sort of does. I can't recall the exact words, but the curriculum says something to the effect that young teens are generally better off postponing sexual activity until they are more mature. It refreshingly doesn't suggest that there's a specific age or life event at which sexual activity magically, universally becomes appropriate for everyone.

Of course, only awful librul permissives like me enroll their kids in Our Whole Lives.
Old 30 April 2013, 02:38 AM

Soapbox

I suppose I should get on my soapbox that I hate the concept of turning what should be a private conversation between these girls and their parents into an entertainment seen and heard by the many all in the name of "reality television," a complete contradiction in terms if ever there was one.

Oh look I just did.
Old 30 April 2013, 05:25 AM

The voyeuristic aspect of such shows is pretty revolting.
Old 30 April 2013, 07:15 AM

I totally agree. It's exploitive and, in this case, exploiting children who can ill afford an even more destructive growing environment.
Old 30 April 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
Massively, massively off-topic, but I'm sorta amazed that Nikita Koloff not only still uses his ring name for preaching but also passed it on to his wife and daughters. Kayfabe is dead man! You were born in Minnesota, not Moscow, remember?
He legally changed his name in 1988. Many wrestlers did this to keep the character's name if they changed to a different promotion. Often the name would be the property of the promoter, not the wrestler. IIRC, The Ultimate Warrior did the same thing.
Old 30 April 2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I'm sure there's someone - in fact, I'm sure there's thousands of someones - out there who, entirely by their own choice, after carefully considering all their options and the repercussions of each, decided that staying a virgin was 1) a huge life style choice that was right for them 2) that they wanted to make said choice without being pressured into it by friends, family, or society and 3) decided to announce that choice to the entire world with a ring.
In high school, I more or less planned on waiting until marriage - but I certainly didn't care to announce it to the world or even to my friends. I also remember being annoyed at the pledges to that effect, which always brought religion into the equation whereas that was not the case with my decision. (Which I ultimately didn't stick to, but that's another matter.)
Old 30 April 2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
IIRC, The Ultimate Warrior did the same thing.
Pretty much, though he actually changed his name to "The Warrior" so he could use that name when he signed with rival WCW. So, he could be called "The Warrior" but not "The Ultimate Warrior." This was usually close enough that no one cared about the difference, but once or twice he or someone else would have to catch themselves. "And it's the Ultimate... uh... the Ultimate Challenge."

Also, from what I understand, Warrior is insane. Like, the character he plays on TV? That's not a character. He really acts like that. He's also a homophobe and believes in tinfoil-hat level conspiracies.
Old 30 April 2013, 03:13 PM

I never planned on "waiting until marriage," despite the fact that it was the only option presented to me growing up.

I'd have been FAR better off had someone explained to me healthy sexuality, self-respect, and stating my own desires. And I'm not the only one from a background like mine who would have been better off with that education.
Old 30 April 2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
What I don't get is that no one seems to acknowledge that there's a middle ground between having teenage sex (not that I necessarily think that's the wrong thing to do for some people) and waiting until marriage.
I think more families than not do exactly that. Parents IME are realists and they know that it's extremely unlikely that their kids are going to wait until marriage before they have sex. Most of the parents I know personally are just happy if their kids wait until they're out of their teens before they present mom and dad with a grandchild.

Anyway middle ground, common sense approaches to life don't tend to make for good reality TV. Which is too bad. People like watching train wrecks it would seem.
Old 30 April 2013, 03:56 PM

How do you think Jerry Springer managed to stay on the air for so long?
Old 30 April 2013, 04:00 PM

And even with Springer gone (he is gone?) there is no shortage of shows that have similar set-ups. "Who's the baby daddy" seems like an eternally popular theme with much screaming, bleeping of profanity and throwing of chairs. And that's just what I see as a I am flipping the channels .
Old 30 April 2013, 05:19 PM

I agree with Sue. Most parents now are pretty open with their kids regarding sex and waiting until they are really ready. I thought one of mine would never be ready and was pretty happy when that kid found someone. No one should go through life without a partner(s) because of fear and anxiety.

My parent's generation, now is a different kettle of fish. My mother was convinced until the day she died that I was a virgin when I got married. I think she knew somewhere but denial ain't just a river in Egypt especially where my mom was concerned.

As far as this show? It's really disgusting that anyone would put their lives on display, but that seems to be the way things are now. Maybe I am old fashioned, but whatever sexual choices you or your kids make should be between/up to you, your kids, your family, or family court depending. Private lives shouldn't be public entertainment. It's just so...ugh!
Old 30 April 2013, 05:28 PM

As with so many other things, the reasonable approach doesn't get much attention, partly because it is more common than the extremes, and partly because it doesn't make good TV.