snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 25 April 2013, 03:44 PM

Most obvious reason to be denied entry into the US? In my experience it is a suspicion of the person working in the US without permission to do so. I don't know if this is a subset of the "intention to immigrate" case, which is just a way to say "intention to stay beyond the permitted duration of visit", but US Customs and Border Patrol has always been more interested in my intention (or lack thereof) of working illegally in the US, than any disease I had, or anything I was bringing in to the country. Such would be the statement of almost anyone coming to visit the US, even from Canada.
Old 25 April 2013, 04:19 PM

I wonder if your home country would have anything to do with the lack of disease questions? Rightly or wrongly, most serious infecious diseases are associated with third-world countries. Anyone coming from a first-world country, especially one with good healthcare, would be presumed to not have any of the real nasty, easily transmitted ones.
Old 25 April 2013, 04:57 PM

The masses can't huddle too close together, since they can't bring condoms.

Old 25 April 2013, 05:03 PM

I'm still wondering why she was searched and held for two hours the first time. Was it initially just a random customs check screening? Did she do or say something "suspicious" to cause the officers search her more thoroughly? (She says her bag was searched at least five times.) Did she have, like, 40 condoms piled on top of the "sexy lingerie" at the top of the bag? (Not that this is in any way wrong of course; however, more details might shed light on why she was held the first time.) She says she routinely carries condoms "in purses, wallets, camera bags; everywhere" which does give me a mental picture of someone unzipping her bag and being bombarded with dozens of loose condoms scattering all over the floor. Again, not in any way wrong or deserving of the alleged treatment, but more details would help her story.
Old 25 April 2013, 05:51 PM

Perhaps she tried to hide the condoms, which would have seemed very suspicious, although it does not seem that she is at all shy about them.

As I think about it, though, sealed condom packages would be a GREAT way to smuggle drugs. Condom packets should not be opened, as the condoms are essentially then ruined. The drugs could be made into a paste and squirted into the package before it was sealed, and would feel like lubricant. Perhaps this is a ploy which has been used before, and the border guards had condoms on their list of items to watch for, particularly if they were more numerous than seemed necessary for the period of time in-country.
Old 25 April 2013, 05:53 PM

Though that would lead to questions about Teh Drugs, not Teh Sex and Teh Married Man.
Old 25 April 2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moku View Post
Though that would lead to questions about Teh Drugs, not Teh Sex and Teh Married Man.
And the agent should tear the condom wrapping open, dip his finger in it, then taste it and say "Yep, that's them drugs!"

Old 25 April 2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
Most obvious reason to be denied entry into the US? In my experience it is a suspicion of the person working in the US without permission to do so.
Ah, that explains it all, then. We can't have Canadian hookers sneaking into our country and stealing jobs from our hard-working American prostitutes.

I would certainly like to believe she made this whole thing up, or that it is at least grossly exaggerated. If it's true, I hope she has detais she hasn't published (names and badge numbers of the agents involved, for instance) and is pursuing the matter officially, perhaps through the Canadian government.

Me, I'm the kind that thinks we should be pleased at the notion of foreigners travelling with condoms. It suggests they are less likely to add to the spread of STD's, and are probably not planning on spawning any "anchor babies."
Old 25 April 2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
which does give me a mental picture of someone unzipping her bag and being bombarded with dozens of loose condoms scattering all over the floor.
Hijack - this actually happened to me once. I was at a bachelorette party, and one of the organizers had a party game planned that involved handing out free condoms. None of us were aware of that at that point, and as we were stepping out of the car, the little suitcase she was carrying popped open and spilled over 100 wrapped condoms all over the sidewalk (right in front of a street-level balcony that was packed with people having their own party. We got lots of applause).
Old 25 April 2013, 06:14 PM

It is impossible to say exactly what occurred without any corroboration. If I were a creative writing student looking for something to write about I think I could pretty easily manipulate the border guards into a good story, that is so long as I could edit the story to my liking. Even if one were quoting, picking the right few sentences to summarize a five hour encounter could make the story appear any number of ways. I'm not accusing her of doing this, but it is impossible to tell how much thruth and how much truthiness there is in her story.
Old 25 April 2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
... it is impossible to tell how much thruth and how much truthiness there is in her story.
That may be the biggest issue - like Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant Massacree: there was a restaurant run by an Alice, and he was arrested and pled guilty to a littering (or similar minor) charge, and the judge was blind, and the sheriff's name was Odie, and he did go through draft rating in NYC; beyond that there is a whole heck of a lot of embellishment.

Last edited by A Turtle Named Mack; 25 April 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 25 April 2013, 07:30 PM

So, would people be less suspicious of her story if there were no mention of Creative Writing in her bio?
I would have thought that she would play that down if she were trying to sell fiction as fact, rather than have it tagged right at the end of the article.
She did mention in the second article linked, I think -unless it was in comments- that she had a complaint in progress.
Old 25 April 2013, 07:34 PM

the responses of "omg this must be BS we don't do that!" just furthers the rape culture denier problem, imho

Because of things I have seen, read, and experienced firsthand, I have no trouble believing this article. I wish I did. I would love to believe this is BS in every sense of the word. But I have experience first hand with how authorities in this country treat women they think are sex workers. It happens. That's been proven time and time again.

Just this time they happened to do it to someone who could really get the word out about it. And I say good for her.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:25 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLockeout View Post
the responses of "omg this must be BS we don't do that!" just furthers the rape culture denier problem, imho
Is this in the article? I didn't see anyone defend the agent.

But, I'm on a really slow internet connection and can't watch video, so I only read the OP and the commentary here.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:31 PM

No, the commentary on this thread. Some people have said their "bs meters" are going off.

Why? This NFBSK happens. The OP is just able to get it out there more publicly than most.

ETA: I have had people in positions of authority over me abuse it in ways very similar, and in other ways. I have no problem with believing this article at face value based on my own personal experiences with authority figures in this country. (police, border, etc)

Last edited by LadyLockeout; 25 April 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:42 PM

Baseball

Sorry. I did not see the "OMG" reaction on this thread you said was here.

I did not know that on a board that is part of a site dealing in rumour, urban legends and tales that a short article scant on details is to be taken at face value.

And it has even been stated that they need more information, but for the moment, things don't add up.

No promulgation of "rape culture" here to my eye.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:46 PM

The fact that this sort of thing happens does not necessarily mean it happened in this case. Neither does the fact that it's happened to LadyLockeout.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:52 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
The fact that this sort of thing happens does not necessarily mean it happened in this case. Neither does the fact that it's happened to LadyLockeout.
I concur. We all have our filters through which we view this experience called life. LLO's filter leads her to believe this at face value. Other people's filters don't allow it at face value. However, claiming that because some posters don't view it as LLO does is promulgating rape culture (imho) is mildly offensive.

Especially when some of the posters are avid proponents of eliminating rape culture in our society.

I understand why she did it, I just don't think it fits. I don't have a dog in this fight over this article. I was just hoping to clarify for myself whether I missed something because of the hyperbole of the response to what I had read.

No harm, no foul.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:52 PM

Opinions differ, which is why I classified it with "imho".

It is my opinion that some replies on this thread have been rape culture denial. *shrug* ETA: And I find that offensive.

Everyone is free to disagree with me, of course.
Old 25 April 2013, 08:55 PM

I'm skeptical of most things I read on the internet and I don't automatically take one-sided stories at face value. The fact that my BS meter is pinging over her story does not mean that this didn't happen -- it just means that I want more information because things don't add up. The fact that she is currently writing a book about the sociology of sexual assault -- and currently raising money to help fund the publishing of said book (see link at the end of her article) -- does make me wonder if she (subconsciously or not) is looking for attention or promotion for her book.

It may be 100% accurate, but you can't fault people for being skeptical of things in such light.