snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 25 July 2015, 05:35 PM

Or all the bad "nature strikes back" Sci-Fi has caused us to stop taking the dangers of real wild animals seriously.
Old 25 July 2015, 06:05 PM

I think also it has to do with how animals are portrayed in documentaries and such - not a lot of emphasis is placed on their danger aspects and when it’s done it may not be given the right contact - or it’s done as sensationalism.

I do think that lack of exposure to animals though is a larger thing - we don’t get real life exposure to animals in their real life habitats. We get them in controlled doses on TV which is edited for mass appeal or sensationalism or in other controlled environments like zoos. Not a heck of a lot of people regularly go out in the woods or the wild and get regular exposure to wildlife in dangerous scenarios so any violence to humans is viewed as outliers.

I don’t think we lost our fear instinct per se - we still have it, it’s just that we don’t get exposed to wide variety of threats and therefore we never had fear of certain things because of how they get portrayed to us.
Old 25 July 2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
We have lived in the city to long and lost our fear instinct for animal.
Not me. An unexpected kitten will make me jump out a window.
Old 25 July 2015, 08:23 PM

I think it might be part of a wider phenomenon, which I first remember running into probably forty years ago. I was visiting on the West Coast, and there had been a storm; some people went out to stand on the cliffs overlooking the ocean to watch the storm. Chunks of that cliff fall off from time to time during such storms, including as it turned out that one; and one of them took a couple of people with it, who did not survive. There was a contingent of those reacting to this who seemed to feel that it should be safe to stand on an undermined cliff edge watching the pretty storm, and that the Coast Guard was responsible for not having somehow made it safe to do so.

I think that there are some people being so carefully raised in safe environments, or environments that they think of as safe, that they think the universe is supposed to be made safe for them; and have trouble getting through their heads that many things in the world are inherently dangerous -- cliff edges, bison, rhinos, dogs with new puppies who don't know the person coming at them, cows with calves ditto, et considerably cetera.
Old 25 July 2015, 08:33 PM

We have a term for those people here: Nenshi Nouns.

Back when we had massive flooding in 2013, our mayor, Nenshi, had to give people a talking to about going on the river (note, these were people checking out the flooding or boating for 'fun', not people escaping the flooding) and forcing emergency personnel to put their lives at risk to save them. Since then, 'Nenshi Noun' is a common way to describe people stupidly putting themselves at risk in the city.

This image has been posted a few times when someone is doing something dumb and posting it to social media.

Last edited by quink; 25 July 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 25 July 2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I lived in Banff for 4 years and it was the same thing with people and the elk. We gave them a wide berth, but the tourists were always trying to get close for pictures. Only place I've worked where 'there was an elk (or a bear) in the way' was an acceptable excuse for being late.
Not so much here, but in Florida I more than once was stuck in my house because of an alligator on my porch, or hanging out by my car.
Old 25 July 2015, 09:54 PM

Yet there are just as many people who are unreasonably afraid of wildlife, or at least don't have any understanding of which wildlife are dangerous and which are not.

I mean, read any news article about Wolves, and there is mention of how dangerous wolves are to people, how wolf fearing people believe nobody would support wolf reintroduction if those people had to live in the area where the wolves would be reintroduced, and so on. Yet, wolves are some of the least dangerous to human wildlife out there. Prairie dogs kill more people (through disease) than wolves do. Moose are extremely dangerous - but it is the wolves people fear.
Old 25 July 2015, 10:01 PM

I know, and it is ridiculous. A lot of times they are the same people, even. A farmyard animal they are unreasonably brave around, but a meat eater is oh so scary. Or even all herbivores, sometimes. A deer is cute, not a great big animal the size of a horse with a whole bunch of pointy things on top of its head. A cow is peaceful, not a ton of solid muscle that may or may not be well disposed towards humans. Pigs are "Wilbur" or "Babe", instead of "I will totally try to eat you if you get too close".

But mention wolves or coyotes, and on would swear they personally were beating off packs every time they step out of the house.
Old 25 July 2015, 10:50 PM

Thats an important thing to point out - we as people have a ridiculous disparity in things that we fear on a daily basis that have no real relation to reality. We worry about things way more as a society and therefore downplay the actual level of threat that such things actually pose.

Most people absolutely don’t see things like pigs, horses and cows as major threats - most see them at most as farm animals. What they don’t get exposed to is that these are powerful animals that can kill you (I believe that pigs are considered apex animals since they will go after anything they can).

Many people have a totally distorted view of where they see themselves on the grand scheme of life. They don’t know what is dangerous and what is not. It’s ignorance.
Old 26 July 2015, 03:48 AM

When I was not much more then a toddler, Dad and his mate took me to check do something. Cause they weren't going to be long they left me in the truck. When they came back there was a huge feral cow right up against the truck. Their instinct was to just wait but I was still in the truck so they moved slowly up to the truck only to find me leaning out the window patting the cow and say "nice doggy"

But on the topic of people underestimating risk. A few years ago, well actually a few decades ago, a cyclone (hurricane) was threating Brisbane. Now I grew up in Townsville, a town in the tropics. And ever year or so a cyclone threatens Townsville. Most don't hit but you have to be prepared.

Anyway so we were getting the warning for this cyclone and I was preparing to go on holidays with my best friend and her family. We were at her house getting ready to go and I pointed out they might want to put their outdoor funture somewhere a bit more secure. Their reply "It will be safe up against the house under the veranda roof wont it?" Me "Ummm no" They then decide I was overly concerned about the cyclone and need assurance.
Old 26 July 2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Yet there are just as many people who are unreasonably afraid of wildlife, or at least don't have any understanding of which wildlife are dangerous and which are not.
When I used to walk to work through the woods I told some colleagues who were over from India on short-term contracts that I sometimes saw foxes. One guy looked terrified and asked if I wasn't scared that they would attack me! I think he'd probably seen all the tabloid scare stories of foxes breaking into houses and trying to eat babies...

All the while I was thinking "but you're from India - there are parts of India where people still get eaten by tigers!" (I think he was a city dweller and not from anywhere near any of those places, though...)
Old 26 July 2015, 12:30 PM

Richard, it seemed funny to me that your first thought of animal dangers in India was tigers. If only for the reason that the'r numbers are so depleted, I knew tigers could not be the primary danger. Besides, like so many animals, they prefer to avoid humans. However I had read that it was quite common for snakes, including cobras, to enter homes at night for the warmth and for the rodents seeking food. Sure enough, this article confirms that snakes are by far the biggest cause of humans' death by animals in India. BTW, I also thought elephants would rank higher, for the reason of so many people working in such close proximity with them.
Old 30 July 2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
We have a term for those people here: Nenshi Nouns.

Back when we had massive flooding in 2013, our mayor, Nenshi, had to give people a talking to about going on the river (note, these were people checking out the flooding or boating for 'fun', not people escaping the flooding) and forcing emergency personnel to put their lives at risk to save them. Since then, 'Nenshi Noun' is a common way to describe people stupidly putting themselves at risk in the city.

This image has been posted a few times when someone is doing something dumb and posting it to social media.
That's hilarious. The only thing I've seen comparable to that is Governor Christie having to tell people to get their rear ends (not the term he actually used) off the beach when Hurricane Sandy was charging up the coast churning up major waves.

It was the one time he's said anything that I agreed with.
Old 30 July 2015, 02:52 AM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent View Post

I mean, read any news article about Wolves, and there is mention of how dangerous wolves are to people, how wolf fearing people believe nobody would support wolf reintroduction if those people had to live in the area where the wolves would be reintroduced, and so on. Yet, wolves are some of the least dangerous to human wildlife out there. Prairie dogs kill more people (through disease) than wolves do. Moose are extremely dangerous - but it is the wolves people fear.
I'm scared of the black bears that regularly go through my neighborhood, because they have shown they are no longer scared or shy of humans. I'm not concerned about the coyote tracks I've seen in my yard, though, because I've never actually seen them- they're really skittish of humans, so I figure it's pretty unlikely they're going to go for me as a food source.

And I have people telling me that the bears are soooo cuuuute and OMG coyotes are PREDATORS!
Old 30 July 2015, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
That's hilarious. The only thing I've seen comparable to that is Governor Christie having to tell people to get their rear ends (not the term he actually used) off the beach when Hurricane Sandy was charging up the coast churning up major waves.

It was the one time he's said anything that I agreed with.
Now, due to the strange tangents my brain works on, I'm picturing Governor Christie standing closer to the rhino.
Old 30 July 2015, 12:15 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
And I have people telling me that the bears are soooo cuuuute and OMG coyotes are PREDATORS!
That may be the reason the bears are too used to humans - they get treated like cute stray dogs rather than dangerous wildlife. I'll bet some of those people make a point of throwing food for the bears, too. That creates a problem for both bears and people.
Old 18 September 2016, 10:58 PM

Whalephant Elephant tramples tourist to death in Malindi

An Italian tourist was on sunday trampled to death by an elephant while taking pictures of the animal at Swara Camp, Kulalu ranch within Tsavo National Park. Police said Fernando Mocclola, 66, spotted the elephant at a watering point a few meters from the camp and curiously moved closer to take pictures when the animal attacked him.
http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2016/...lindi_c1422475
Old 18 September 2016, 11:18 PM

Do not taunt the happy fun elephant.
Old 19 September 2016, 12:23 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Or all the bad "nature strikes back" Sci-Fi has caused us to stop taking the dangers of real wild animals seriously.
[Slightly OT Rant] I still remain disappointed that Sharknado's the movie that ended up going huge thanks to the Internet. C'mon, Ghost Shark is way more satisfying when it comes to the kills. A ghost shark that can appear out of any body of water, even if it's just a paper cup of water from the water cooler, c'mon you can't tell me there are no comedic possibilities there? Plus Ghost Shark went so far as to kill kids, something a lot of horror movies don't do.

If all our TV and radio waves keep going into space, where aliens can find them, I'd wonder if they'd develop the belief that human children are basically immortal until they hit puberty. Though they will certainly believe that dogs are. Can kill any number of humans by the score, but a movie will rarely go so far as to kill a dog.
Old 19 September 2016, 01:38 AM

We are in Hilton Head, SC, for a weekend getaway. Yesterday Mrs from Georgia and I were in a restaurant with a mom, dad, and two daughters in a nearby booth. One of the girls was worried because she'd seen warning signs at a pond: Alligators in pond--do not feed!

The dad offered advice: "Alligators can't hurt you. They're slow. You can just run away from one. And they're weak. Even a big alligator couldn't kill a small dog, so they can't hurt you."

My wife wouldn't let me jump up and yell, "Lies!"

But later I got an idea for a movie script: "Alligatornado".