snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 15 January 2013, 03:18 PM

D'oh! 'Stand closer to the rhino' results in grave wound

When do you not listen to the African wildlife expert? When he tells you to stand closer to the rhino.

That suggestion by a South African game park owner resulted in serious injuries to a 24-year-old woman from Johannesburg.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...01-15-05-42-17
Old 15 January 2013, 03:34 PM

I should think that "stand closer to the rhino" is advice we should all ignore, no matter who gives it to us.
Old 15 January 2013, 04:40 PM

Unless there was an extremely sturdy fence between myself and the rhino, yes.

(Incidentally, I did once get told to stand closer to the rhino when there was an extremely sturdy fence between us. It ended with me scratching the rhino behind the ears, which they apparently really enjoy. It was at a local animal park where my dad was on the board of trustees when I was a kid, so I got taken into the back areas where normal visitors weren't allowed during all the VIP events.)
Old 15 January 2013, 05:48 PM

I once once allowed to pet a baby rhino and I fed it a leaf. The way it chomped up the leaf, I think if I had not let go, it would have bitten my hand once it got to the end of the leaf.

It felt like I was petting a suitcase. Not much flex in that skin.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:00 PM

Cow Taiwan teen gored by bison at US park

A 16-year-old Taiwanese girl suffered serious but non life-threatening injuries after a bison gored her as she posed for a photograph at Yellowstone National Park.

http://news.yahoo.com/taiwan-teen-go...194714263.html

I had heard this story on radio, and thought it belonged with the 'stand closer to the rhino' story. The park statement has the gist of it: "wildlife is wild."
Old 18 May 2015, 08:13 PM

I've herd that that's a fairly big problem in Yellowstone. People see the bison and think that they're just shaggy cows, but A) bison are really aggressive and the average bison can charge at three times the speed that the average tourist can flee and B) cows are mean, too.
Old 18 May 2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I've herd that that's a fairly big problem in Yellowstone.
Was this unintentional, or did you buffalo me?
Old 18 May 2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
B) cows are mean, too.
I was talking to a friend from Iran about walking in the English countryside because she was convinced that there might be dangerous animals about. I told her that the most dangerous animal you were likely to meet was a cow, and she wouldn't believe me...
Old 18 May 2015, 09:08 PM

When my daughter was 8, we were visiting the badlands and wanted to see the bison heard. Rumor had it, the heard was just over a nearby ridge line. We hiked up to the top of the ridge; while doing so I realized that the heard might be just out of sight. I told my daughter that if when we came to the top of the ridge the bison were very close she should turn around and run. She asked me what I was going to do and my only answer was 'try to slow them down'.

I'm glad the bison were no where to be found.
Old 18 May 2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Was this unintentional, or did you buffalo me?
I didn't set out to deliberately make that pun, but it was too good to pass up.
Old 19 May 2015, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I was talking to a friend from Iran about walking in the English countryside because she was convinced that there might be dangerous animals about. I told her that the most dangerous animal you were likely to meet was a cow, and she wouldn't believe me...
Ran into the exact opposite problem when I was a waitress in New Mexico. We had to remind our European visitors to carry water with them, stay on the marked trails, and please remember that the bears are not tame.

Oh, and that guy in a cowboy hat at the counter isn't a real cowboy. The real cowboy is that guy over there wearing the feed lot baseball cap.
Old 19 May 2015, 02:22 PM

I lived in Banff for 4 years and it was the same thing with people and the elk. We gave them a wide berth, but the tourists were always trying to get close for pictures. Only place I've worked where 'there was an elk (or a bear) in the way' was an acceptable excuse for being late.
Old 19 May 2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
When my daughter was 8, we were visiting the badlands and wanted to see the bison heard.
Some years ago I visited Wind Cave National Park, which has a bison herd. We parked our vehicle and went a few hundred yards away to do a bit of work. As evening came on it started to get a bit cold and rainy, so we decided to head back to the truck. Just as we were deciding to do that, a large old bull bison ambled along and laid down right next to the truck, on our side of the truck. It seemed very comfortable there, and in no hurry to move, chewing its cud and napping a bit. We were not about to approach it, those old bulls can be dangerous.

So we waited, getting colder, wetter and more miserable for the better part of two hours before it decided to move on. To tell the truth, it was kind a neat reason to be cold, miserable and late. A person can get a sort of a bragging right from that sort of thing.
Old 19 May 2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yup. We have ranchers that graze cattle on the open lands around the front range in Colorado (the east side of the Rocky Mountains). Several people have been injured and some even killed when they ticked off a cow.
Old 19 May 2015, 05:12 PM

People are regularly trampled to death by cows here as well - it seems to happen a couple of times a year or so. It's usually women out walking their dogs.

I think I did specify "apart from people and dogs", but you can meet people and dogs anywhere, not just in the countryside.
Old 25 July 2015, 12:23 PM

Cow Bison Selfie Turned Into Mississippi Woman's 'Most Frightening Experience'

Brandi Burgess has new respect for wildlife. The Flora, Mississippi, resident was flipped and tossed by a bison at Yellowstone National Park Tuesday after posing for a selfie in front of the animal with her daughter.

https://gma.yahoo.com/bison-selfie-t...pstories.html#
Old 25 July 2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I lived in Banff for 4 years and it was the same thing with people and the elk. We gave them a wide berth, but the tourists were always trying to get close for pictures. Only place I've worked where 'there was an elk (or a bear) in the way' was an acceptable excuse for being late.
I did a race in Banff that was re-routed because of a grizzly on the course. The new course running out and back on Tunnel mountain sucked, but not as much as being grizzly food would have.
Old 25 July 2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quink View Post
I did a race in Banff that was re-routed because of a grizzly on the course. The new course running out and back on Tunnel mountain sucked, but not as much as being grizzly food would have.
But that would have been a great chance to set a new personal best time!
Old 25 July 2015, 03:34 PM

Remember, you don't have to outrun the grizzly, just the person next to you.
Old 25 July 2015, 04:30 PM

We have lived in the city to long and lost our fear instinct for animal.