snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 16 January 2013, 01:22 PM

Made it to ME2 for the second time in 3 weeks. Imported my level 59 (didn't get to level 60, but I didn't think I would) femShep, but I'm going to true to Kaidan throughout the series this time. (Last time I left him for Garrus.)
Old 16 January 2013, 03:11 PM

Funny, dumping him for Garrus was exactly what I was thinking of doing this time. I just hit level 59 last night, and I've only got a little bit more of the game left to complete. I'm pretty much certain that there's no possibility of actually hitting Level 60 before I finish the game at this point. Not unless I start getting a bunch more XP for kills. I do not want to do a third playthrough with the same character.
Old 16 January 2013, 03:34 PM

Am I the only person who fond Kaiden insufferable? When it came time to choose between sending him or Ashley to their death, I had no problem making that choice.
Old 16 January 2013, 04:42 PM

My first time on ME1, when I was playing it on the 360, I found Kaidan to be such a boring character that I only kept him alive once (to get the Sentinel Ally achievement). This time around (on the PS3) I'm keeping him alive primarily because I let him die so many times previously.

Also, he's actually a better character in ME3 than Ashley is- he's now a tank and she's not, thanks to Barrier and Reave while Overload takes down shielded enemies and Cryoblast debuffs armored foes. Ashley's powers, by comparison, are fairly weak- for the most part she feels more like a clone of Garrus but with a very slight difference in powers- Disruptor Ammo instead of AP ammo, Inferno Grenade instead of Proximity Mine, and Marksmanship instead of Overload. Also, Ash doesn't seem quite as headstrong in ME3, which I rather miss.

So to answer your question, chillas, I liked Ashley a lot more in ME1, but not in ME3 and right now I'm trying for a full playthrough of all three games.
Old 16 January 2013, 04:48 PM

I found them both really annoying in both games. I guess Kaidan was more actively annoying, and with Ashley it was more that I couldn't get past her xenophobia and other attitudes. I never took either of them on missions when I had any other choice.
Old 16 January 2013, 04:59 PM

In ME1, Ash was almost unkillable- only Wrex compared and she had more HP to his greater health regen (and he also had Barrier on top of Shield Boost and Immunity). She did come across as pretty racist a couple of times, but really I never found it to be as bad as some people seemed to think, especially since Garrus was also fairly racist (but in a condescending way instead of a NFBSK all you aliens way, and he did apologize if called on it by Wrex or Shepard). Plus if she was in your party when you talked to the Tea Par- I mean Terra Firma candidate on the Citadel after the Normandy was grounded, she delivered one of the most epic verbal beatdowns in the entire trilogy and she never let her views on aliens affect her ability to work with them.
Old 16 January 2013, 05:19 PM

I rarely picked my party based on tactical reasons. I picked who I wanted to hang out with for several hours.
Old 16 January 2013, 05:35 PM

That's what I do, erwins. My party in ME1 is almost always Kaidan and Garrus. Sometimes Liara and Garrus, but always Garrus. ME2 is always Garrus. The second person depends on what I'm doing, but Kasumi is usually pretty good. ME3 is always Kaidan and Garrus. Always Garrus every playthrough.

I love my Kaidan and Garrus. Usually, I go with Garrus, but I want to have a playthrough where I'm loyal to my ME1 LI, so it's Kaidan this time.

Chillas, I kill Ash every time. Can't stand that insufferable "holier than thou" vibe I get off her. That and she's not Kaidan. *shrug*
Old 16 January 2013, 05:39 PM

Oh, yeah, Ashley was definitely annoying, too. I never took her on missions, either, but I wasn't quite wishing her dead the way I was Kaiden.
Old 16 January 2013, 06:23 PM

And I'm the opposite. Wishing Ash dead every step. Funny how different people see the characters!
Old 16 January 2013, 06:30 PM

Definitely!
Old 18 January 2013, 02:58 AM

I actually made 60th level in Mass Effect! Did it after beating Vermire (which was the final planet I went to) then getting taken back to the Citadel- while on the Citadel I got enough Renegade points that upon stealing the Normandy to go to the final mission, I triggered the message from Admiral Hackett for the Renegade bonus mission- so I made a little detour from saving the galaxy from imminent destruction to take out a petty warlord.
Old 18 January 2013, 08:21 PM

Jolly Roger

Having fun with Far Cry 3 but when did it become de rigueur for every game to have a dream sequence?
Old 18 January 2013, 08:57 PM

Wow Croc! I was still over 160k from leveling up! Unfortunately, I started with a level 47, and I think that's what did it.
Old 18 January 2013, 10:20 PM

I think I missed a few mineral deposits on some of the uncharted planets, and I know I missed at least one of the Thresher Maws, but other than that I believe I found every last enemy, crate, and resource. One thing that helped was killing Thresher Maws on foot- stuff you kill with the Mako is only worth 1/3rd the XP.

Now I've moved on to ME2, and that obnoxious reporter needs to update her dental records again.
Old 19 January 2013, 11:29 PM

Did the dental work directly follow a disingenuous assertion?
Old 19 January 2013, 11:41 PM

Oh yeah. I decided to try a Renegade playthrough since I almost always end up playing a Paragon (with a few exceptions where I know that taking the Paragon option gets a better end result, like in Project Overlord).
Old 20 January 2013, 08:22 PM

There are a few things in Assassin's Creed III that never seem to work for me. It's as if they were introduced into the game too early, or the developers changed their mind about how they worked part way through.

One is lockpicking. You can find locked chests and have to go through the usual elaborate lockpicking ritual of rotating the sticks into the right positions and then pressing the trigger repeatedly (it's rather fiddlier than most lockpicking in games). But then, usually, nothing happens - the chest doesn't open. Once or twice I think it's opened, but I've also randomly been given a "key" to all the chests in an area, which lets you open them without needing to pick the lock. I don't know if the game just doesn't want you to pick some of the locks until it's ready, or if it was an old idea that they changed for the idea of getting keys, but left in by mistake, or whether I'm just doing it wrong - but I don't think I'm doing it wrong. You do it right but the chests don't open, for no obvious reason.

Also, the "Encyclopedia of the Common Man". You're supposed to target people on the homestead and press the left trigger to document them (or at least, I think that's what it said - the instructions appeared once, briefly, and now seem to be unavailable). But it only ever tells me "Invalid target". Surely some of the people I've targeted are woodcutters, or farmers, or doctors or whatever. They're hanging around lumber mills sawing wood, or doing the other things you'd expect that kind of worker to be doing. It's as though I'm not allowed to do that part of the game yet - but it made the mission available and let me start it. If I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm somehow meant to be targeting more specific woodcutters, it's not obvious what or how.

I thought the frontiersmen and hunting society missions might be similar, because when I started the first ones, they gave me instructions that made no sense, and didn't mark a starting point on the map. It seemed as though I was supposed to start the mission from a different position, where the instructions about looking for clues around the camp, or searching for animal tracks at the homestead bore some relation to the things that really were nearby. Later on, after going back to the wilderness having done a few more missions (a few days later in real time) there were some more mission markers (nowhere near my previous starting points), and going to those ones started the missions properly. But I still wonder if I was supposed to have started those missions by talking to people in different places than I did.

All the clubs and side missions have been a bit like that. Somebody tells you about them randomly, and they don't really seem to fit with the other things you're doing. You get a list of challenges from nowhere, without visiting a clubhouse or central location to start off. It's never quite clear whether you're somehow doing them out of sequence before you're supposed to. There's nothing much you can trade or manufacture in the trading convoys until you've got a lot more people on the homestead and done some homestead missions, yet they tell you about them quite early when there's no real reason to have to use them. I found a fort in the wilderness and randomly liberated it, without really knowing why I was doing so. And so on...

The game itself is pretty good - it's just the plot and missions seem rather disjointed at times.

(eta) Tch, I just tried opening the chest again, and it opened this time. It seems you're meant to hammer RT quite quickly. I was trying to push it in time to the actual movement of the lever thing, which always got right to the end (as I assumed it was supposed to - it looks like a progress indicator) but the chest didn't open. When hammering RT, it only got half way along and I thought I'd slipped and dropped the position of the sticks, but then the chest opened. It's a fairly annoying mechanism...

Last edited by Richard W; 20 January 2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 20 January 2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
There are a few things in Assassin's Creed III that never seem to work for me. It's as if they were introduced into the game too early, or the developers changed their mind about how they worked part way through.

One is lockpicking. You can find locked chests and have to go through the usual elaborate lockpicking ritual of rotating the sticks into the right positions and then pressing the trigger repeatedly (it's rather fiddlier than most lockpicking in games). But then, usually, nothing happens - the chest doesn't open. Once or twice I think it's opened, but I've also randomly been given a "key" to all the chests in an area, which lets you open them without needing to pick the lock. I don't know if the game just doesn't want you to pick some of the locks until it's ready, or if it was an old idea that they changed for the idea of getting keys, but left in by mistake, or whether I'm just doing it wrong - but I don't think I'm doing it wrong. You do it right but the chests don't open, for no obvious reason.

Also, the "Encyclopedia of the Common Man". You're supposed to target people on the homestead and press the left trigger to document them (or at least, I think that's what it said - the instructions appeared once, briefly, and now seem to be unavailable). But it only ever tells me "Invalid target". Surely some of the people I've targeted are woodcutters, or farmers, or doctors or whatever. They're hanging around lumber mills sawing wood, or doing the other things you'd expect that kind of worker to be doing. It's as though I'm not allowed to do that part of the game yet - but it made the mission available and let me start it. If I'm doing something wrong, or if I'm somehow meant to be targeting more specific woodcutters, it's not obvious what or how.

I thought the frontiersmen and hunting society missions might be similar, because when I started the first ones, they gave me instructions that made no sense, and didn't mark a starting point on the map. It seemed as though I was supposed to start the mission from a different position, where the instructions about looking for clues around the camp, or searching for animal tracks at the homestead bore some relation to the things that really were nearby. Later on, after going back to the wilderness having done a few more missions (a few days later in real time) there were some more mission markers (nowhere near my previous starting points), and going to those ones started the missions properly. But I still wonder if I was supposed to have started those missions by talking to people in different places than I did.

All the clubs and side missions have been a bit like that. Somebody tells you about them randomly, and they don't really seem to fit with the other things you're doing. You get a list of challenges from nowhere, without visiting a clubhouse or central location to start off. It's never quite clear whether you're somehow doing them out of sequence before you're supposed to. There's nothing much you can trade or manufacture in the trading convoys until you've got a lot more people on the homestead and done some homestead missions, yet they tell you about them quite early when there's no real reason to have to use them. I found a fort in the wilderness and randomly liberated it, without really knowing why I was doing so. And so on...

The game itself is pretty good - it's just the plot and missions seem rather disjointed at times.

(eta) Tch, I just tried opening the chest again, and it opened this time. It seems you're meant to hammer RT quite quickly. I was trying to push it in time to the actual movement of the lever thing, which always got right to the end (as I assumed it was supposed to - it looks like a progress indicator) but the chest didn't open. When hammering RT, it only got half way along and I thought I'd slipped and dropped the position of the sticks, but then the chest opened. It's a fairly annoying mechanism...
Sounds like you figured out the lock picking so just to comment on the encyclopedia. The ones you want to target are the people that you recruited to come to the settlement.
Old 22 January 2013, 05:12 PM

Those ones were also giving me an "invalid target" message, and most of them still are. Since they're indicated specially on the map, and clearly work in the professions you're meant to find I assumed it would be them to begin with, but it didn't work so I then assumed they were the ones you weren't meant to scan. It still doesn't work most of the time.

I managed to scan the two farmers after posting that (one of them twice....? Why make me find three farmers if you're allowed to use the same ones again?) and completed that task, but the others still tell me they're invalid targets.
Closed Thread