snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 29 July 2012, 12:16 PM

Default Doctor Who

The last thread seems to have been bumped. I guess it is between seasons everywhere. But I went of to the "Brisbane Dr Who Fan Club" today. The showed "Spearhead From Space" which is the 1st John Pertwee episode. Apparently the Dr has a habbit of stealing clothes from (medical) doctors (and cars). This featured Caroline Johns as Dr Liz Shaw. A research scientist. I was impressed that the lab looked resonibly realistic (was that a earily 70's version of a mass spectometer I saw her using?)

The second was a John Baker story called "The Riboss Operation" the first of the "Keys of Time" and featured Mary Tamm as Romana, which, form what I can gather, is a female time lord.

Episode were choosen because the actress that played the companions have recently died Caroline Johns on the 22nd of July and Mary Tamm on the 26th of July. Both companions were intelligent women, that didn't take any of the Dr normal nonsense treatment. A sad lose for the Dr Who community.

Both companions were intelligent women, that didn't take any of the Dr nonsense treatment.
Old 29 July 2012, 11:31 PM

There's been quite a bit of filming on the go, a few episode titles revealed, etc. Probably too much to get into here, but the gist is that Series 7 will start towards the end of August, with half the series being shown before Christmas and half shown in the new year, with a Christmas special in between.

On an unrelated note, we were flipping channels and found Journey's End playing on Space channel. They cut out the entire bit where Donna's memories are erased (also the whole beach scene with Rose.) Skipped right from the Doctor letting Jack, Sarah, etc. out in that park to Donna walking in to the room saying she was sleeping on the bed in her clothes and her phone had gone mental. Sure hope no one was watching that for the first time!
Old 30 July 2012, 07:26 AM

They did talk about when we in Australia would be getting the new season at the club but I didn't pay much attention because it would be a while.

I did win a poster by knowing on what instrument the original theme music was played.
Old 30 July 2012, 08:06 AM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
I did win a poster by knowing on what instrument the original theme music was played.
I hope you pointed out that it was a trick question: the original theme wasn't played on any instrument.
Old 30 July 2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeebleFetzer View Post
I hope you pointed out that it was a trick question: the original theme wasn't played on any instrument.
Well I can't remember exactly how the phrased it. I said it was electronic and was trying to think how you pronoused it when they said "Close enough" and handed it to me.

They had heaps of posters so I don't think they were over-concerned about accuracy.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:34 AM

Without being too spoilery, the first episode sounds VERY interesting - it's called

Quote:
Aslyum of the Daleks, and will feature every type of Dalek ever seen in Who
The first showing is on August 14th at the BFI in London, hoping we'll hear some news about it after that.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Ben Browder in a guest role in Series 7.
Old 30 July 2012, 02:35 PM

Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post

On an unrelated note, we were flipping channels and found Journey's End playing on Space channel. They cut out the entire bit where Donna's memories are erased (also the whole beach scene with Rose.) Skipped right from the Doctor letting Jack, Sarah, etc. out in that park to Donna walking in to the room saying she was sleeping on the bed in her clothes and her phone had gone mental. Sure hope no one was watching that for the first time!
My kids were fuming at that. i had to get out the DVD so we could watch the end properly.
Old 30 July 2012, 05:35 PM

Donna was the best companion The Doctor ever had. No sexual tension, she could make him more "human" - told him what to do half the time - and doesn't even get to remember any of it? Totally unfair.
Old 30 July 2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
My kids were fuming at that. i had to get out the DVD so we could watch the end properly.
The BF was joking that there's now probably someone out there who is blissfully unaware that anything ever happened to Donna. (And will be incredibly confused if they ever watch End of Time.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thera View Post
Donna was the best companion The Doctor ever had. No sexual tension, she could make him more "human" - told him what to do half the time - and doesn't even get to remember any of it? Totally unfair.
I have so many feelings about this. It's super sad, but I liked it as a plot device. I do wish we could've had at least one more season of Ten and Donna though. (My idea was that Journey's End could have happened exactly as it did, except the Doctor would find some way to take out the Time Lord bit without erasing all her memories. But then, throughout Series 5, she'd start having random moments where the DoctorDonna would pop in again, save the day a few times, and then in the finale they'd both realize that the Time Lordy part was still killing her, and then he'd erase her memories. It'd be even more sad if she'd been around longer, I think.)

The "defense mechanism" in End of Time really annoyed me though. Every now and then it pops into my head and I get all riled up again.
Old 30 July 2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
The second was a John Baker story called "The Riboss Operation" the first of the "Keys of Time" and featured Mary Tamm as Romana, which, form what I can gather, is a female time lord.
Did I really type John Baker. Where did that come from? It Tom Baker of course . John Pertweee and Tom Baker. While have vague memories from my childhood of John Pertwee, Tom Baker was my first Dr. Serious case of not concentrating.

Yeah Bringthenoise, you jogged my memory, they did tell us that.
Old 30 July 2012, 11:44 PM

New Zealand

I was watching the opening of the Olympics, and during the Tim Berners-Lee sequence, I mentioned to the kids that it would be cool if Dr Who was included - and then towards the end of Bohemian Rhapsody we all heard the TARDIS materialising. I thought we may have just heard what we wanted to hear until I found a link on Youtube (which has since been yanked). Apparantly they wanted to do tributes to Dr Who, Monty Python and Coro but cut them due to time constraints. All that was left was a sound effect mixed in.
Old 31 July 2012, 01:47 AM

More information on new episodes here, including titles and cast: (spoilers)
http://www.combom.co.uk/search/label...Who%20Episodes.

A new trailer is also due on Thursday at 8pm BST.
Old 31 July 2012, 05:24 AM

Cowboy

Ooooh, the Doctor is headed back to the wild west again. I do hope they work in some horses.

BTW did anyone else get a kind of Westworld vibe out of the picture at the above link? It looks like the Doctor is messing around with a cyber cowboy.
Old 31 July 2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejtronic View Post
More information on new episodes here, including titles and cast: (spoilers)
Who are you, River or something?
Old 31 July 2012, 03:59 PM

What's the over-under on dead Rory's this season? I bet it will be pretty low after all the flak they got over previous seasons.

Also, does anyone know if they'll address the question which must not be answered in this season or will it be in a later season?
Old 31 July 2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Also, does anyone know if they'll address the question which must not be answered in this season or will it be in a later season?
I don't know for certain, but I'd bet on it being a big set-up for the 50th Anniversary specials.
Old 01 August 2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
What's the over-under on dead Rory's this season? I bet it will be pretty low after all the flak they got over previous seasons.
Well, (spoiler) Amy and Rory's last episode is the one directly before the Christmas Special and Stephen Moffat keeps hinting that one of them is going to die so likelihood is high?
Old 01 August 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Ummm? Is the answer 42? (Sorry in joke alert)
Old 01 August 2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheNoise View Post
I'm also looking forward to seeing Ben Browder in a guest role in Series 7.
I hadn't heard that (haven't really been keeping up with it lately), but that seems like it would be good. I really liked him in Farscape (which is one of my favorites and may have me biased), but I wasn't nearly as happy with him in Stargate. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I think that having Claudia Black in SG as well made it more difficult for me to see him as somebody besides John Crichton.
Old 02 August 2012, 04:32 PM

Season 7 trailer on Facebook.