snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 05 October 2009, 05:58 PM

Read This! Warning label at McDonald's

Comment: Apparently the FDA forced McDonald's corporation to add this Warning Label at the bottom of the Nutrition Facts. Is this true or false?

Old 05 October 2009, 06:05 PM

The FDA didn't do it, but Prop 65 in California could require it.
Old 05 October 2009, 06:06 PM

I don't know if the warning is true or not, but it is true that acrylamide spontaneously forms when food containing sugars and amino acids is cooked at high temperature. See the FDA page on "Acrylamide questions and answers."

Nick
Old 05 October 2009, 07:20 PM
Vextas

I am inclined toward believing it is fake. One reason being, the English used seems a little odd - "may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here." Shouldn't it be "sold and served"? Or are McD's now giving away food/drink for free?
Meh, I am nitpicking
Old 05 October 2009, 10:27 PM

I just have trouble with the idea that someone is going to go into McDonald's and then see this on the food they have ordered and paid for and not eat it. It's like putting a warning on a cigarette - you don't see it until it's out of the pack and on the way to consumption.
Old 05 October 2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
I just have trouble with the idea that someone is going to go into McDonald's and then see this on the food they have ordered and paid for and not eat it. It's like putting a warning on a cigarette - you don't see it until it's out of the pack and on the way to consumption.
And like the cigarette warnings don't stop people from smoking, that warning is not gonna stop anyone from eating a Big Mac.
Old 05 October 2009, 10:44 PM

Roll eyes

I don't know why anybody would think someone would fake something so mundane as a standard health warning.
Old 05 October 2009, 10:53 PM

Every building I go in here in California has similar signs. I don't think it's that big of a stretch to think that they'd put them on other things.
Old 06 October 2009, 10:59 AM
Vextas

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
I don't know why anybody would think someone would fake something so mundane as a standard health warning.
The statement "Chemicals known to cause cancer" is not fact, as the notice implies. Also, acrylamides form in many foods for many reasons beyond what is mentioned. Tests have been carried out to determine if there is a definate link between acrymalides and the development of cancer, specifically bowel cancer.
It was determined that no consistant evidence linking these chemicals to any form of cancer could be found. There is also zero evidence that acrymalides cause birth defects. In short, there is more chance of choking to death on some fries, than developing cancer from eating them.

"Warning - Food may present choking hazard"

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Leg...-warning-rules
Old 06 October 2009, 02:45 PM
BenPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vextas View Post
I am inclined toward believing it is fake. One reason being, the English used seems a little odd - "may be present in foods or beverages sold or served here." Shouldn't it be "sold and served"? Or are McD's now giving away food/drink for free?
Meh, I am nitpicking
Sold or served covers all possibilities. If they say sold and served then if, for some reason somebody gets a freebie then they will be covered. It seems to be on a lot of disclaimers.
Old 07 October 2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's supposedly on the food but other media used to relay the nutrition facts, like a poster or the like. Could be wrong though.
Old 07 October 2009, 09:45 AM

I've not visited California, so I've not seen many of the affects of Prop 65. I am curious though - it seems that that proposition would result in an so many warning labels, that it would lose its affect. Has it resulted in too many labels? And do people generally just ignore them now?

(Within the last couple of months, I read a little on the proposition, but it wasn't what I'd call an in depth study. It did make me wonder about the number of labels that would be required when I started seeing the types of substances covered though.)

Last edited by pickle; 07 October 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12 January 2012, 07:08 PM

Icon13

Similar sign from Starbucks:

http://www.30bananasaday.com/forum/t...ning-posted-in
Old 12 January 2012, 07:31 PM

Soapbox

Teh raw food advocates are probably behind this.

You can have my hash brown potatoes and cup of coffee after you pry them from my cold dead hands!!
Old 12 January 2012, 07:40 PM

Glasses

This is not a fake. California's prop 65 requires these warnings, and they're all over the place. I work in environmental law and we deal with these often.

Seaboe
Old 12 January 2012, 07:47 PM

Chef

As far as I know, California withdrew the requirement for posting acrylamide warnings for food products:

http://www.ncausa.org/custom/headlin...8&returnto=171

I can't recall having seen one of these signs in the last several years.
Old 12 January 2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
This is not a fake. California's prop 65 requires these warnings, and they're all over the place. I work in environmental law and we deal with these often.

Seaboe

When I bought bags of sand at the hardware store to make a sandbox for my kids, the sand has similar warning labels. Warning...sand will kill you.
Old 12 January 2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Are cigarettes different in Canada? Here the warnings are on the pack itself (and often on displays and advertisements) and you can clearly see them long before you've purchased and used the drug.. Of course cigarettes are at the point that anybody using them should be aware of the danger, warning or no.

As for here, while you may already be at the McDonalds surely you could notice this before buying your food, it appears to be on their standard nutrition sign which (again around here) is usually next to the counter on one side or another.

As for the warnings.. I am in no way qualified enough to comment on the risks of acrylamide, but I've heard some dissenting opinion.

ETA: I also don't mean to make light of cancer but there are sooooo many things that could possibly be linked to cancer (heck there are tons of things that definitely are linked to cancer) that putting a warning on them all seems.. I guess overblown. But if that's what California wants to spend its money on that's their business I guess.
Old 12 January 2012, 10:15 PM

I must say that I do get a chuckle when some product has a warning label saying "such and such is known by the state of California to cause cancer." I don't live anywhere near California yet see these labels. I can never figure out if it's a situation where California voters/lawmakers embraced some pseudo-scientific nonsense about some product causing cancer or they were just the only state with the guys to legislate a warning about it.
Old 13 January 2012, 02:15 AM

By the difference in color and that text and table that is partially covered. I would say this is a label that was added some time after bag was manufactured. Whether it was added by the store or someone else is not something the picture will tell you. Being it that their is some law that claims California know about something from testing that know one else seams to recognise or knows about. It is very possible that the store had to add these after the bags arrived at the store.