snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 05 February 2019, 01:40 PM

For 3 I'm assuming it's the only district in Seoul that people will know, Gagnam.

And for 7 I'm going with they never had children themselves. It's true of Lear and Carroll and I think Dr Seuss
Old 05 February 2019, 01:42 PM

3. Which of the 25 districts of Seoul, Korea is home to COEX, the world's largest underground shopping mall? Gangnam?
Old 05 February 2019, 01:48 PM

5. Zimbabwe (although I guess technically it was called what UEL said at the time, or Zimbabwe Rhodesia as the BBC used to refer to it when I was growing up.

6. I was going to say B (for Boron) until I saw TallGeekyGirl's answer (which I thought was right until I saw the others, and now I'm not sure again...!). I still haven't remembered the DNA base letters since the last question, even though there are only four of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by these children's authors? Margaret Wise Brown, Meg Cabot, Lewis Carroll, Louise Fitzhugh, Ezra Jack Keats, Edward Lear, Beatrix Potter, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein.
They were all drug addicts (or at least, regular users of what would now be considered class A drugs)? That's true of Beatrix Potter, I think. Or given the question, all childless? True of Beatrix Potter (again) and Lewis Carroll at least. I don't know if that's sufficiently unusual in general, but maybe in this context it is?

(eta) I didn't see the answers on this page. So given Steve's answer to 7, I'm going with my second guess.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:06 PM

I double checked and my answer for 6 is incorrect.
Old 05 February 2019, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Over the weekend, LeBron James and Kevin Durant wore jerseys numbered "7" to honor what player from a different sport--who hasn't worn that jersey number in over two years?
I suspect this may be a gimme question for those who watched the sportsball game. (misunderstood the question)
Quote:

2. What was unprecedented about the 1981-82 release of The Visitors, ABBA's final studio album?
Each person recorded their contributions separately.
Quote:

3. Which of the 25 districts of Seoul, Korea is home to COEX, the world's largest underground shopping mall?
Seoul has districts?
Quote:

4. What two-word title is held by the second-in-command on a U.S. Navy vessel?
Is this the First Officer?
Quote:

5. South Africa was, of course, the last white-ruled country in Africa. What country was second to last?
Rhodesia?
Quote:

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol?
I'm going with the first letter that came to mind: N
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these children's authors? Margaret Wise Brown, Meg Cabot, Lewis Carroll, Louise Fitzhugh, Ezra Jack Keats, Edward Lear, Beatrix Potter, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein.
I'm going to say they had no children. ETA, I know this is definitely true of Lear, Potter, Sendak, Seuss and Carroll.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 05 February 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05 February 2019, 03:54 PM

1. Over the weekend, LeBron James and Kevin Durant wore jerseys numbered "7" to honor what player from a different sport--who hasn't worn that jersey number in over two years? Must be Colin Kaepernick, and if so, good for them.

2. What was unprecedented about the 1981-82 release of The Visitors, ABBA's final studio album? It was released on CD?

3. Which of the 25 districts of Seoul, Korea is home to COEX, the world's largest underground shopping mall? Gangnam?

5. South Africa was, of course, the last white-ruled country in Africa. What country was second to last? Arrgh. I should know this one. Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia?)

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol? C

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these children's authors? Margaret Wise Brown, Meg Cabot, Lewis Carroll, Louise Fitzhugh, Ezra Jack Keats, Edward Lear, Beatrix Potter, Maurice Sendak, Dr. Seuss, Shel Silverstein. Pretty sure that they all illustrated their own works, but I don't find that all that unique among children's authors. Maybe they all began as illustrators before becoming more successful as authors?
Old 05 February 2019, 05:00 PM

1. Kaepernick.
2. No idea.
3. The only one I know, Gangnam.
4. First Officer.
5. No idea.
6. C is for Carbon, and for Cytosine.
7. I do know that Shel Silverstein had kids, so it isn't that. I'm going to go with they have a school named after them.
Old 06 February 2019, 12:40 PM

Wild guess at 7:

They all also did work for the military, explanatory pieces and/or propaganda.
Old 12 February 2019, 01:04 PM

Hello, all. Ken Jennings writes:
Good morning, Tuesday Trivia tryers. What's the rumpus? It's sad to be writing the quiz for the first time in a world without Albert Finney, but I think he would want us to soldier on.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Over the weekend, LeBron James and Kevin Durant wore jerseys numbered "7" to honor what player from a different sport--who hasn't worn that jersey number in over two years?
That was Super Bowl weekend, but LeBron and Durant were honoring someone who wasn't playing. Colin Kaepernick hasn't worn number 7--or indeed any jersey number--since January 1, 2016.

2. What was unprecedented about the 1981-82 release of The Visitors, ABBA's final studio album?
The Visitors was the first album ever pressed on compact disc. The LP and cassette tape came out in late 1981, but within the year it was out on CD as well, no doubt puzzling shoppers who had never seen such a thing before.

3. Which of the 25 districts of Seoul, Korea is home to COEX, the world's largest underground shopping mall?
Oppa Gangnam style.

4. What two-word title is held by the second-in-command on a U.S. Navy vessel?
He or she is the executive officer, or XO, and spends a lot of time arguing with the captain about Austrian horses and the Silver Surfer, if the movie Crimson Tide taught me correctly.

5. South Africa was, of course, the last white-ruled country in Africa. What country was second to last?
Ian Smith, the prime minister of Rhodesia, agreed to a multiracial democracy in 1978 in hopes of ending the country's long civil war, but it was too late and now it's Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

6. What's the only letter of the alphabet that's both a DNA base code and chemical element symbol?
C is used for both carbon and cytosine--which happens to contain plenty of carbon atoms.

These are children's book authors with no kids. (I hasten to add that this is not a particularly unusual distinction IN GENERAL, but it's obviously a little more notable and ironic among children's book authors.) I hope the preponderance of legendary queer authors (Fitzhugh, Sendak) and Victorian weirdos (Carroll, Potter) and both-of-the-aboves (Edward Lear) on the list helped you hit upon the right answer.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989?

2. The classic novel Little Women is set during what war?

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America?

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title?

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm?

6. What holiday does the word "paschal" refer to?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson.

Enjoy!
Old 12 February 2019, 01:14 PM

North American civil war

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title?

Shogun

Easter
Old 12 February 2019, 01:21 PM

1. Weinstein.

2. American Civil War.

3. Ragweed.

4. Shogun.

5. Evan Hansen.

6. Passover.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 12 February 2019, 02:21 PM

I feel compelled to answer this week, even though I'm embarrassed to say I should know the answers to a few that I'm only guessing.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989?
Eliot Ness?

U.S. Civil War?

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America?
Ragweed.

Shōgun?

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm?
The only Broadway hit I can think of with a male name in the title is Dear Evan Hansen.

Easter

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson.
They all have evil twins? Wait- That's not unusual.

By the way, Wikipedia says Shel Silverstein had two children.
Old 12 February 2019, 02:24 PM

The Civil War

Ambrosia a/k/a ragweed

Easter
Old 12 February 2019, 03:29 PM

1. Harvey Weinstein.
2. US Civil War?
3. Ragweed?
4. No idea
5. No idea
6. Easter
7. I'm going to guess, based on Elaine Bennes and C.J. Cregg, that the characters appeared on other shows unrelated to the show they came from.

And last week's question #7 is wrong. Shel Silverstein had kids.
Old 12 February 2019, 04:06 PM

Baseball

1. Haven't a clue. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

2. I'm going to guess the Crimean War

3. I am suspecting ragweed.

4. Yokazuna? I am highly certain I am wrong.

5. I can't think of any Broadway show involving a cast.

6. Finally, one I know. Easter.

7. I know more than half, but can't think about what binds them.

1 for sure, maybe a second this week.
Old 12 February 2019, 04:27 PM

Civil War

They must mean ragweed, but I can't think of the genus.

Easter.
Old 12 February 2019, 06:31 PM

Australia

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989? Butch Leprosy.

2. The classic novel Little Women is set during what war? The Pygmy Amazon Conflict.

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America? Hay

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title? Emperor Syllables

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm? Thanos, the musical.

6. What holiday does the word "paschal" refer to? A sickie due to stress.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson. They all giggle when you tickle them
Old 12 February 2019, 08:53 PM

These are children's book authors with no kids. (I hasten to add that this is not a particularly unusual distinction IN GENERAL, but it's obviously a little more notable and ironic among children's book authors.) I hope the preponderance of legendary queer authors (Fitzhugh, Sendak) and Victorian weirdos (Carroll, Potter) and both-of-the-aboves (Edward Lear) on the list helped you hit upon the right answer.[/QUOTE]

I call shenanigans. I'm almost positive Shel Silverstein had at least one kid.

Per Wikipedia:
Quote:
He had one daughter, Shoshanna Jordan Hastings, born June 30, 1970, with Susan Taylor Hastings of Sausalito, California.[22] Susan died on June 29, 1975, one day before Shoshanna's fifth birthday,[22] and Shoshanna died April 24, 1982,[23] at age 11, of a cerebral aneurysm.

He also had a son named Matthew, born November 10, 1984, with Sarah Spencer of Key West, Florida; Sarah drove a tourist trackless train and inspired Shel's song "The Great Conch Train Robbery."[24][25][26]
Now, Silverstein wasn't married to either mother, but apparently he did live with Sarah Spencer and Matthew for a significant time.

Oops - I see i was spanked by darth credence and ChasFink. Nonetheless, I claim points for the sharing of research. Anyway, here's my attempt at this week's questions:

1. The documentary Untouchable, which made a big splash at Sundance this year, is about what figure, closely associated with Sundance for over twenty years beginning in 1989? Harvey Weinstein?

2. The classic novel Little Women is set during what war? (American) Civil War

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America? ragweed

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title? shogun?

5. What Broadway hit has raised $325,000 by auctioning off its cast--that is, the cast worn every night by its title character on his left arm? Dear Evan Hansen?

6. What holiday does the word "paschal" refer to? Easter

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson. - Interesting collection!
Old 12 February 2019, 09:22 PM

I don't think I'd have got any of the others at all, except number 2 (which was a guess) but I was late to it and looked at people's answers anyway.

7 is interesting:

Quote:
What unusual distinction is shared by all these TV characters? Louie Anderson, Elaine Benes, C. J. Cregg, Elmo, Rudy Huxtable, Mister Rogers, Stan Smith, Dewey Wilkerson.
Based on C. J. Cregg being on the list I'm sure I should know it... but I don't know many of the others and I can't think of anything she has in common with Elmo. Pet goldfish? Hmm... I recently rewatched the first couple of series of the West Wing, but I've seen all of it in the past and I have a vague idea that she might have been revealed to be very ticklish at one point later on. Which given that one of the few things I know about Elmo is that there's a tickle me Elmo doll, is worth a guess.
Old 12 February 2019, 10:48 PM

3. What genus of plant, named for its tattered leaves, causes about half of all the hay fever cases in North America? Ragweed

4. Tokugawa Yoshinobu, who resigned in 1867, was the last person ever to hold what title? Shogun