snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 20 November 2018, 01:46 PM

That hardly sounds Romantic to me. ymmv
Old 20 November 2018, 02:00 PM

If the Byzantine Empire had survived into the 20th century, Italy would not have fallen into fascism, because the trains would have already have been running on time...

Also, it would have been an imperial system of government.

Old 20 November 2018, 02:12 PM

Italy wasn't part of the Eastern Roman (aka Byzantine) Empire!
Old 20 November 2018, 02:38 PM

France

I think the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine Empire would have fought a world-wide conflict over Italy, with dates exactly coinciding with the actual dates for WWI, but with Wilhelm II as a mere Archduke under his majesty, Paul (von Hindenburg) I, Holy Roman Emperor. Why? Because alt-history assumes that all the important people would somehow still have been born, only go on to different roles.

Anyways, this "not WWI" conflict would see millions killed in fighting in what is now Hungary, reaching a stalemate until the intervention of New France, with troops arriving for action throughout 1917 but not being ready to conduct large scale offensive operations until mid-1918.

Did I mention that Hindenburg--eh, I mean Paul I--became Holy Roman Emperor when the last one died aboard the Titanic, which conveniently sank on its way from Southampton, Britain to New York, New France in 1912?

Why did they still call it New York if the country ended up becoming New France, you ask?

Well, you see, for reasons that I've just pulled out of my ass, the British see themselves as successors to the Frankish line, which was wiped out in a Byzantine plot after the fall of Paris during yet another one of those wars to regain the old Roman Empire for Constantinople. So when they populated North America (just roll with it, but it's important to know that New France has been independent ever since Governor Louis XVI's--eh, I mean Louis Bourbon's--assassination in 1776) they decided they would honor their heritage by calling it New France, the land of the franks having been absorbed by that time into a resurgent Holy Roman Empire.

Also, guns still shoot balls, rather than cone-shaped bullets, because Claude-Etienne Minié (alone out of all people in this timeline) was never born (probably his parents were murdered by an infamous late 18th/early 19th century highwayman, name of Napoleon Bonaparte--perhaps you've heard of him?). And it would just be ridiculous to think that someone else would have developed a similar kind of projectile, right?

And that's my take on alternate history as a genre.
Old 20 November 2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
... a Byzantine plot ...
Do you mean a plot by Byzantium or an extremely complicated and convoluted plot?
Old 20 November 2018, 02:46 PM

Reading

Yes. And some characters.

Now, do I mean "[a]nd some characters" as a means of fulfilling the ten character requirement, or to indicate that numerous characters in the novel were involved in the plot?

Yes.
Old 20 November 2018, 02:52 PM

ASL, have you considered actually writing that? It sounds like fun. It also sounds like something in there is bubbling up out of the back of your head, trying to get out.

(Yes, I know, you're trying to satirize the genre. You can do that while writing in it. See, Color of Magic.)
Old 20 November 2018, 03:02 PM

I would have gone with Bill, the Galactic Hero, but the principle remains the same.
Old 20 November 2018, 04:25 PM

Call it "The Eagles at War"
Old 22 November 2018, 07:43 AM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Not to speak for others but I thought BrianB was simply taking issue with that one sentence in the OP article (not your posts, ASL): that it couldn't be considered "hastening" something that didn't happen until 900 years later.
You are correct. I actually find the investigation fascinating but that one sentence really bothered me.
Brian