snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 28 September 2018, 01:56 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,657
Default

I agree and I think it suggests an inverse relation with empathy (a trait also shared with narcissism).
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 28 September 2018, 03:51 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,050
Default

I think a bigger part of it is the location he gives.

Take a look at this video of Tony Robinson.

In the video, Baldrick does a Fat Tulip while walking around Melbourne. And if those five minutes are anything to go by, he’s a white person in a sea of white people (although if my own memories and Facebook timeline are anything to go by, the occasional Asian is there too).

...what do you mean you don’t know British comedy or kids shows?
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 28 September 2018, 06:14 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I think 'whining' universally refers to 'complaining about things I don't think are worth complaining about'.

The problem lies with the subjectivity of what is and isn't worth complaining about.

People rarely think of themselves as whiners, because people tend to believe that their own issues are real issues.
Ooh that's a really good definition, I never quite thought of it that way.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 28 September 2018, 05:28 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I was creating an equally ridiculous example of this made-up complaint of "cultural appropriation". That's a silly term that SJWs have created to try to male white people feel ashamed of being white. I have no reason to be proud or ashamed of my race, as I can only feel pride or shame about what I have done. To blame or praise me for the actions of others that share a skin tone is, what's the word.....racist?
Here’s the problem with that: your ridiculous example is complete nonsense.

Frat boy wearing an Indian war bonnet: Cultural appropriation, because it takes something held as sacred and reduces it to a dime-a-dozen accessory. That is a legitimate concern.

Woman bleaching/dying hair: a thing that is done all over the world. It has as much cultural relevance as owning a cat.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 30 September 2018, 06:40 PM
Spud Sabre Spud Sabre is offline
 
Join Date: 27 October 2009
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 1,687
Default

I would like to issue a correction regarding my previous post, as I don't mean to give the impression that I (or anyone should) assume the worst of the cartoonist and hold the most charitable interpretation of his actions to an especially high standard of proof. Just that there are a range of negative attitudes one could reasonably see be conveyed by the cartoon in question, regardless of the cartoonist's intentions.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 03 October 2018, 06:13 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Here’s the problem with that: your ridiculous example is complete nonsense.

Frat boy wearing an Indian war bonnet: Cultural appropriation, because it takes something held as sacred and reduces it to a dime-a-dozen accessory. That is a legitimate concern.

Woman bleaching/dying hair: a thing that is done all over the world. It has as much cultural relevance as owning a cat.
I don't believe in the whole idea of cultural appropriation. As an idea, it may have been a real problem, but nowadays, it only seems to apply to one particular culture.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 03 October 2018, 06:19 AM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I can't help but wonder, though, why he believes that most 'whiners' are from marginalised cultures. What is it about being, say, Native American that makes people want to whine for no good reason, I wonder?
When did I suggest I believed whiners are from marginalised cultures? Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Narcissists, IME, love to call other people selfish; it may be projection, but it may also be that they define selfishness as the failure to consistently accommodate, cater to and prioritize the narcissist's interests. They don't recognize their own behavior as selfishness. Similar thing with whining, maybe.
The same could be turned back on you. You are rejecting my thoughts out-of-hand and suggesting that your own ideas are the only ones to be used. That's exactly what you are accusing me of doing. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 03 October 2018, 07:08 AM
crocoduck_hunter's Avatar
crocoduck_hunter crocoduck_hunter is offline
 
Join Date: 27 May 2009
Location: Roseburg, OR
Posts: 12,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The same could be turned back on you. You are rejecting my thoughts out-of-hand and suggesting that your own ideas are the only ones to be used. That's exactly what you are accusing me of doing. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
That would only be an effective argument if you hadn't ignored the people who've explained why your ideas are wrong. And you weren't repeatedly rejecting everyone else's explanations.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 03 October 2018, 07:34 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I don't believe in the whole idea of cultural appropriation. As an idea, it may have been a real problem, but nowadays, it only seems to apply to one particular culture.
Yes, but you’re in a thread with people from multiple countries, almost all of which only share a majority white population and English speakers.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 03 October 2018, 09:19 AM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Maybe if I quote you, you'll answer? What culture do you think Osaka is from? What is she appropriating, and from what culture?
I think he’s trying to imply that since she’s ethnically not-White, she must be culturally not-White as well.

The trouble is that this implies that since Diane Kruger is white and her biggest role in English has been Sonya Cross in The Bridge, then she must be American. To get to that conclusion, you have to ignore that the character is supposed to be from Texas and that Kruger is actually German (she affects a strange “generic” accent, which is noticeable when the show is set in El Paso and Juárez).
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 03 October 2018, 09:57 AM
Gutter Monkey's Avatar
Gutter Monkey Gutter Monkey is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,102
Default

Note that damian's two assertions here which kicked off several pages of hijacked discussion actually have nothing at all to do with the question of whether the depiction of Williams was racist or not, they were just pure Whataboutery and are therefore attempting to muddy or distract from the actual discussion rather than contribute to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
But she has a blond pony tail. (Isn't that cultural appropriation?)
And the uproar over a cartoon is simply a distraction from Serena Williams' disgraceful tantrum.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 03 October 2018, 12:40 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
I don't believe in the whole idea of cultural appropriation. As an idea, it may have been a real problem, but nowadays, it only seems to apply to one particular culture.
If that’s your position and not just some trolling, then perhaps rather than making absurd claims that having one’s hair dyed blonde-ish is somehow cultural appropriation when no one, not even you, is seriously advancing that position.

Perhaps you could instead counter with an actual example and show how so-called appropriation, as widely recognized by "SJWs", is either a) totally not harmful/margianalizing/demeaning to the source cultures or b) how those negative effects, while real, are outweighed by other positive effects or c) cultural appropriation is bad and you feel that... dare I say historically privileged, populations (like whites in America or Australia) have been harmed by it as well and here’s some example.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 03 October 2018, 12:46 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
The same could be turned back on you. You are rejecting my thoughts out-of-hand and suggesting that your own ideas are the only ones to be used. That's exactly what you are accusing me of doing. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Why do you assume I was talking about you? And where did I say only my ideas should be "used"?
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 03 October 2018, 12:59 PM
Blatherskite's Avatar
Blatherskite Blatherskite is offline
 
Join Date: 06 February 2006
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
When did I suggest I believed whiners are from marginalised cultures? Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth?
You misinterpreted my post so let me rephrase it.

Most people who complain about cultural appropriation are from marginalised cultures. Since you believe complaints about cultural appropriation are just whining, I wonder what your explanation is for the fact that it's people from these marginalised cultures who are most likely to engage in what you call whining.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03 October 2018, 01:34 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Why do you assume I was talking about you? And where did I say only my ideas should be "used"?
Or, to quote you: Why must you put words in my mouth?
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03 October 2018, 01:45 PM
Jusenkyo no Pikachu Jusenkyo no Pikachu is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Note that damian's two assertions here which kicked off several pages of hijacked discussion actually have nothing at all to do with the question of whether the depiction of Williams was racist or not, they were just pure Whataboutery and are therefore attempting to muddy or distract from the actual discussion rather than contribute to it.



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
Oh crap. Now we’re going to have someone claim that Whataboutery was invented by the libtard SJW cucks to discredit Trump or something.

However, I am getting the impression that damian is trying his darnedest to ignore what racism looks like. Here are a few cartoons that may help:

All This And Rabbit Stew
Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs
Goldilocks and the Jivin’ Bears
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06 October 2018, 05:20 PM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
However, I am getting the impression that damian is trying his darnedest to ignore what racism looks like
Not at all. I have come to the conclusion that if you have decided it is racist, then nothing will change your mind. And I won't try any further. If you are offended, then be offended. That is your right. Your insistence that you are right is equal to my insistence that you are wrong. Let's just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 06 October 2018, 05:25 PM
damian's Avatar
damian damian is offline
 
Join Date: 14 April 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 6,504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
You misinterpreted my post so let me rephrase it.

Most people who complain about cultural appropriation are from marginalised cultures. Since you believe complaints about cultural appropriation are just whining, I wonder what your explanation is for the fact that it's people from these marginalised cultures who are most likely to engage in what you call whining.
In my experience, most of those complaining about cultural appropriation are from the Western Culture. Many, if not all, of the countries I have visited are happy to sell cultural trinkets and tat to the tourists. They are proud of their heritage and seem happy to want to share it with others.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 06 October 2018, 05:51 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,765
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
In my experience, most of those complaining about cultural appropriation are from the Western Culture. Many, if not all, of the countries I have visited are happy to sell cultural trinkets and tat to the tourists. They are proud of their heritage and seem happy to want to share it with others.
For a western example, there is a difference between me buying a model of Big Ben (whether at a trinket shop in London or at a local store in the US) vs. me deciding that the Victoria Cross sure looks nifty and deciding to strut around wearing a replica of one, posing for pictures and all. Call it cultural appropriation, call it just being a twit, there's a degree of cultural insensitivity to one that need not apply to the other. Can you see that distinction, at least?
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 06 October 2018, 06:28 PM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Not at all. I have come to the conclusion that if you have decided it is racist, then nothing will change your mind. And I won't try any further. If you are offended, then be offended. That is your right. Your insistence that you are right is equal to my insistence that you are wrong. Let's just agree to disagree.
I've asked you a direct question several times which you've ignored. If you don't even engage in discussion, to the point of answering simple questions, it is clear that you are not here for discussion but just to lob your opinion at people. I won't call you a troll because I think they really are your views, but I don't think you are contributing anything to the discussion with the way you're behaving.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Racist homework snopes Fauxtography 9 21 November 2014 10:21 PM
Even Typos Are A Little Bit Racist Esprise Me Soapbox Derby 0 18 April 2014 07:10 AM
Computers are Racist Jenn Fauxtography 4 13 August 2009 07:41 AM
8 Racist Words You Use Every Day Altered Statesman Language 43 25 January 2009 02:18 PM
Mr. Rogers, racist snopes Entertainment 21 31 October 2007 05:45 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.