snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 25 January 2014, 12:54 AM

Default Which Indestructible Metal is the Strongest?

Doing battle with a cosmic being? Need to protect yourself from giant spiders? Fighting against the forces of time itself? Make sure the indestructible metal you’re using to protect yourself can actually hold up against the threat.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/whi...-the-strongest
Old 29 January 2014, 03:07 AM

Icon402

I thought the strongest material was The Hulk's purple pants.
Old 29 January 2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
I thought the strongest material was The Hulk's purple pants.
They are strong, but they aren't made of metal...

Old 29 January 2014, 02:17 PM

Wait a minute. Scrith's "flaw" is that it cannot withstand an impact from a large asteroid? I'd like to see Admantium/Amazonium withstand an impact from a large asteroid!
Old 29 January 2014, 09:49 PM

Well, the difference is we know an asteroid can penetrate scrith - I don't think we have the data on Amazonium. (I now also have a vision of Captain America deflecting an asteroid away from earth with his shield...)

I also found it somewhat interesting that they included scrith, but didn't mention the General Products hull. (It may not technically be metal, though the material is referred to as "hullmetal" at least once.)
Old 29 January 2014, 09:55 PM

The problem with comparing all of these fictional metals is that their small quantities (except for maybe scrith) don't give us an idea of how they behave under their own weight. Even scrith may be too dense to use in an atmosphere - i.e. a spaceship made of it would collapse under its own weight. A bracelet made from Amazonium or a hammer head made from Uru - one can't tell how they scale up for something larger and heavier. At least human-sized constructs of Adamantium (or mithril) are feasible and practical.
Old 30 January 2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero_Mike View Post
The problem with comparing all of these fictional metals is that their small quantities (except for maybe scrith) don't give us an idea of how they behave under their own weight. Even scrith may be too dense to use in an atmosphere - i.e. a spaceship made of it would collapse under its own weight. A bracelet made from Amazonium or a hammer head made from Uru - one can't tell how they scale up for something larger and heavier. At least human-sized constructs of Adamantium (or mithril) are feasible and practical.
Tony Stark has an Iron man armour made of Uru. The Thorbuster armour.
Old 30 January 2014, 01:30 PM

I... ngh, book's at home and I'm at work... but I'm pretty sure "hullmetal" and "GP hull" are two different things. Not every Known Space spaceship uses GP hulls. And yes, GP hulls aren't metal, they're a nanobot-assumbled single molecule made incomprehensibly tough with an electric charge.
Old 31 January 2014, 03:15 AM

The only reference to "hullmetal" I personally remember is in Ringworld, when the explorers are on the Puppeteer homeworld being briefed about the subject. When told its mass, they think it sounds far too light, but the puppeteer briefing them says their intuition is wrong - "If it were made of hullmetal, it would be fifty feet thick," or something close to that. Since the only usage I recall was by a puppeteer and they're famous for the GP hull, I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption that the hull material is what he's talking about. That still doesn't mean it's necessarily "metal" in any technical sense, of course. It could just be a word they coined for want of a better term for the material. (In fact, I suspect Niven probably came up with the word for that same reason when he was writing the scene....)
Old 31 January 2014, 04:01 AM

This reference implies that hullmetal and GP hulls are different things.

GP hulls must also be stronger than scrith, since the Lying Bastard ran into some shadow square wire (which I think is scrith) in Ringworld without damaging the hull.

And BTW, why hasn't there been a Ringworld movie?

Nick
Old 31 January 2014, 05:32 AM

Alarm - was the whole of the Thorbuster armor made from Uru? I didn't think it was all made from Uru - didn't think that Stark could get his hands on enough of it. I remember the armor, but I forget the details - I will have to read that issue again.
Old 31 January 2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Alarm - was the whole of the Thorbuster armor made from Uru? I didn't think it was all made from Uru - didn't think that Stark could get his hands on enough of it. I remember the armor, but I forget the details - I will have to read that issue again.
What I've found about it is confusing since some places say it's made of Uru, others say it's "empowered by a crystal" and I'm not sure which one's a retcon or the canonicity of each version.

Eta: It seems the Uru armor and the Thorbuster armour may be two separate things...

http://avengersearthsmightiestheroes...wiki/Uru_Armor
Old 31 January 2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Rishathra. The MPAA is afraid of it.
Old 31 January 2014, 04:37 PM

Alarm - I never saw that Uru armor in your second link (from the Avengers wiki) - only the Thorbuster armor (which was, as I recall, powered by a crystal). That Uru armor isn't from a comic book - but an Avengers cartoon, right?
Old 31 January 2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Alarm - I never saw that Uru armor in your second link (from the Avengers wiki) - only the Thorbuster armor (which was, as I recall, powered by a crystal). That Uru armor isn't from a comic book - but an Avengers cartoon, right?
The wiki pages states it appeared in 'A Day Unlike Any Other'.

Quote:
A day Unlike Any Other is the twenty-sixth episode of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It is also the first season finale.
Old 01 February 2014, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Rishathra. The MPAA is afraid of it.
Rishathra only comes up in the sequel. (Well, as a concept - technically Louis Wu engages in it with Prill. But easy enough to write around and avoid being too explicit.)
Old 01 February 2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
Rishathra only comes up in the sequel. (Well, as a concept - technically Louis Wu engages in it with Prill. But easy enough to write around and avoid being too explicit.)
Captain Kirk got away with it -----
Old 01 February 2014, 08:43 AM

TV

Quote:
The SyFy Channel has announced adaptions of Ringworld and Childhood's End. However, I'll believe it when I see it since both books have been in development hell for decades.

Brian

Last edited by BrianB; 01 February 2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: I'll not I!
Old 03 February 2014, 12:58 PM

I think it's possible that the ship's emergency stasis field was part of the reason the GP hull survived impact with the shadowsquare wire, the lased solar flare, and impact with the Ringworld. At the very least, we know that the hull may survive encounters that the contents of the hull would not, particularly the organic contents....

The GP hull is known to be vulnerable to antimatter (see "Flatlander"). It's implied in "There Is A Tide" that a GP hull wouldn't remain intact upon contact with a sufficiently strong gravitational source (the neutronium ball in the story). It's possible that outrageously high energy sources - lased solar flares, near-c velocity impacts with planetary masses - and/or contact with unbreakable molecule-thin wire, could violate a GP hull. But that is speculation.

Which is one reason why spec-fic is so fun!

Quote:
This reference implies that hullmetal and GP hulls are different things.

GP hulls must also be stronger than scrith, since the Lying Bastard ran into some shadow square wire (which I think is scrith) in Ringworld without damaging the hull.

Nick
Old 03 February 2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
... At the very least, we know that the hull may survive encounters that the contents of the hull would not, particularly the organic contents....
I would have thought that was the primary reason for the stasis field on the Liar -- that it does no one any good if the hull survives and the occupants do not. It's been awhile since I (re)read it, but ISTM The sun-laser was dangerous because the hull was transparent. And the passengers were in danger of the collision with the shadow-square wire because of sudden deceleration.

As for the ship in Neutron Star, I recall that Beowulf was the second person to try the encounter with that ship, with the first one having died of spaghettification whereas the hull survived.

Nick