Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Medical

Old 10 October 2008, 07:46 AM

Icon86 Don't use hand dryers

Comment: i have been told that one should not use hand dryers in public
restrooms because they "suck up the germs from the floor area/toilet and
put them on your hands". Is this true at all? are we better off using
paper towels if both are available?
Old 10 October 2008, 08:52 AM

If they do, they roast them on the way through.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:13 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
If they do, they roast them on the way through.
Certainly with those Dyson Blade driers - you'd better believe your mitts only need to be in those things for 8 seconds
Old 10 October 2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
Certainly with those Dyson Blade driers - you'd better believe your mitts only need to be in those things for 8 seconds
I nearly lost a hand in one of those things at Gatwick Airport (hmm, may have been Heathrow). Well it felt like it, they're vicious.

As for the OP, every hand drier I have ever used blows hot air on your hands rather than sucking anything. Now even if we were to believe that the hot air, after leaving your hands, remains hot enough to rise and cause cold air to rush into its place, they're usually installed at least four feet up on the wall meaning it's very unlikely that floor germs are going to be in it's zone of influence.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:42 AM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post

As for the OP, every hand drier I have ever used blows hot air on your hands rather than sucking anything. Now even if we were to believe that the hot air, after leaving your hands, remains hot enough to rise and cause cold air to rush into its place, they're usually installed at least four feet up on the wall meaning it's very unlikely that floor germs are going to be in it's zone of influence.
Indeed. Far more likely a scenario is cheap, non anti-bacterial soap failing to properly clean the hands, then the warm air propogating the growth of coliforms et al on the hands, in essence making the process no more effective than a splash of cold water and a cursory wipe on your jeans
Old 10 October 2008, 09:49 AM

Ponder

Quote:
As for the OP, every hand drier I have ever used blows hot air on your hands rather than sucking anything.
If it's blowing air out it's got to be sucking it in somewhere as well, otherwise it would have nothing to blow.

EDIT: Looking at the handdryer in my work toilets (which looks pretty standard to me) it seems like the air intake is on the bottom of the unit.

Last edited by BlueStar; 10 October 2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStar View Post
If it's blowing air out it's got to be sucking it in somewhere as well, otherwise it would have nothing to blow.
Well obviously they all have an supply of purified compressed air inside them which is regularly replaced by the toilet cleaning staff. This is why they're sometimes out of order, they've run out of compressed purified air.

Well, that's how they all work down south where the road is paved with gold and air is free. It may be different oop norf.
Old 10 October 2008, 09:58 AM

These guys seem to be pushing their product based on the ideas in the OP of the hand dryer being a catch-all germ hoover.

http://www.eosdglobal.com/flexibility.htm

Last edited by BlueStar; 10 October 2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10 October 2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Well obviously they all have an supply of purified compressed air inside them which is regularly replaced by the toilet cleaning staff. This is why they're sometimes out of order, they've run out of compressed purified air.

Well, that's how they all work down south where the road is paved with gold and air is free. It may be different oop norf.
Oh. The local machine is always out of bacon, let alone air!
Old 10 October 2008, 12:14 PM

The only hand dryers that seem to be worth anything are the "XLerator" models, that, I think, have a jet engine inside. The vast majority of other dryers I've dealt with either have low air flow or blow cold air, and many of them have both. I guess that a well-maintained normal dryer might work well, but it seems like the prevailing attitude is "if any air comes out, it doesn't need to be touched."
Old 10 October 2008, 12:18 PM
FloridaGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
The only hand dryers that seem to be worth anything are the "XLerator" models, that, I think, have a jet engine inside. The vast majority of other dryers I've dealt with either have low air flow or blow cold air, and many of them have both. I guess that a well-maintained normal dryer might work well, but it seems like the prevailing attitude is "if any air comes out, it doesn't need to be touched."
I would have agreed with you until this summer. Then I used the before-mentioned Dyson blade dryer. We need those here. NOW.
Old 10 October 2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You obviously haven't tried the aforementioned Dyson Blade. They're so powerful I suspect they not only remove water but also skin.

The ones in my local give extremely hot but also slow air. To be honest, they're more like a grill/broiler than a hand drier.
Old 10 October 2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
You obviously haven't tried the aforementioned Dyson Blade. They're so powerful I suspect they not only remove water but also skin.
Those look like they'd be remarkably effective, so I don't expect to see one here anytime soon.
Old 10 October 2008, 02:42 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Those look like they'd be remarkably effective, so I don't expect to see one here anytime soon.

I've seen them in airports in the US...
Old 10 October 2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Tea View Post
I've seen them in airports in the US...
That could explain why I haven't seen one. The last time I was in an airport was when we went to London two years ago, and prior to that I hadn't set foot in one since 2003.
Old 10 October 2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
That could explain why I haven't seen one. The last time I was in an airport was when we went to London two years ago, and prior to that I hadn't set foot in one since 2003.
Our local upscale mall just installed them. I was a bit confuzzled by them for a moment ("insert hands"? WTF?), but they are really effective.
Old 10 October 2008, 07:49 PM

Ponder

Upon the London 'release' of the airblade the company hired some punks to disrupt the unveiling and start kicking the crap out of the machines before being 'hauled away' by security. Apparently they are rather vandal-proof and Dyson wanted to show this...
Old 10 October 2008, 07:57 PM

I've still not seen an airblade, although have found a rare few hand driers that actually work. That said, I'll usually favour a paper towel, or failing that, my jeans.
Old 10 October 2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Our local upscale mall just installed them. I was a bit confuzzled by them for a moment ("insert hands"? WTF?), but they are really effective.
You stick your hands inside them? What sort of Bene Gesserit witch designed those things?

Nick
Old 10 October 2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillas View Post
Hmm, I haven't been to either of ours recently. The one with the Saks seems to have a better handle on the bathrooms, so maybe they have plans.