snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 14 September 2018, 07:16 AM

Tantrum Little things that annoy you

The old thread got closed! I'm starting a new thread! I deliberately spelled the title wrong so it'll annoy us all every time we see it for the next year.

Update on my post from 1last Tuesday:
Quote:
I did a full day's work at the opp shop for Work For The Dole yesterday but apparently they forgot to report my attendance
10 days later and that problem is FINALLY fixed. My job network agency didn't actually tell me it was fixed, I had to ring in and ask them about it. But while I had them on the phone I got them to check the total number of hours they had recorded for my attendance and there's over 100 hours missing!!

Quick maths question: What is 24 x 7.5??
a) 77 hours
b) 180 hours
c) LOL I dunno, I'll ask some guys, maybe call back on Monday????

(Answer: apparently it's either A or C, but definitely not B.)
Old 14 September 2018, 07:18 AM

Ooh I accidentally put capital letters on each word in the title. That's also annoying but this time it was accidental
Old 14 September 2018, 08:28 AM

I linked to some websites selling Lederhosen over in the "Stupid questions" thread, and now Google ads is showing my Lederhosen ads on every page I visit.

Go away! I don't want to buy Lederhosen! I'm in Hamburg, not in Munich! Show me Buscherumps!

Last edited by Don Enrico; 14 September 2018 at 08:31 AM. Reason: To add another link. Maybe that will get noticed by google ads.
Old 14 September 2018, 01:42 PM

LTTAM?

People who misspell simple words in titles that will be up for a long time
Quote:
Little Things That Annoy Yuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Go away! I don't want to buy Lederhosen! I'm in Hamburg, not in Munich! Show me Buscherumps!
Bush rumps?

Wood butt?
Old 14 September 2018, 01:44 PM

Now I want a Fischerhemd.

But what are Buscherumps?
Old 14 September 2018, 02:07 PM

Buscherump is the name for a Fischerhemd in Hamburg Low German.
Old 14 September 2018, 02:27 PM

Germany

Quote:
I linked to some websites selling Lederhosen over in the "Stupid questions" thread, and now Google ads is showing my Lederhosen ads on every page I visit.

Well, at least they're not trying to sell Liederhosen, a common English speaker's mispronunciation. I'm not sure why I'd want songpants.

I have no great desire for Lederhosen either, but I'm really fascinated by those odd two-part socks people wear with them. What's up with that?
Old 14 September 2018, 03:36 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Those are very nice looking shirts. I'd also rather see ads for them than for Lederhosen.

Seaboe
Old 14 September 2018, 05:02 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Well, at least they're not trying to sell Liederhosen, a common English speaker's mispronunciation. I'm not sure why I'd want songpants...
Is that a mispronunciation or the difference between the English and German pronunciation?
Old 14 September 2018, 05:34 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Is that a mispronunciation or the difference between the English and German pronunciation?
A fair point. I guess it depends on how much weight you put on the argument that dictionaries should reflect proper usage rather than dictate it. I think most experts would agree at this point that Liederhosen is a mispronunciation/misspelling of the German word Lederhosen, and not proper English pronunciation/spelling of an appropriated word - there are enough English speakers who spell it right and at least approximate the German pronunciation. But at some point in the future the error may become standard.
Old 14 September 2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I deliberately spelled the title wrong so it'll annoy us all every time we see it for the next year.

I just came here to post that I was annoyed by the misspelling in the title. Now I see that it was intentional, so I shouldn't been annoyed by it. Now I'm annoyed that I can't post the thing I came here to post.
Old 14 September 2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I just came here to post that I was annoyed by the misspelling in the title.
I have no idea what you're talking about???
Old 14 September 2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
My "English pronunciation" is the same as the German pronunciation (or near enough, allowing for accents and so on).
Old 14 September 2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about???
Indeed, mysteriously the title is spelled completely correctly and with the usual case convention...
Old 14 September 2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Indeed, mysteriously the title is spelled completely correctly and with the usual case convention...
Indeed, now I want to know how the title got fixed. Surly it was well beyond the window in which GM could edit his post, and do we even have moderators anymore? Did GM become a moderator without us knowing? Did he hack the board?

LTTAM: My browser seems to be inserting extra line breaks in all of my posts. I'm pretty sure it's my browser, as I don't have the problem when I post from home where I use a different browser. It looks fine when I hit submit, but when it poss it ends up with a bunch of extra whitespace in it. So I keep having to go back and edit my posts to remove all the unnecessary line breaks.
Old 14 September 2018, 10:24 PM

-- the other thread got closed? this one got its title fixed? do we have active moderators again?

-- Hi moderators, if so! Glad to not-precisely-see you!
Old 15 September 2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Did GM become a moderator without us knowing?
HA HA HA oh you better hope not!!
Old 15 September 2018, 04:19 PM

I've got another jigsaw-puzzle related annoyance. I started doing the 2000-piece puzzle of Picasso's Guernica. It's a cheap puzzle that came in a bag rather than a box, so I got some plastic tubs and have been slowly sorting out the pieces according to my scheme.

The thing that annoys me is that a lot of the pieces are coated in a thin layer of unpleasant, reddish-brown powdery gunk. I think (or hope) that it's something to do with dried glue leaching out from between the picture and the backing board, or that spilled on it in the factory. But it's quite offputting, and it doesn't rub off. This is quite a difficult-looking puzzle, and it's not a cheery subject or pretty picture so this unidentified gunk isn't helping me to look forward to doing it!
Old 15 September 2018, 04:54 PM

Mister Ed

I’ve often felt the Guernica was one of the few acceptable applications of cubism. The style is grotesque, but, for once, so is the subject matter. Not that I know much about art beyond what I like vs. what I don’t like, but then who can really claim to know more than that? /philosophizing
Old 15 September 2018, 06:35 PM

I've been trying to quit Facebook, or at least cut back, for all the reasons. It's been hard because it keeps me in contact with so many people with whom I would otherwise lose touch, but lately a lot of those people have been less active there anyway. I decided to check it only one a week. FB immediately changed my email settings from "notify me only when someone writes on my wall, PMs me, or tags me in a post" to "notify me every time anyone on my friends list posts anything." It worked once or twice to get me to open the app when it wasn't my weekly check-in, but then I stopped falling for it.
Then I got logged out on my phone and decided to see how long I could go without signing back on at all. Now they're texting me these asinine updates multiple times per day, something I never gave permission for at all. Might be time to :gulp: delete my account entirely.