snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 11 October 2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Similarly, as broadcast transmitters have become far more energy efficient, some broadcasters which had been using waste heat from the transmitters to keep the rooms warm in winter are now finding they have to add auxiliary heat for creature comfort.

Likewise, cities that regularly get snow/ice discovered that they had to add heaters to defrost their traffic signals after switching to LEDs.
Old 12 October 2018, 12:51 AM

LTTAM: This article referrers to a Lockheed Constellation as a "jet". It is not. The Connie had piston engines and was designed before commercial jets were even a thing.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:02 AM

Maybe it was the heretofore unknown B model that was to use jet engines?

Or maybe "jet" is now a synonym for airliner?

I know where I'm putting my (hypothetical) money.
Old 12 October 2018, 01:29 AM

TWA called them Jetstreams and they flew in the Jet age. Its an easy mistake to make.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:11 AM

It's my understanding that traditional gasoline engines in cars also generate enough heat that it can be recycled into the passenger compartment in cold weather, but with hybrid and electric vehicles, they're had to add a heat source. I hate the burning dust smell that generates.
Old 12 October 2018, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I feel your pain, although mine was the starter, not the alternator. Thank goodness for AAA, so at least I didn't have to pay for the tow.

Seaboe
Yep, and the AAA-affiliated garage did great work and turned it around quickly. Still...
Old 12 October 2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
It's my understanding that traditional gasoline engines in cars also generate enough heat that it can be recycled into the passenger compartment in cold weather, but with hybrid and electric vehicles, they're had to add a heat source. I hate the burning dust smell that generates.
? why is that a problem on hybrids and not gasoline cars?
Old 12 October 2018, 09:33 PM

Because hybrids use a smaller gasoline engine, one that doesn't run continuously so it generates less heat.
Old 12 October 2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
? why is that a problem on hybrids and not gasoline cars?
I think it's because of the different ways the heaters work in the two types of cars. In a traditional car with an internal combustion engine, the heater works basically like a radiator, circulating hot coolant from the engine through the heater core under the dash to warm the interior of the car.* Since there's no liquid coolant in an electric car**, they use (I think) an electric heating element for the heater. I guess the electric heater gets hotter than the hot water/antifreeze in an gasoline powered car, so it creates the burning dust smell.

*Unless you've got something like an old air-cooled Volkswagen.

**Actually, don't Teslas have liquid-cooled batteries?

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Because hybrids use a smaller gasoline engine, one that doesn't run continuously so it generates less heat.
I interpreted Hans's question as "Why is the burning dust smell a problem in one but not there other?" rather than "Why do hybrids and electric cars need a different heat source?"
Old 12 October 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I interpreted Hans's question as "Why is the burning dust smell a problem in one but not there other?" rather than "Why do hybrids and electric cars need a different heat source?"
Correct, and the theory that the heat exchange in a hybrid is hot enough to burn the dust sounds plausable.*

I was wondering if the differential would be a claim that non gasoline cars are somehow dust free, not the case.

*I wonder if it is a known issue, and if so what the design approach to combat it is?
Old 12 October 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
*I wonder if it is a known issue, and if so what the design approach to combat it is?
I'm guessing it's not considered a big enough problem to be worth addressing. Household gas and electric forced air heating systems have had this same issue for as long as they've existed -- the first time you turn them on in the winter you get the smell of burning dust.
Old 13 October 2018, 01:54 AM

Ugh, tell me about it.
Old 13 October 2018, 02:43 AM

Also, some (most, all?) cars that use the coolant heater system have the hot coolant running through the heater core at all times. Doors block airflow through the core when heat is not selected. So the core has less exposure to dusty air. Also, the core gets hot every time the engine runs, so it could burn off a little dust every time.
Old 13 October 2018, 03:02 AM

LTTAM: A new form of spam, or at least one that I've just recently started noticing -- posting a picture of an attractive woman in a whole bunch of random Flickr groups, with a description that goes like "Hi, I sell such and such, check out my website." It's written in such a way to make it seem like the woman in the picture is the one running the website, but I'm sure they're just being posted by bots. The thing I don't understand is these pictures always have a couple of faves and comments about how sexy she is or whatever. I don't know if people are actually liking and commenting on these, oblivious to the fact that they're obvious spam, or if the spammers have bots doing that in an attempt to make them seem more legitimate.

The annoying thing, besides the fact that spam is always annoying, is that they're being added to Flickr groups for subjects where these pictures just obviously don't belong. So I'll be looking at a group for say, classic cars, and in the middle of it will be a picture of a woman with no car in it.
Old 13 October 2018, 03:30 AM

I don't use Flickr, but I've seen similar spam posted elsewhere and it was pretty obvious that the spammer were using bots to add likes and comments.
Old 13 October 2018, 03:55 AM

Hey guys! Just wanted to share with you all how I’ve managed to earn $40k in the last week, all from the privacy of my own home. Just click this link and you won’t believe how much YOU can make.

\/\/\/\/\/\/.zomg.cm
\/\—(“”)—/\/
Old 13 October 2018, 05:45 AM

This evening, it took about a half hour for me and my dad to catch our horses and put them back into the pasture, when they decided to run away from home.
Old 13 October 2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Sabre View Post
This evening, it took about a half hour for me and my dad to catch our horses and put them back into the pasture, when they decided to run away from home.
A friend of mine would kill to be able to get hers in within half an hour

Her two are utter NSFBSKs!
Old 13 October 2018, 04:09 PM

I think I've lost my glasses... The annoying thing is that I was out last night and decided to go for a walk in the woods on the way home, and was blundering about in the dark for a while, with my glasses in my shirt pocket. I'm sure I remembered to make sure they were still there, and that I still had them when I got home, but now they don't seem to be anywhere in my flat!
Old 13 October 2018, 05:44 PM

Glasses

LTTAM: My honorary niece SL, a wonderful woman who has given me help beyond measure in my current health problems, has an annoying habit. She will pick up my cup and drink from it and will pick up my fork and take a bite off my plate. I didn't really mind this when she was three, but at 36 it is a bit much. (She always has her own drink and food, btw.)

It is a little annoyance and I can manage.

Morning