snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 02 October 2018, 12:35 PM

The real problem I see with that is that if edibles are available, tourists will use those instead of smoking, which can cause problems with dosing.
Old 02 October 2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I remember hearing a story after Colorado legalized pot for all uses, they were anticipating a certain amount of cannabis tourism -- but it's actually quite problematic. You still can't smoke it in most public places; a lot of hotels and motels are non-smoking. For locals, most have to partake in their own homes, but if you're a tourist, not an option. I don't know if they've found ways to address it, or if there might leave it that way to deliberately discourage tourist use.
One idea I've heard is to have a place that's sort of the equivalent of a bar or coffee shop but for cannabis, a business where you can legally hang out and smoke. I'm not sure if that would conflict with California's ban on smoking in bars if someone were to open such a business here, but I'm guessing it would be allowed. If I remember correctly there's some sort of exemption for "cigar bars", so I could see lawmakers making a similar exemption for cannabis if there isn't one already.
Old 02 October 2018, 05:12 PM

A Lyft driver in Seattle told us about some guys that bought an old school bus, found a place to park it near some night spots, and let people come in it and smoke for half an hour for a fee.
Old 02 October 2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
One idea I've heard is to have a place that's sort of the equivalent of a bar or coffee shop but for cannabis, a business where you can legally hang out and smoke.
That's exactly what they used to do in Amsterdam, but they've tightened it up recently under general smoking crackdowns. (And also because there started to be a backlash against drug tourism - when Amsterdam first introduced its policies, I believe the assumption was that everybody else would see it was a good model, and follow suit. But in fact neighbouring countries mostly said "well, Amsterdam's done it so if you want to smoke you can go off there and we don't need to do any work"). I think that's still basically the model though.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
One idea I've heard is to have a place that's sort of the equivalent of a bar or coffee shop but for cannabis, a business where you can legally hang out and smoke.

That's exactly what they used to do in Amsterdam, but they've tightened it up recently under general smoking crackdowns. (And also because there started to be a backlash against drug tourism - when Amsterdam first introduced its policies, I believe the assumption was that everybody else would see it was a good model, and follow suit. But in fact neighbouring countries mostly said "well, Amsterdam's done it so if you want to smoke you can go off there and we don't need to do any work"). I think that's still basically the model though.
As detailed by noted social scientist Vincent Vega in his dialogue with senate prosecutor Jules Winnfield.
Old 02 October 2018, 07:04 PM

In my time away from snopes, I have become a cannabis professional and have attended quite a few event with on premises consumption. In California, dispensaries may have on premises consumption including smoking if the local municipality allows it. Also, private parties may have on premises consumption if they have a way to ensure that everyone is 21.

Maybe because I am in the industry, but I see a lot of people partaking of cannabis tourism in California without a lot of hassle.
Old 03 October 2018, 04:00 PM

Coming back to tobacco vaping:

FDA Seizes Documents From E-Cigarette Maker Amid Crackdown On Flavored Vapes

Quote:
The FDA seized more than 1,000 pages of documents during a "surprise inspection" at JUUL Labs, an electronic cigarette company based in San Francisco. The agency has been narrowing their focus on JUUL and what critics say are its "kid-friendly flavors" as youth vaping rates have increased.

In a statement to NPR, an agency spokesperson said Tuesday's surprise inspection was part of an effort to seek "further documentation related to JUUL's sales and marketing practices."