snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 18 January 2018, 03:54 AM

Baseball

1. Ah, one I know right off the bat. Stockholm Syndrome

2. I believe that would be Frasier. I'm starting out well this week.

3. And I'm done. I'm guessing Anna Freud because I have no clue.

4. Antwerp?

5. I believe that would be Guy Fawkes.

6. Have no clue. Burrito?

7. They flow on both ends of a lake, into and out of the lake.
Old 18 January 2018, 01:29 PM

If that is the answer to number 7, then we got there eventually! Teamwork!
Old 23 January 2018, 11:07 AM

Hello, all. Once again, it's time for Tuesday Trivia!

As per Ken Jennings' request, question 7 is delayed one week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What unusual psychological condition is named in honor of Janne Olsson's infamous Norrmalmstorg bank robbery of August 1973?
That infamous hostage crisis took place in Stockholm, Sweden and led to the term "Stockholm syndrome" for prisoners who beginning to sympathize with their captors.

2. The only dog ever to get his own Entertainment Weekly cover was Moose, better known for playing "Eddie" on what TV show?
Moose (1990-2006) was the Jack Russell terrier who played Eddie Crane on Frasier.

3. What Austrian pediatrician first outlined the difference between "high-functioning" and "low-functioning" autism?
Hans Asperger, namesake of the famous syndrome. Hmm, I didn't realize until right now that there were two "namesake syndrome" questions on last week's quiz. This must mean something.

4. The 1920 Olympics were awarded to what city, though some events were held in nearby Ostend and Amsterdam?
Ostend is the largest coastal city in Belgium, and the only Belgian Olympics ever were held in Antwerp.

5. Robert Catesby was the real ringleader of the 1605 crime now most closely associated with what man?
Today, Catesby's co-conspirator Guy Fawkes gets most of the press from the failed "Gunpowder Plot."

6. What variety of "shepherd-style" Mexican taco is actually a local adaptation of Lebanese shawarma?
Tacos "al pastor" are Mexico's nod to Middle Eastern fusion.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these rivers? Cooper, Detroit, Jordan, Niagara, Syr Darya, Ural, Volga.
Most rivers flow into the ocean, but these all empty into lakes instead.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. "Ghostface Chillah" is the official name of what mobile app's logo?

2. What lost household item is Jimmy Buffett "searching for" in Margaritaville?

3. What was the more familiar name for the "Act to Promote the Defense of the United States," which Congress passed in March 1941 to provide military aid to the Allies?

4. At room temperature, what property of water is 72.8 millinewtons per meter?

5. The brothers in David's famous painting Oath of the Horatii are swearing their oath on three of what object, which their father is holding aloft?

6. What famous American was born to the Knauss family in northern Yugoslavia in 1970?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Dances with Wolves, The Exorcist, The Fountainhead, The Godfather, Gone Girl, The Hunger Games, Lolita, The Princess Bride, Room, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory,

Enjoy.
Old 23 January 2018, 11:21 AM

1. "Ghostface Chillah" is the official name of what mobile app's logo? Shapchat? It's logo is a ghost.

2. What lost household item is Jimmy Buffett "searching for" in Margaritaville? Shaker of salt.

3. What was the more familiar name for the "Act to Promote the Defense of the United States," which Congress passed in March 1941 to provide military aid to the Allies? Aaaugh! I know this! I just can't bring the words to mind! Grr! I hate that!

4. At room temperature, what property of water is 72.8 millinewtons per meter? Surface tension?
Old 23 January 2018, 11:25 AM

Whalephant

#6 is Melania Trump.

#7 the author wrote the screenplay?