snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 24 January 2018, 11:38 PM

Icon05 A Dozen Camels Disqualified From Saudi Beauty Pageant Over Botox Injections

OK, when I saw that headline in a friend's Facebook post, I assumed it was a crude racist joke (which is not my friend's style at all)...but then I saw the source, so I have to assume camel beauty contests are an actual thing:

Quote:
Some pageant contestants hit a hump in the road this week. That is, a camel beauty contest in Saudi Arabia disqualified a dozen camels for receiving Botox injections to make them more attractive.

Saudi media reported that a veterinarian was caught performing plastic surgery on the camels a few days before the pageant, according to UAE's The National. In addition to the injections, the clinic was surgically reducing the size of the animals' ears to make them appear more delicate.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tox-injections
Old 25 January 2018, 06:43 PM

I don't really see this as being that different from horse, dog, cat, rabbit, etc, shows and people will go to lengths (some legal, some illegal, some benign, some cruel) to "improve" the appearance of those animals. As much as they're calling it a "beauty pageant" it sounds like any other livestock show.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:08 AM

I knew Joe Camel was juicing. I'm ashamed I didn't say anything at the time but he helped me out a lot when I was getting into this business so I just kind of looked the other way.