snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 05 April 2018, 08:41 PM

Two teeth that never came in when I was a kid are finally breaking through the gums. Unfortunately they're right between my front incisors and are pushing them aside. I cannot get in touch with the dentist as it's after hours, but I really want to set up an appointment to find out what to do about these bizarre heretofore dormant teeth, preferably well before the wedding.
Old 05 April 2018, 09:01 PM

There's a car rental company from which you can rent a mint condition car from the 1960s, 70s, or 80s. Not a "classic" car, per se, just a run of the mill car from that era so younger people can experience what cars from back then were like. I ended up renting an early 1970s Toyota Celica from them. Unfortunately, while attempting to test out the handling of the sporty Celica on a twisty mountain road like one might see in a car commercial I pushed beyond its limits and flipped it off the side of the mountain. It basically flew off the road like a Hot Wheels car going off a track, and in the dream I witnessed it from above, like, well, watching a Hot Wheels car on a track. I somehow was uninjured and the car was undamaged, and I was able to just pick it up and put it back on the road, like, well, a Hot Wheels car, get back in and continue driving.
Old 05 April 2018, 10:03 PM

Icon95

This is one from long ago; I reminisce on this my 60th birthday:

The house I grew up in has two front doors. Each opens into a completely separate place, but those two places coexist in the same space. I have a different family in the door on the left; not better, just different, but the variety is welcoming.

I believe many people have had similar revelations.
Old 06 April 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
This is one from long ago; I reminisce on this my 60th birthday:

The house I grew up in has two front doors. Each opens into a completely separate place, but those two places coexist in the same space. I have a different family in the door on the left; not better, just different, but the variety is welcoming.

I believe many people have had similar revelations.
I had a similar recurring dream-theme for a while when I was in my 20's. Not identical: there would be parts of the house that you could see, but not reach. For example, while on the stairs, you could see another set of stairs crossing adjacent (like crossing up and down escalators in a big building); the other set of stairs led to other parts of the house. You couldn't reach those stairs without climbing up on the hand rails and making a difficult jump. Or you could see another, otherwise unreachable, part of the basement through a set of built-in shelving. Or (expanding the theme away from houses) there is a roadway system that doesn't connect to the roads we travel, but you can see it sometimes from certain highways.

The main difference was that there were no people involved, just unreachable places.
Old 06 April 2018, 02:02 PM

Glasses

Apparently, I have a large stash of brown napkins invisibly mixed with my towels. I'll think I've picked up all the towels (I don't know why they're on the floor), only to find a scattering of napkins. It is impossible to pick up all the napkins.

Seaboe
Old 06 April 2018, 02:19 PM

I used to have dreams about houses I was familiar with, only in the dreams, the houses were much larger; there were whole sections I'd never noticed IRL.
Old 06 April 2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I had a similar recurring dream-theme for a while when I was in my 20's. Not identical: there would be parts of the house that you could see, but not reach. For example, while on the stairs, you could see another set of stairs crossing adjacent (like crossing up and down escalators in a big building); the other set of stairs led to other parts of the house. You couldn't reach those stairs without climbing up on the hand rails and making a difficult jump. Or you could see another, otherwise unreachable, part of the basement through a set of built-in shelving. Or (expanding the theme away from houses) there is a roadway system that doesn't connect to the roads we travel, but you can see it sometimes from certain highways.

The main difference was that there were no people involved, just unreachable places.
In later years I had many dreams similar to that, set in buildings much like abandoned shopping malls. (The setting was sometimes very much like a strip mall I went to a lot as a child.) I had always thought the unreachable places thing was inspired by my grade school. There were two main sets of stairs; the second grade classrooms were only accessible from one of them, and a storeroom (which had a piano in it for some reason) only accessible from the other.
Old 06 April 2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I used to have dreams about houses I was familiar with, only in the dreams, the houses were much larger; there were whole sections I'd never noticed IRL.
I wonder whether some version of this isn't common?

I've never had a dream about unreachable places in familiar houses; but I've had a number of dreams in which an entirely familiar place had either additional rooms within the house, or sometimes entire additional buildings, that in the dream had been there all along without my having realized it.

When I wake up these feel to me as if they're saying something about unused capabilities or unused resources in my actual life that I should pay attention to; but I can rarely figure out what in particular I should stop ignoring.

The dreams themselves are usually quite pleasant -- a general sense of hey, here's this great space I get to use after all! sometimes filled with all this neat stuff in it!
Old 06 April 2018, 04:32 PM

I usually found the dreams pleasant enough while they lasted, but sometimes I felt unsettled or anxious when I woke up, especially if they'd been happening a lot.
Old 07 April 2018, 01:43 PM

I'm living on campus at the institution where I got my master's degree. I still don't know my way around and don't know the names of the buildings.

I'm sharing an apartment with a married couple who are legally blind. It's Sunday morning and I was supposed to wait at the apartment for them to return so they'll be there for their appointment with the local Jehovah's Witnesses.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08 April 2018, 03:03 AM

Last night I dreamt that I was eating the red bean ice cream I got at the Asian market -- in bed. Except it wasn't just read bean, there was also vanilla, and something green. It was like Asian neapolitan ice cream.
Old 08 April 2018, 05:29 AM

Hello Kitty

This morning I dreamed I was reading a newspaper and it had a whole bunch of interesting articles about cryptids that I'd never heard of before but my cat woke me up before I had a chance to read any of them.
Old 08 April 2018, 03:00 PM

Don't get into a discussion with people who show up at your door with a truck full of mattresses to sell, even if the truck looks professional and you actually had told some of the neighbors you need to get a new mattress.

Although they will have a decent quality mattress with them after you reject the first one they pull out for you to look at because it's soft and lumpy, when you ask the price they'll refuse to tell it to you but they'll start insisting you've already agreed to buy the mattress and you're not allowed to back out of the deal now.
Old 11 April 2018, 01:06 PM

Again, a stranger in the house, although I think this person was legitimately allowed in, and is conversing with me.

There are two or three different fires in the house (controlled fires, like fireplace fires, not the type of fires that mean the house is on fire).

Meanwhile a couple in the neighborhood whom I've never met approached me outside, wanting something I had thrown in the trash. I didn't want to give it to them and didn't even want neighbors to think I ever owned it.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 11 April 2018, 02:23 PM

Blow Your Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post

You too huh? I remember being shocked (in the dream) that I'd been living in the same house for over two decades and never noticing whole rooms, storage areas etc.
Old 11 April 2018, 09:21 PM

Throughout my life I've had a recurring dream that the house/apartment/trailer I was living in was on fire. In the dream I'm not afraid of the flames, but the billowing smoke that's filling the room that I'm in. Whoever I was living with at the time (my mother when I was youngest, my roommates I was out on my own, whatever partner I was dating, etc) would be asleep, and I would desperately try to wake them as the smoke gets thicker and thicker. Right before I wake up (or so it feels) I realize that I'm going to have to either keep trying to wake the other person and almost certainly die from the smoke, or make a run for it while there was still time to breathe. In every dream I've turned and run, leaving the other person to their fiery, smoke-filled fate. I've been reassured by medical professionals that sometimes a dream is just about a more general issue, like anxiety or fear of something that's going on in my life at the time, and it doesn't directly reflect what we would do or think in waking. Doesn't change how unsettled and uncomfortable I feel upon waking, unfortunately.

What I find most interesting is that I can trace the origins of that dream (with a pretty high certainty) to the time the fire department visited my first or second grade classroom. We were taught the usual stuff, like stop-drop-roll, to only call 911 if it's a real emergency, etc. The thing that stuck with me, it seems, was the part where they told us to get low down on the ground and crawl if needed, because the smoke is just as dangerous as the flames. Almost everyone has a pretty basic fear of fire, but I was never terrified of smoke until after that presentation.
Old 12 April 2018, 01:04 PM

I'm running a business out of my garage selling candy apples.

And in six flavors, the usual plain sugar flavor, chocolate, chocolate fudge, and others.

Thanks.

Bil
Old 16 April 2018, 12:47 PM

Whalephant

There is a street in a leafy neighborhood in some unnamed town, but which I think might be Flagstaff named Bush in Dictionary. We're completely baffled by the name and, sadly, can't find anyone to ask.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:11 PM

I have had three dreams in the last week which, upon awakening, I KNEW had to go in this forum, in this thread; but by the time I had gotten to the point where I could get to my computer, they were completely forgotten, even after several attempts at remembering them for the occasion.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:27 PM

Glasses

You have to write it down when it's fresh, Crius. I've been known to wake up in the middle of the night and write whole paragraphs about the dream. I usually find I don't then need the notes to remember the dream, but if I hadn't written them, I would need them.

Seaboe
Closed Thread