snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 10 April 2018, 10:46 PM

When I was in school, a yearbook photographer told me to take off my glasses for the photo. I was young enough that I didn't question why he didn't tell me to just tilt my glasses down, or tilt my head. So in that yearbook photo I'm squinting because I need my glasses!

As an adult I've always gotten the non-glare, non-reflective coating on my lenses. It's expensive but it's worth it to me.
Old 11 April 2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
When I was in school, a yearbook photographer told me to take off my glasses for the photo. I was young enough that I didn't question why he didn't tell me to just tilt my glasses down, or tilt my head. So in that yearbook photo I'm squinting because I need my glasses!

As an adult I've always gotten the non-glare, non-reflective coating on my lenses. It's expensive but it's worth it to me.
It took me years to master the portrait art of focusing both eyes on the camera without glasses (I have moderate amblyopia in one eye). So all of my middle school portraits are either me with glasses that have a glare on them, or me without glasses and wall-eyed because I was trying so hard to find the camera by using my good eye. By high school I had figured it out, but that was after many years of feeling bad about myself.
Old 11 April 2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
I think the Florida written test minimum score is also 80, but an interesting observation from my youngest daughter is that when she took the written test earlier this year on a computerized system, once she got 40 of the 50 questions correct, thus an 80%, the system stopped. In other words, once you got the minimum score, no more need to continue.
That's how Ohio's worked when I took it eleven years ago.

(I guess it could have been difficult for someone with no familiarity with the entire concept of traffic laws, but as someone who grew up as a frequent passenger in cars, I felt like I was taking a literacy test more than anything else. It took me about five minutes, and it was mostly stuff like "what does a red octagon-shaped sign mean?")
Old 11 April 2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post
"what does a red octagon-shaped sign mean?")
Ok, don't leave us hanging like that. What does it mean in Ohio?

I took my driver's test in NH, and we had a written test and then had to drive around for a while. I took it during a blizzard, and at one point the tester said "I think we might be on the wrong side of the road..." since the road was across a wide field. It turns out we were on the wrong side of the road, but we couldn't tell until we passed a speed limit sign. The tester also told me not to bother parallel parking since there was so much snow by the curb, we would have a hard time getting into it.
I passed anyway.
Old 11 April 2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Ok, don't leave us hanging like that. What does [a red octagon-shaped sign] mean in Ohio?
Steel-cage deathmatch, brother!
Old 11 April 2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
Ok, don't leave us hanging like that. What does it mean in Ohio?

I took my driver's test in NH, and we had a written test and then had to drive around for a while. I took it during a blizzard, and at one point the tester said "I think we might be on the wrong side of the road..." since the road was across a wide field. It turns out we were on the wrong side of the road, but we couldn't tell until we passed a speed limit sign. The tester also told me not to bother parallel parking since there was so much snow by the curb, we would have a hard time getting into it.
I passed anyway.
The red octagon is where Ohio's military leaders plan and theorize their takeover of the world?
Old 11 April 2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_feldon View Post

(I guess it could have been difficult for someone with no familiarity with the entire concept of traffic laws, but as someone who grew up as a frequent passenger in cars, I felt like I was taking a literacy test more than anything else. It took me about five minutes, and it was mostly stuff like "what does a red octagon-shaped sign mean?")
Well, telling on youngest daughter, she had to take it twice, failing the first time. For a few bucks more, she can retake it (almost) immediately, pay the retest fee and go back to the testing area.

She told me later that a number of the questions on the first go-round had to do with trucks and while the information was governed in the handbook, she didn't bother to study too much on that. I gather that on the retest, she knew enough, both from studying and from having taken the test a few minutes earlier, enough questions duplicated, so she made the 40 mark.
Old 11 April 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
She told me later that a number of the questions on the first go-round had to do with trucks and while the information was governed in the handbook, she didn't bother to study too much on that.
I failed my learner's permit test the first time due to a similar issue. I got the version of the test with lots of questions like "If you are over 16 years old but under 18 years old, and are convicted of misdemeanor vandalism, for how long will your license be suspended?" I wasn't planning on committing any sort of vandalism, so hadn't paid attention to the penalties.
Old 11 April 2018, 11:06 PM

When I got my first drivers license in North Carolina, the driving portion consisted of driving a few blocks down a rather lightly trafficked street, making a left turn onto another small street, turning around, and driving back to the start. I don't remember the written test that well, but I remember it being trivially easy like what lord_feldon described.

When I moved to California and applied for a license here I only had to take the written test. That one also seemed pretty easy. The only question I got wrong was something about what you should when passing a light rail train that's stopped and unloading passengers or something like that. We didn't have light rail trains (what I think you'd call a tram in Europe) in North Carolina at the time so that was never something I needed to deal with before. Actually I don't really deal with it here either, because I hate driving downtown in cities, so when I want to go to downtown Sacramento I usually ride the light rail train rather than driving.
Old 12 April 2018, 05:43 AM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Actually I don't really deal with it here either, because I hate driving downtown in cities, so when I want to go to downtown Sacramento I usually ride the light rail train rather than driving.
But as a light rail passenger, without knowing the law, you're unable to shake an angry fist at the drivers stopping / not stopping when you get off the train!

Old 13 April 2018, 02:03 PM

Blow Your Top

I was on a tram going in to the city and a woman in her early 30s got on at one stop, walked about halfway down the aisle and then just stood there looking confused. Someone gave her a seat and she sat there for a bit and then said to the person next to her "Who am I? I don't know who I am. Do you know who I am?"
I wasn't sure if she was joking around or something but it soon became clear that she wasn't and she really had suddenly forgotten who she is, where she was and what she was supposed to be doing. She also couldn't move her hands and they were stuck in a strained position and she said she felt like she had a cold. She was naturally somewhat distraught but the person sitting with her managed to keep her calm. We got to the CBD a few stops later and I suggested that we get off and call an ambulance but one of the other passengers said that there was a medical clinic nearby and took her there.

That was pretty freaky to witness. That poor woman.
Old 13 April 2018, 07:02 PM

I wonder if she was having a stroke?
Old 13 April 2018, 07:22 PM

I was wondering that myself. A stroke or a seizure. I hope she's ok!
Old 14 April 2018, 09:35 AM

Yeah that was my assumption too, although I guess it might have also been a brain tumour.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:58 PM

Glasses

Brain tumors rarely cause complete and sudden memory loss while you're walking down the aisle to get off the tram. Strokes (especially TIAs) & seizures can both do that. Note IANAD.

The strange reasoning of insurance companies: My doctor has me on an odd dose of Simvastatin (however you spell that), so for the past year and a half, I've been getting 45 pills instead of 30 per month, and cutting one in half every other day. The insurance company decided that was too many pills to pay for. So what do they do? They make me get 30 pills of one strength and 30 pills of the second strength, and take two pills every day. Which means that instead of paying their share of $6 per month, they're paying $8 per month (they eliminated my co-pay, at least for the first 60 pills). How is that either efficient or money saving? But that's insurance companies for you.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 16 April 2018 at 02:04 PM.
Old 16 April 2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
We received some bad news about Cheeto; he has intestinal lymphoma. We plan to spend whatever time he has left spoiling him rotten and making sure he knows we love him.
Cheeto died early Friday morning. We knew the end was coming, and in fact had already scheduled in-home euthanasia for later that morning.

I miss him, but I'm doing okay. I'm glad it happened after my daughter moved back; she's been a big help and comfort.
Old 16 April 2018, 04:05 PM

Lainie, I'm very sorry for your loss.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:11 PM

So sorry for your loss, Lainie.
Old 16 April 2018, 06:38 PM

Glasses

So sorry, Lainie.

Seaboe
Old 16 April 2018, 07:10 PM

I'm so sorry, Lainie.
RIP Cheeto.