snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 09 November 2018, 01:51 AM

Default Bad Day

As I was leaving the post office today at noon, I saw the proverbial little old lady dashing out into the roadway. I realized that she was going after an animal that had been struck by a car. So I stopped to shield her with my car, not that an old Prius is that big of shield.

I jumped out thinking it was her pet that had been hit. It was a chihuahua that had been hit but it was not her dog. So I asked her if she would go with me to hold the dog as I drove to the nearest vet's office. She was in tears as she explained that she was waiting for the bus to go to the doctor. I promised to take her to the doctor after we had gone to the vet. I explained that I would pay for any treatment. She agreed to go with me as I knew I couldn't drive quickly and hold the poor dog. So off we went. I promise I did not exceed the speed limit by more than 20 MPH on the way. We got there and the vet's office took the dog in very quickly. Alas, the poor dog did not make it. And no, the vet did not charge us. At least the poor dog was in the arms of a very loving person at the end.
Old 09 November 2018, 02:45 AM

RichardM, that is very much too bad; but thank you for doing the very best you could, both by the dog and by the other human who was trying to help.

Do you know whether the vet. expected to be able to identify the dog's humans? if not, maybe you could put a few posters in the area, with a number to call for information? if there are people looking for the dog, it might be some comfort for them to know that you and the vet and the woman all tried to help it.
Old 09 November 2018, 01:41 PM

That was very nice of you both, Richard.
Old 09 November 2018, 01:59 PM

thorny locust, the vet's office has a form poster already for putting up and gave some to Jacky, the lady who picked up the dog. She will put them up in her neighborhood. The telephone number on the poster is for the vet's office.

The dog was not chipped and was in heat plus running loose which does not say much for her human.
Old 09 November 2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
thorny locust, the vet's office has a form poster already for putting up and gave some to Jacky, the lady who picked up the dog. She will put them up in her neighborhood. The telephone number on the poster is for the vet's office.
That's good -- and using the phone number of the vet's office is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The dog was not chipped and was in heat plus running loose which does not say much for her human.
That possibly indicates neglect; but it might also be a human just inexperienced, who overestimated the age at which the dog might first go into heat and underestimated how good they can be at getting loose when they are in heat.

And occasionally there are medical reasons not to spay, or to delay spaying.
Old 09 November 2018, 02:22 PM

Yes, I know I should be charitable but I'm not feeling that yet.
Old 09 November 2018, 03:08 PM

Glasses

You did a good thing, Richard. Two good things--taking the dog to the vet, and taking Jacky to her appointment.

My sister's dog, Tina, was a street dog who was pregnant when she was rescued*. We are all very happy she did not get hit by a car, or stomped on. Her only anxiety was about food, and that's improved tremendously since she's had regular access.

Seaboe

*my sister and her husband were not the rescuers; she was fostered by another family until the puppies were born and weaned.
Old 14 November 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
My sister's dog, Tina, was a street dog who was pregnant when she was rescued*. We are all very happy she did not get hit by a car, or stomped on.
Is this a thing that people often do to pregnant dogs/animals?
Old 15 November 2018, 02:54 PM

Glasses

They think she got pregnant while she was on the street. She probably started out as an abandoned puppy.

And IME, most animals are abandoned at the city/country border (this is how my BFF ended up with Way Too Many Cats (TM). I do not know where Tina was found.

Seaboe
Old 15 November 2018, 09:12 PM

Why are animals being abandoned at the city border?
Old 15 November 2018, 09:24 PM

I'm guessing the people who do that think that animals in the country can fend for themselves perfectly fine.
Old 15 November 2018, 11:33 PM

Glasses

I believe that's exactly their thinking, GenYus. My friend lives about 6 miles south of Spokane, WA, down a short gravel road. She used to see entire litters of kittens abandoned. People would pull off the highway at the crossroads and release the critters.

Seaboe
Old 16 November 2018, 01:58 AM

Bonsai Kitten

We live in a rural area off a main road, and have gained several kittens that way. To my wife's regret, they all got adopted.