snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 11 December 2017, 06:45 PM

Icon401

I saw Wonder with my girlfriend, who reckons it's the best film we've seen together so far.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:32 PM

I watched Tři oříšky pro Popelku (Three Nuts For Cinderella) again. I'm the only Aussie I know who watches that film every Christmas. It's kind of frustrating, given that I can't speak the language I prefer to watch it in (Czech, although German counts as an option), the subtitles I have are horrible and the file I use has three possible language selections, and doesn't tell me which one I should use. Other than that, the movie is good.

For those who don't know (which I presume is quite a few here), the story is a Czech take on Cinderella, where the fairy godmother/dead mother is instead an owl who enchants three hazelnuts. Cinderella in this one is a feisty little so-and-so who manages to enchant the prince (who is a bit of a dick) by throwing him off his hunting game. She uses the hazelnuts to dress up in hunters' garb, the ballgown (complete with a veil. Why do no other versions have the veil? The slipper is important, why not the face?) and her wedding dress.

I did once find a version with English narration. It basically sounded like a movie from Audible. Also, I found out tonight that the girl who played Cinderella, Libuše Šafránková, acted alongside her sister Miroslava in a Czech production of The Little Mermaid. Which I've found on YouTube
Old 12 December 2017, 02:08 PM

Glasses

I saw The Man Who Invented Christmas and sincerely recommend it for anyone who likes A Christmas Carol. Christopher Plummer was marvelous as Scrooge, and Jonathan Pryce played John Dickens (Charles' father).

Seaboe
Old 15 December 2017, 03:27 PM

The Last Jedi is probably my second favorite Star Wars movie, after Empire. There are enough flaws and WTF moments that it won't beat out Empire, but overall it was amazing.
Daisy Ridley was great again, I liked Adam Driver much more than in TFA, and the space battles were outstanding. I'm not going to spoil anything, so I'll leave it there.
And I love porgs.
Old 18 December 2017, 10:43 PM

Bang Head

The Star Wars franchise needs to get over its love affair with WWII-esque space combat. So many scenes just did not make sense, given their technology, to the point it was distracting.

But I would like a porg. And a mogwai. And, yes, even an ewok.
Old 18 December 2017, 10:45 PM

I doubt that it's going to go away any time soon: that's pretty much the standard for any one-man fighter craft combat. Shooting enemies from beyond visual sight with missiles or lasers makes for a boring movie.
Old 18 December 2017, 10:53 PM

I can't speak for ASL, but I think he was referring to the (spoiler->)the bomber run at the beginning which was pretty much treated just like a WWII B17 bomber run including the use of bombs in an environment where a gravity powered munition makes no sense.
Old 18 December 2017, 11:03 PM

Icon18

That and also the apparent inability to automate or use guided munitions in a universe with freaking robots. Practically sentient robots, even. See, in the duneverse they at least came up with a back story that allows them to hand-wave even twentieth century levels of automation, but Star Wars has given itself no such out. Quite the contrary: it has made AI integral to the story.

It's like the eagles in LotR: sometimes you need to be willing to sacrifice spectacle for the sake of a coherent story-line. Hat tip Chris Griffin in Family Guy.
Old 19 December 2017, 08:34 AM

Futuristic combat is rarely portrayed well. Star Trek is as guilty as Star Wars for it. In a universe where you have teleportation why would you use torpedoes? Why have they gotten hand guns that need to be pointed at an enemy when surely the tech to make mini-homing missiles exists?
Old 19 December 2017, 10:05 AM

Military

You're right. Both have gotten much worse. Neither was ever very good to begin with (yes, yes, I am aware of the TOS season 1 episode where they nerded out to tried to depict war in space like a slow-paced engagement between subs, but even that had some head scratchers). But both have gotten particularly sloppy with their new trilogies. They're really more fantasy than sci fi now.
Old 19 December 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
That and also the apparent inability to automate or use guided munitions in a universe with freaking robots. Practically sentient robots, even. See, in the duneverse they at least came up with a back story that allows them to hand-wave even twentieth century levels of automation, but Star Wars has given itself no such out. Quite the contrary: it has made AI integral to the story.
And somehow I'm reminded of Dark Star. Let's hope those AI-guided ordinances don't start quoting Genesis....
Old 19 December 2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Futuristic combat is rarely portrayed well.
The SyFy series 'The Expanse' had much better depictions of space battles. Acceleration/ hard maneuvers suck, you purge the air from the cabins before you start, if your ship gets hit then it gets holes right through it, the lack of gravity is a big problem if you need to get out of your chair for any reason ....

Old 19 December 2017, 01:53 PM

Glasses

I saw The Last Jedi, and didn't like it for reasons I won't explain until they're not spoilers. On the very plus side, I adored Laura Dern and her character.

I also saw Ferdinand (I kinda had to, having named my dog after the bull). It was cute. Payton Manning and David Tennant (sp?) provided two of the voices. Other than the supposed slaughterhouse full of things that go smash (rather than things that go cut), I liked it. They really padded the story, though.

Seaboe
Old 19 December 2017, 07:32 PM

Without spoiling, yeah, I wasn't that thrilled with The Last Jedi either. My brief summation on Facebook was "Ehh, I've seen worse."

I was thinking that part of the problem is that the new Star Wars movies seem to lack anything like a sense of humor. I mean, I wouldn't want the films to try to compete with Guardians of the Galaxy for comedy, but the original films certainly had a few laughs in between the serious moments. I think I've broadened that a bit, to that they're just not much fun. They have their moments, and I'm still curious to see how the story goes, but I'm not really having a "good time" when I'm watching them.

I know that's subjective and non-quantifiable, but that's the entertainment biz for you.
Old 20 December 2017, 04:22 AM

I posted a fairly long rant on Facebook on why the new Star Wars movie didn't land for me (mildly spoilery: most of the plot was completely pointless, the jokes didn't land, it tried hard to redo the old tropes but with a cynical twist, it dumped or ignored a lot of the stuff that was set up in The Force Awakens, etc) and the Red Letter Media guys just posted their youtube review and had all the same complaints that I did.
Old 20 December 2017, 05:23 AM

I didn't mind it that much aside from how stupid the space bombers were and how awful Leia's Forcing her way back the the ship looked.
Old 20 December 2017, 07:21 AM

I saw The Emoji Movie. I'm not sure I've ever seen a movie that blindly insulted its audience so badly.

Where Wreck-It Ralph had Ralph, who was shunned by people who didn't realise that he was an integral part of the game, The Emoji Movie has Gene, a guy who is shunned for not being able to do a negligible job with a thing I don't use. Ralph, for all his faults, is a cool character who learns from his mistakes. Gene…is kind of a dick.

Wreck-It Ralph also has Vanellope, an adorable tomboy who is shunned by her peers. Eventually, we learn that she is actually a princess, but she rejects the title. The Emoji Movie has Jailbreak, a hacker who actively rebelled against being a princess emoji. She is eventually forced to embrace her identity.

The comparisons don't stop there: Ralph has King Candy, who initially presents himself as someone who does whatever it takes to keep his game running. It's not until some time in that he's revealed as the true villain, having usurped the throne. This movie has Smiler, who is thinly-veiled in her villainy.

And finally, Ralph's world makes sense. It's an arcade. We have to suspend disbelief a little, but not so much that it comes off as idiotic. Here, however, the movie expects us to believe that there is a world behind a keyboard. Also, trolls are software, spam is also software and viruses behave like their biological counterparts.

In short: angel emoji poop emoji I hated this movie.
Old 20 December 2017, 01:54 PM

Glasses

I didn't think TLJ was a bad movie; I thought it was very good. Just not to my tastes.

Best review (and, IMO, most accurate) I've read so far. And hey, it's a review; if you don't want spoilers, don't read it.

Seaboe
Old 21 December 2017, 01:58 AM

Mouse

I like the review you linked to, Seaboe. The stuff in the article is why I’m crossing my fingers when it comes to Episode IX. Before anyone gets mad, there have already been articles mentioning this, that the people involved with IX have said that they will not CGI in Princess Leia. I think it’s a good idea, but whatever they come up with to write her out of the story, they’d better not have her die like a punk. Princess Leia is a great character; you don’t have her die like nameless cannon fodder.

Building on what was said in the article, Leia does not always get the credit she deserves. She may not be getting into many lightsaber duels, but she’s doing the behind the scenes planning and politics that, while not as flashy to watch, it is what gets stuff done and wins wars. You can only get so far by blowing up bases and ships.

Though really the whole thing with Ben is proof enough as to her strength. When Ben fell to the dark side, Han and Luke fell to pieces and both proceeded to GTFO. Leia, on the other hand, kept it together and got to work organizing the resistance.

Oh and Jusenkyo, while I am firmly in favor of and enjoy hating on The The Emoji Movie as much as the next person, you left out the awfulness of Jailbreak. I know I’m tooting my own horn and I shouldn’t do that, but good glob, is it satisfying to share a good Hate-On.
Old 21 December 2017, 02:31 AM

Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I think it’s a good idea, but whatever they come up with to write her out of the story, they’d better not have her die like a punk. Princess Leia is a great character; you don’t have her die like nameless cannon fodder.
Why not? A lot of good people, heroes even, have died like nameless cannon fodder in defense of freedom. To name a few: most of the X-wing fighters whose name didn't rhyme with Duke Pie-walker but fought a bloody war against the Empire before it was cool and didn't desert to live on an island when the going got tough; all those boffins (I'm not even sure on how to spell it, much less what their names are); and hundreds of thousands of American service members from Bunker Hill to the Chosin Reservoir and beyond.

Heck, even Admiral Akbar, a survivor of many traps, seems to have gotten little more than a nod.

And that's just off the top of my head.

ETA: But you know who really needs to die? Poe. I hate that guy. He was "meh" in TFA, but at least we got to think he was dead for most of it and he wasn't even that bad then, but he got way too much screen time (and seems to have gotten a lot dumber) in TLJ. Amiright?
Closed Thread