snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Closed Thread

Old 26 June 2017, 01:04 AM

Here's a question: if you're mad that your planet was destroyed, and you have a time machine, would it make more sense to A) travel into the past to destroy someone else's planet in a fit of rage or B) travel into the past and save your own goddam planet?
Old 26 June 2017, 01:19 AM

Ponder

Yeah, that was so stupid it must have slipped my mind. Some idiocy is so overwhelming the mind may block out the memories as a coping mechanism.
Old 26 June 2017, 01:34 AM

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with the family. I didn't think it was quite as good as the first one, but still pretty darn good. (I felt that the wackiness was a bit forced at times, particularly with Drax.) I must say that I really like what Gunn is doing with the comic book mythos - even though he's departing substantially from canon with regard to several characters, situations, etc., he does it in a way that works really well in-universe, and in a way that manages to acknowledge and respect the characters and storylines fans know.
Old 26 June 2017, 04:36 AM

Saw The Mummy on the weekend. Absolute rubbish.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 26 June 2017, 09:21 AM

Yeah, I desperately wish they would have just done a Star Trek reboot without involving time travel shenanigans.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:19 AM

I would honestly like to see Star Trek and Star Wars take a 10-year 100% hiatus - no new material in any form/media. Let it lie fallow. I love them both, but I am getting bored and disappointed in both, and I do not want that. Vanish them, then in a decade, bring 'em back with full fanfare.

Hopefully without lame writing.

ETA: Yes, I understand that it's completely against all marketing methodologies. I'm allowed to have my unrealistic fantasies!
Old 26 June 2017, 01:52 PM

Crius, it just isn't going to happen with Star Wars. It might happen with Star Trek, as it doesn't seem to be doing that well, but no way it happens for Star Wars.

Of course, you can make it happen for yourself by just ignoring them for the next ten years. Pretend they don't exist - there are plenty of people who do that anyway.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
ETA: Yes, I understand that it's completely against all marketing methodologies. I'm allowed to have my unrealistic fantasies!
Yet another direct-to-DVD Dragonheart prequel movie came out just the other week, the 4th film in the series. The screenwriter said in an interview that part of the reason they keep bringing out these cheap direct-to-DVD movies is to keep the franchise fresh in people's minds and hopefully convince producers to finance a big budget remake of the original.
Old 26 June 2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Here's a question: if you're mad that your planet was destroyed, and you have a time machine, would it make more sense to A) travel into the past to destroy someone else's planet in a fit of rage or B) travel into the past and save your own goddam planet?
Or C) have no control over it whatsoever? He went 100 years into the past, got taken out by a spaceship, managed to piss off at least two other major powers and according to deleted materials got sent to Rura Penthe. That, plus he had to wait years to get the necessary material anyway.

What's actually really stupid is that the nova should not have been unexpected (remember, we're talking about technology and science light years ahead of our own knowledge here). That's "Krypton's just making a shift in orbit" levels of ignorance there.
Old 26 June 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Or C) have no control over it whatsoever? He went 100 years into the past, got taken out by a spaceship, managed to piss off at least two other major powers and according to deleted materials got sent to Rura Penthe. That, plus he had to wait years to get the necessary material anyway.
But, he had what he needed to save his planet before blowing up Vulcan. He needed Spock's ship and the red matter, since that was what Spock was taking to save Romulus. He just needed to go and put Spock's plan in motion, and Romulus is saved. Instead, he rage killed Vulcan and ended up dying, which means that this time through he is responsible for the deaths of his family, since he could have saved them by just not going crazy.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:48 PM

To be fair, excessive and poorly-implemented time travel has been a problem for the Star Trek universe since long before the new movies.
Old 27 June 2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
But, he had what he needed to save his planet before blowing up Vulcan. He needed Spock's ship and the red matter, since that was what Spock was taking to save Romulus. He just needed to go and put Spock's plan in motion, and Romulus is saved. Instead, he rage killed Vulcan and ended up dying, which means that this time through he is responsible for the deaths of his family, since he could have saved them by just not going crazy.
How would he put Spock's plan in motion? We're not really told what it entails, but the red matter is unstable (and Spock implies a time element). Putting it in a planet's core was enough to create a black hole, so what would putting it near a sun do? And there's still a bunch of rogue elements that need to be factored in, such as general physics, Khan's existence and the fact that the major powers were not on friendly terms at the time. (Also, how do you expect him to explain his plan to the higher-ups? "We're going to use something that hasn't been discovered yet and is still untested to prevent something that's not going to happen for another sesquicentenary"?)
Old 27 June 2017, 11:04 AM

Saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night - apparently, my wife and kids wanted it so they bought the Blu-Ray.

I found it kind of dull, slow-moving, boring; I was yawning almost continually during the last half hour. The only surprise for me was when the suitcase-switch at the beginning actually happened; everything about the movie was well-telegraphed.

Now, obviously this is very much a YMMV situation; it made over $800 million, has a 73% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, was the first Potterverse movie to win an Academy Award, and is slated for several sequels, apparently, so again, what do I know? I will say there were a lot of little bits and aspects of the movie I did like, so it wasn't a complete wash for me, but I am glad I waited and didn't pay theater prices to see it.

Probably the best part for me was the preview bit about the upcoming 4K Ultra HD releases; my TV is 4K capable and seeing that some of my favorites like Pacific Rim and The Fifth Element 20th Anniversary Edition (!! 20 years !! holy crap!) are coming out or are already out in 4K is a bit exciting. Of course, now I need a disc player capable of 4K.
Old 27 June 2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Saw The Mummy on the weekend. Absolute rubbish.

That's all I have to say about that.
I was thinking about seeing that but had my suspicions. When the stars do too much publicity here in Australia it tends to me it is a bit of a dud. Unless it is an Australian made movie.
Old 27 June 2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
How would he put Spock's plan in motion? We're not really told what it entails, but the red matter is unstable (and Spock implies a time element). Putting it in a planet's core was enough to create a black hole, so what would putting it near a sun do? And there's still a bunch of rogue elements that need to be factored in, such as general physics, Khan's existence and the fact that the major powers were not on friendly terms at the time. (Also, how do you expect him to explain his plan to the higher-ups? "We're going to use something that hasn't been discovered yet and is still untested to prevent something that's not going to happen for another sesquicentenary"?)
He could have at least attempted to tell the Vulcans. He had old Spock, who could have backed up his story. Since old Spock was basically instantly accepted by the Vulcans and given a place of honor, they probably would have believed and done something to help. Instead he didn't even try, just decided to go on a revenge plot.

And the plan was to prevent the star from going supernova by collapsing it into a black hole. He could have done that at any time, with what he had. The only time constraint that existed was getting to the star before it blew up. The plan actually worked in a way, it stopped that star from doing a lot more damage, but it was too late for Romulus. It was not the star that Romulus orbited, but another star close by.
Old 27 June 2017, 04:41 PM

TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Yeah, I desperately wish they would have just done a Star Trek reboot without involving time travel shenanigans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
I would honestly like to see Star Trek and Star Wars take a 10-year 100% hiatus - no new material in any form/media.
Quote:
Crius, it just isn't going to happen with Star Wars. It might happen with Star Trek...
Nope, not with Star Trek either. The new series Star Trek: Discovery Will be available through CBS All Access beginning in September, with a premiere on CBS proper.

I also hoped the new Star Trek films would have simply ignored the past and started with a clean slate. The Trekverse has gotten seriously rancid with too much established backstory for everything. I think they feared if a restart was done most fans would look at it as something apart, rather than "real" Star Trek, but to me that's a poor excuse. (On the other hand, at least we got to see Leonard Nimoy do Spock a few more times.)

If one wanted to be picky, of course, it could be argued that they ARE a total reboot, but a reboot that begins with the premise that most of the events of previous Trekverse happened in this version as well. The evidence? The technology available even at Kirk's birth exceeds what we saw in the original series. (e.g. There was no ship-to-ship video during the first war with the Romulans.) The look of almost everything - including typical Romulans and Klingons - is significantly different.

What we're left with now is a horribly tangled time-travel-ravaged bastardization of the whole Trek experience.

And don't get me started on Star Wars.
Old 27 June 2017, 04:55 PM

I would say that it might happen with Star Trek because the newest movie made the least of the reboots (8th overall when adjusted for inflation, compared to the reboot at #1 adjusted), and it may or may not have turned a profit and the new TV series will be on a pay app that doesn't have a lot else to draw in sci-fi fans. If the TV series crashes and burns, and I'm betting it will, it may be enough to shut the whole thing down for a number of years. It's not like it hasn't happened before - there was a seven year gap between the previous movies and the reboots, and it has been 12 years without a TV series. There will likely still be books, comics, and games, but I would not bet much money on there being live action Star Trek ongoing over the next 10 years.

This is not to say that I want that to happen. I hope Discovery is awesome and goes for ten years, spawning its own set of movies.
Old 27 June 2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
And don't get me started on Star Wars.
What about Star Wars?

(I've never been good about following directions.)
Old 27 June 2017, 07:21 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Of course, you can make it happen for yourself by just ignoring them for the next ten years. Pretend they don't exist - there are plenty of people who do that anyway.
I tried that with The Simpsons (twice). Twenty years later and it still hasn't worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
To be fair, excessive and poorly-implemented time travel has been a problem for the Star Trek universe since long before the new movies.
OMG. I just realized something: the reboot re-extincted humpback whales! They unsaved the whales! And that planet killing whale-ship? It's STILL out there! Just like KHAAAAAAAAAN!
Old 27 June 2017, 08:50 PM

Yeah, but the whale song probe won't arrive for another 30 years or so, and we can do it all over again!
This is why old Spock should have been thoroughly debriefed on everything he knew, and the important stuff taken care of.
Closed Thread