snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 07 September 2014, 04:26 AM

Default Crazy things you have learned recently

Okay, I have started a thread on the crazy, insane things that you have learnt recently. They can be crazy but, true. Or totally insane, conspiracy stuff, plain old stuff and nonsense.

Here goes.

The United Nations Security Council and all of the higher ups in the UN are all devil worshippers. Apparently, they have a hidden altar that they worship before in secret. Source Totalaria by Ian Wishart.

Pope Francis is "The Beast" according to the Christian TV station First Light. I assume they mean that he is the anti-Christ.

Some species of crocodiles can climb trees. So, if you're running from a hungry croc, climbing a tree won't save you. I presume that means only young or smaller crocs. I can't see a 20 foot long croc making it up a tree.
Old 07 September 2014, 06:46 PM

Climbing behaviour in extant crocodilians from Herpetology Notes.

Probably don't climb very fast, though.
Old 07 September 2014, 08:16 PM

At least one species of fish can also climb trees so that apocryphal quote which is usually attributed to Albert Einstein is fairly moot.
Old 07 September 2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
At least one species of fish can also climb trees so that apocryphal quote which is usually attributed to Albert Einstein is fairly moot.
Not really. The fact that a tiny fraction of all fish species can climb certain kinds of trees (or a tiny fraction of alligators can climb certain kinds of trees) really doesn't change the truthfulness of the statement. Primate are much better climbers than are fish or alligators. Alligators and fish are much better swimmers than primates. It makes little sense to judge a primate based on its swimming ability just as it makes little sense to judge a fish or 'gator on its climbing ability.
Old 08 September 2014, 12:20 AM

Obama is funding ISIS!
Old 08 September 2014, 12:38 AM

Mouse

Judging by the comments on this cesspool of an article, advocating forcible conversion of Muslims, or forcibly sterilizing or deporting Muslims, or killing Muslims is not advocating genocide.
Old 08 September 2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
A fish climbing a tree isn't so surprising. Some of species of fish have legs and/or can travel over land, so a tree should be doable. A crocodile? Not something you would expect to find up a tree. Neither is a fish, I guess.

When it comes to Obama nothing surprises me. Has there ever been an American president who has been the subject of so many conspiracy theories? Kennedy or Nixon maybe.
Old 08 September 2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Pope Francis is "The Beast" according to the Christian TV station First Light. I assume they mean that he is the anti-Christ.
Oh, that's clearly incorrect, as my mother recently informed me that the Anti-Christ is actually Barack Obama.
Old 08 September 2014, 06:57 PM

I've been hearing it's Obama for years, including from a co-workere's sister, who after having insisted it was true throughout the 2008 election season went ahead and voted for Obama anyway.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:22 PM

I guess if it's Armageddon, you might as well get it over with.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:35 PM

That, or she REALLY hated McCain/Palin.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I've been hearing it's Obama for years, including from a co-workere's sister, who after having insisted it was true throughout the 2008 election season went ahead and voted for Obama anyway.
Maybe she's a fan of the Left Behind series, where the "heroes" stand up to the Anti-Christ by... getting jobs from him, including being the publisher of his propaganda. Well, the men do. The ladies stay home and be good little homemakers, because duh.
Old 08 September 2014, 07:41 PM

She was apparently embarrassed, either about voting for the antichrist or about changing her mind re: who he was, because she asked her sister not to tell anyone who she voted for (a request her sister obviously ignored).
Old 08 September 2014, 08:00 PM

Well sure the POTUS is the ANTUS, look at his name. Barack (6 letters) Husein (6 letters) Obamma (6 letters). Can it be any clearer?
Old 09 September 2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Well sure the POTUS is the ANTUS, look at his name. Barack (6 letters) Husein (6 letters) Obamma (6 letters). Can it be any clearer?
And "typoes" has six letters too! It's a siggnn!
Old 09 September 2014, 11:02 AM

Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
The United Nations Security Council and all of the higher ups in the UN are all devil worshippers. Apparently, they have a hidden altar that they worship before in secret. Source Totalaria by Ian Wishart.
I work for the UN. When people asked what I do there, I used to say that I help keep the secret government in power.
Too many people seemed to believe me.
I don't say it much anymore.
Old 10 September 2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMcD View Post
I work for the UN. When people asked what I do there, I used to say that I help keep the secret government in power.
Too many people seemed to believe me.
I don't say it much anymore.
Not surprised. The UN is another institution that attracts more than its fair share of conspiracy theories and ULs. I have heard all sorts of strange stories over the years, including that UNICEF is actually a front for child trafficking.
Old 13 September 2014, 04:26 AM

The cold war was fake. Remember that space ship that crashed in Roswell? It was a scouting party for some aliens who eventually took over the world. They agreed to rule the Earth secretly while Truman and Stalin agreed to distract the rest of the human race from discovering this by pretending to be mortal enemies.The aliens prevented the enmity from getting so bad that we blew each other up.

When the Cold War ended our presidents began to fund Al Qaeda and ISIS so we could have a new enemy.
Old 15 September 2014, 02:25 PM

Okay, I didn't learn this recently, but I did see recent confirmation.

People will believe anything if it supports their belief.

IE: A coworker beleives Rice was justified in punching his now-wife, because "She slapped him first. She started it"

Hmmm... NO!
Bad behaviour does not excuse bad behaviour. She slapped him, she can be charged with assault. He punched her, knocked her out, dragged her out of the elevator like a caveman with a meal. He DESERVED to be charged with assault.

One does not excuse the other.

Old 16 September 2014, 06:43 AM

King Richard III of England had scoliosis. Bad scoliosis. I guess everyone who has been following the finding of Richard's remains knows that by now. But his scoliosis was so bad, that scientists were wondering how Richard could have worn armour, ridden a horse, and led men into battle.
Well, among the people following the finding of Richard III was a young man with an identical case of scoliosis to that of Richard. He contacted the people working the find of Richard to say "Hey, I have the same thing." To his surprise they asked him if he was up for a rather unusual challenge.
They wanted him to learn to ride a horse, exercise a lot, and wear a suit of armour. They wanted to see if someone with scoliosis as bad as Richard's could wear armour, ride and fight.
Well, it took some doing. But after several months or riding lessons, exercise and getting used to wearing a suit of armour, this young man proved that it was indeed possible for someone with severe scoliosis to ride and fight and wear armour at the same time.