snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 21 July 2017, 01:44 AM

Default Bright (Will Smith urban fantasy cop movie on Netflix)

Quote:
Humans, Orcs, Elves... everybody is just trying to get along. Get ready for the world of Bright, a new Netflix Original Film, starring Will Smith and Joel Edgerton. Coming to Netflix December 22th.

https://youtu.be/6EZCBSsBxko
Old 21 July 2017, 01:56 AM

I love urban fantasy so this should totally be my jam but that trailer didn't do much for me.

Aw no, I wanted to like this film.
Old 21 July 2017, 04:44 AM

If it were anyone but Will Smith.
Old 21 July 2017, 06:42 AM

Looks like Zooptopia for the over 15 crowd.
Old 22 July 2017, 05:14 PM

So someone has decided to cross Alien Nation with Shadowrun...
Old 22 July 2017, 06:09 PM

No, if it was Shadowrun it'd have a more awesome president.
Old 26 December 2017, 12:06 PM

Ok, so I watched this yesterday.

... and I really don't get the hate it's receiving. Sure, it's cheesy and corny, but I was expecting that. The "worst movie of 2017"? Not by a lot. It was a fun watch. About what I was expecting from the premise.
Old 26 December 2017, 02:17 PM

I also watched it last night, and I'm not going to lie, I loved it. I'm ready for a sequel. It is very cheesy, but its hard to work with the premise and not be a bit cheesy.
Old 26 December 2017, 02:25 PM

Glasses

I'd like to see some more of the fantasy races and how that world differs from ours despite the similarities. We saw some centaurs and dwarves were mentioned, but only humans, orcs, and elves were in the spotlight. What else is there? I know there was a street sign with a lizard-like creature on it, and a woman in the disco had reptilian eyelids when she blinked. Do fantasy species from other cultures exist as well? How is world history different?

My tabletop RPG nerd brain is in overtime wanting to fill in the details of the setting.
Old 26 December 2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
So someone has decided to cross Alien Nation with Shadowrun...
I.watched the last 15 minutes or so and was thinking they're trying some twist on Men in Black.
Old 26 December 2017, 04:33 PM

Watched it too. Personally I think it would have been a lot better if Jakoby had been the main character instead of Ward. As it was it was too much of a straight up buddy cop movie about the racist-but-mostly-fair white cop (ironically played by Will Smith) learning to appreciate his minority partner. "Congratulations, Jakoby, you have been prophecised to be the sidekick of the guy who will save us."
Old 26 December 2017, 05:34 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
...My tabletop RPG nerd brain is in overtime wanting to fill in the details of the setting.
Agreed! They also showed fairies, btw. There was a mention of an Army of Nine Races which does not include the Orcs.

I found this tweet which has details that just make me want more:

Population Breakdown
Old 27 December 2017, 12:01 AM

Saw this the other day. It was fairly amusing.

It definitely felt more like the beginning of a mini-series rather than a movie to me.

Tikka reminded me of Leeloo from the 5th Element. I would have liked to see her do more.
Old 29 December 2017, 07:30 PM

It certainly wasn't a classic, but I enjoyed most of it. I thought perhaps they were trying to jam too much into one film.

One thing that prompted me to watch it was a review from a friend of mine who is a retired cop. He was very impressed with the authenticity of a lot of it: he said the street scenes filmed in East LA and so forth were so authentic "you could use them in training films," and particularly singled out Will Smith's portrayal of a veteran cop as dead-on. (He is often critical of cop shows and films in this regard.)

I admit I liked the first half, with more of the focus on the cop stuff, better than the more magic-heavy second half, but none of it was particularly terrible.

I read that Netflix had greenlit a sequel even before the film was released -- I suppose it depends on viewership, of course. I think it certainly has some potential. Maybe I'm too easy.

ETA: they're saying it's had 11 million views in the first three days; if all 11 million had seen it in theaters, that would be equivalent to a $98 million opening weekend. So, not too shabby.
Old 29 December 2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
My tabletop RPG nerd brain is in overtime wanting to fill in the details of the setting.
The missed opportunities for world building are definitely more interesting than the dimly lit and sloppy cop action movie they put on screen. It's not as singularly horrible as the critics say, but it's not good.

The coded racial identity of elves and orcs was already somewhat baked into Tolkien's original work, and then carried through countless other fantasy settings since. It's easy enough to overlook when reading it as text and in a fantasy world, but bringing it into a modern real world setting makes the racism uncomfortable. And they did not really have any worthwhile commentary to justify it. Despite having one orc who was "one of the good ones", they mostly had fantasy minorities conforming to stereotypes.

The Discworld series is far more insightful and entertaining when it comes to deconstructing fantasy cliches. The Sky One TV adaptations of some of them were a valiant effort at translating them to the screen, but I think the material works best in books. It's difficult and expensive to translate over the top fantasy to live action, so it all ends up very reduced in scope.
Old 30 December 2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I'd like to see some more of the fantasy races and how that world differs from ours despite the similarities. We saw some centaurs and dwarves were mentioned, but only humans, orcs, and elves were in the spotlight. What else is there? I know there was a street sign with a lizard-like creature on it, and a woman in the disco had reptilian eyelids when she blinked. Do fantasy species from other cultures exist as well? How is world history different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Agreed! They also showed fairies, btw. There was a mention of an Army of Nine Races which does not include the Orcs.

I found this tweet which has details that just make me want more:

Population Breakdown
Brezzik are lizardmen according to this infographic that Landis posted to his Twitter back in '16: https://i.imgur.com/XgIW8IT.jpg

The other population graphics I've seen:
https://i.imgur.com/uPRVI7q.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/WJ7RFaa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/swqmJs5.jpg
I don't know what Panahu are.

There's a few earlier versions of the script floating around and they featured dwarves, lizardpeople and a giant.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 30 December 2017 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:10 PM

Default 'Bright' Sequel Officially a Go at Netflix

Netflix has taken a shine to Bright, the streamer's fantasy cop drama that debuted this December.

The streaming giant has greenlighted a sequel that is expected to reunite stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton, along with director David Ayer.

One key player who will not be returning for round two is writer Max Landis, who was paid a reported $3 million to $4 million for his screenplay in 2016 when the project ignited a bidding war before ultimately selling to Netflix.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1071188
Old 03 January 2018, 07:16 PM

By the way, here's a VERY capsule history of magic in the 'Bright' timeline.

Old 04 January 2018, 02:09 AM

And here's a very important PSA about wands...

Old 06 January 2018, 12:33 AM

I saw it! I quite liked it! As a fantasy fan dying of thirst in the desert of decent fantasy TV, I should have lapped this up but a few things prevented me from adopting my usual 'it's fantasy, take what you're given' mantra.

The Good:
It looked great. The designs for the fantasy races were original and worked well with the modern setting. The action scenes were slick and well-choreographed: it was fast-paced without being motion sickly. It hinted at a very compelling backstory and 'lore', paving the way for future instalments and making me intrigued about the whole setting. The banter was pretty good and I loved the buddy cop aspect of the film.

The Less Good:
Will Smith's moustache: it distracted me. The main elf character was basically just a gibbering lump throughout most of the film, making her ascent into awesome seem to swoop in like a big Plot Eagle destined only to deliver the real heroes to greatness. The fantasy aspects were often cliched, despite the setting, and the intended racial implications of the film were at best a bit heavy-handed and at worst came across as dismissive of real world politics. The dialogue. Oh, god, the dialogue. I don't have a single NBSKing problem with bad language, but it has to be realistic bad language. I don't know what the magic element is that causes one film to swear like a navvy in a natural way and makes another sound like a teenager who just discovered a new uncensored world, but this was the latter and it sounded forced and awkward. In fact, 'awkward' is a good way to describe Bright. The good aspects were very good, but they fitted awkwardly alongside the bad. Even the funny banter could sometimes go on just a tad too long and waded into awkward territory.

I focused a bit more on the bad than the good there, but I did enjoy it. I enjoyed it as a cheesy fantasy-meets buddy cop comedy. I enjoyed it as a romp with some funny and likeable characters. I did not enjoy it as a high concept treatise on modern day racial politics. Perhaps it was never intended to be the latter, but in some slightly cringey moments it seemed like it wanted to be. Those moments landed with a dull splat amidst all the cliches and the dodgy dialogue. Plus, there was that moustache the whole time. Damn near ruined the whole thing!