snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 13 December 2017, 12:55 AM

My son recently bought a new car and it came with the "free winter tires" deal. They also put them on for him as part of the deal, the tires that got taken off were put in the car for him to take home. I would be VERY surprised if any dealer offered a free winter tire deal and didn't include the regular tires!
Old 13 December 2017, 01:42 AM

Saw an ad on late nightTV about a week ago for a "Trumpy Bear." At first, I honestly thought it was some sort of satire.

To my utter horror, I learned it's real.
Old 13 December 2017, 02:33 AM

He's also got a Chia Pet.
Old 13 December 2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queen of the caramels View Post
I've only bought cars during the summer so I have had either all-season(when you could use them all year round) or summer tyres.
I think you're right and they offer it this time of year to clear out inventory - otherwise wouldn't they offer this year round, if winter specific tires were such a necessity? (FWIW, most "normal" cars around here are sold with all season tires as standard, you'd only get summer-rated only if it was some kind of performance tire. you don't often find them on basic sedans or SUVs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
My son recently bought a new car and it came with the "free winter tires" deal. They also put them on for him as part of the deal, the tires that got taken off were put in the car for him to take home. I would be VERY surprised if any dealer offered a free winter tire deal and didn't include the regular tires!
Thanks. I would assume that they'd include the standard tires, but like I said that kind of offer is unheard of around here - I don't think I can even get them through the dealer I take my car to. Since they don't offer this in the warmer months I wondered how it worked.
Old 13 December 2017, 07:16 AM

I don't know about everywhere, but I know that in Oregon it's illegal to keep winter tires on your car after IIRC March. So there wouldn't be much point in a car dealership giving away a free set of winter tires in June, even in the parts of the state that have harsher winter weather.
Old 18 December 2017, 09:52 PM

Two words:

Chia. Trump.

Although I will concede that it has better hair than the original model.
Old 18 December 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Two words:

Chia. Trump.

So many novelty Trump items have been around longer than his foray into politics, I wonder how the owners feel about them, surely some turned out to support him anyway but I wonder how many wound up discretely getting rid of them in a yard sale or somesuch...

One of my exes had a talking Apprentice Trump doll that would say some of his catchphrases. He turned out to be a supporter years later, I actually saw him in a crowd on a televised rally.
Old 19 December 2017, 12:40 PM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
Two words:

Chia. Trump.

Before Trump was elected, I also recall seeing a Chia Hillary and a Chia Bernie.
I could not agree with you more: Chia Trump has better looking hair.
Old 19 December 2017, 02:09 PM

Tantrum

There s a radio ad for St. Hubert BBQ restaurants running here and it annoys me to no end.

The announcer keeps getting interrupted by a "sweet old grandma" chiming in after each description of their "holiday feast"

Quote:
Announcer:" You'll even get a slice of sugar pie"
SOG: "I have nine kids and none of them know the secret to MY sugar pie"
Lady, if you were a real "sweet old grandma", people would be begging for your recipe and you would share it out like candy!

That's what MY grandma did. She took pride in how many people HAD her recipe but only she could make it the perfect way...
Old 19 December 2017, 02:54 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
That's what MY grandma did. She took pride in how many people HAD her recipe but only she could make it the perfect way...
My mother gave her recipes to anyone who asked, and received plenty in turn. She once asked someone for a recipe and the person got insulted and told my mother that she never gave out her recipes. My mother's reaction in telling the story was a mixture of and jeeze, you'd thought I was asking for the nuclear codes!
Old 19 December 2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
My mother gave her recipes to anyone who asked, and received plenty in turn. She once asked someone for a recipe and the person got insulted and told my mother that she never gave out her recipes. My mother's reaction in telling the story was a mixture of and jeeze, you'd thought I was asking for the nuclear codes!
I know right?

My ideal of a sweet old grandma is someone who shares her recipes, loves to cook and bake for everyone... not someone who thinks that her "prize" recipe should go with her to the grave...
Old 22 December 2017, 08:39 PM

It's time for M&Ms to come up with a new Christmas commercial. They've been running the same "Santa does exist!" commercial so long I don't even remember when they introduced it: I think it was the 90s. Sorry, but the charm has long since worn out.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:08 PM

They've recently started replaying the swiffer commercial where the little boy is about to cut his sister's hair. I'm usually too busy sneering at the idea that any parent would let a child cut another child's hair because, hey they've got a swiffer to clean up the mess. But this time I noticed that Mom is swiffering around the house in tight capris and high heels. Yes, as one does, of course.
Old 27 December 2017, 11:13 PM

Crash

The "Armless Bowling" ad by GoDaddy. I have a hard time watching it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWRKcnmm7xo

Old 16 January 2018, 03:44 PM

Those WTF Volvo commercials with the astronaut and her husband (?) who's always driving the damn Volvo. I'm just not feeling the emotional bond between them. It's more like he loves the futuristic car he drives much more than his wife with the futuristic job. I do kind of like the "Harlem River" song, but what I hear of it in these spots seems unrelated to the rest of what's going on.
Old 16 January 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
The "Armless Bowling" ad by GoDaddy. I have a hard time watching it...
Just click the little arrowhead in the lower left corner and keep looking at the screen.
Old 16 January 2018, 04:35 PM

Yow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Saw an ad on late nightTV about a week ago for a "Trumpy Bear." At first, I honestly thought it was some sort of satire.

To my utter horror, I learned it's real.
So did I when DH called my attention to it. Holy crap it is real!
Even more disturbing are the (presumably) functioning adults that take it with them on motorcycle rides, to golf games, etc.