snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 11 January 2018, 03:17 AM

TV

Watched the first episode of American Gods on Starz (got the free trial preview via Amazon). Although I enjoyed some elements (Ian McShane makes a terrific Wednesday, and they managed to pull off THAT SCENE with Bilquis in a way that worked - yikes), I didn't like the overall tone. The (apparently intentionally) absurdly cartoonish levels of violence and the added early distastefulness of Audrey's character (incorporating details not in the book, but apparently lifted wholesale from The World According to Garp) both rubbed me the wrong way. Critical response to the series has been quite positive, and from what I've read on TV Tropes and elsewhere, the series develops some characters and plot elements beyond what was in the book in interesting ways, but it just didn't grab me. (Instead, I was inspired to re-read the novel, which I found I still loved, and I'm now on to re-reading Anansi Boys).

I had been eagerly awaiting this series and had considered subscribing to Starz just to see it, but I'm kind of glad I didn't. It seems to be well made and acted; it's just not for me.
Old 02 February 2018, 01:16 AM

Hello Kitty

Another milestone on Young Sheldon tonight... we got what I think was the first appearance of the "Soft Kitty" song.
Old 02 February 2018, 02:27 AM

I tried watching Myths & Monsters on Netflix, but found it to be too basic to be interesting. I'm already quite familiar with joseph Campbell, I don't need a breakdown of what The Hero's Journey is. I'd prefer a much more detailed, in depth examination of myths and what they say about the peoples that told them.
Old 07 February 2018, 04:29 PM

I've watched the first three episodes of the new The X Files series so far. I want to like it just because I was a fan of the original series back when it aired, but so far I'm on the fence about the new series. The first two episodes didn't really hold my interest; the whole "mythology" has gotten so convoluted that I can't really keep track of it anymore. The third episode went back to the tried and true format of a standalone spooky story, and I liked that one better, so I will continue to give it a chance.
Old 07 February 2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
The first two episodes didn't really hold my interest; the whole "mythology" has gotten so convoluted that I can't really keep track of it anymore. The third episode went back to the tried and true format of a standalone spooky story, and I liked that one better, so I will continue to give it a chance.
Back when I was watching the original series, I almost always found the standalone episodes to be more enjoyable than the mythology episodes. And they were usually more clever and better-written, too. Of course, some of the worst episodes were standalones...
Old 07 February 2018, 10:01 PM

I've been enjoying Black Lightning. It is quite a bit different than the other CW superhero shows, so liking or not liking those probably won't be an infallible indicator of liking this one. If I had to compare it to any of the others, it would be season 1 of Arrow.
Old 07 February 2018, 10:48 PM

I missed the premier of that. Guess I'll try catching it once it pops up on Netflix.

What's the personality of the main character like?
Old 08 February 2018, 02:17 AM

He's stopped being a superhero for a while, and is now a principal. Protective, inspiring, with an undercurrent of rage. The rage is what is driving him back to what he was, but he has good reason for it.
Even though it is called Black Lightning, the focus is as much on his entire family as him.
Old 08 February 2018, 02:18 AM

So it's a superhero show... about someone who's avoiding being a superhero?
Old 08 February 2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I tried watching Myths & Monsters on Netflix, but found it to be too basic to be interesting.
I felt the same way, which was disappointing. I had high hopes.
Old 08 February 2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
So it's a superhero show... about someone who's avoiding being a superhero?
Well, not once the show starts. He had been out for ten years, but things are getting worse from both gangs and police and he gets dragged back in.
Yes, I have read The Dark Knight Returns.
Old 08 February 2018, 03:51 AM

Is it set in the Arrowverse? Because I thought superhumans weren't known there until the particle accelerator accident at the start of The Flash. Having him as an active, known hero prior to that would seem like a minor continuity snarl.
Old 08 February 2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Is it set in the Arrowverse? Because I thought superhumans weren't known there until the particle accelerator accident at the start of The Flash. Having him as an active, known hero prior to that would seem like a minor continuity snarl.
Offhand, I don't believe there have been any direct references to any Arrowverse locations or personalities so far, but there was mention that "other supers" are called heroes while Supervolt - I mean, Black Lightning - is called a vigilante, so he certainly doesn't exist in a superhero vacuum.

Quick Googling yields this article that explains that no, Black Lightning is not part of the Arrowverse, although the door apparently remains open for future merging.
Old 08 February 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
Offhand, I don't believe there have been any direct references to any Arrowverse locations or personalities so far, but there was mention that "other supers" are called heroes while Supervolt - I mean, Black Lightning - is called a vigilante, so he certainly doesn't exist in a superhero vacuum.

Quick Googling yields this article that explains that no, Black Lightning is not part of the Arrowverse, although the door apparently remains open for future merging.
It annoys me that the DCverse goes that way...
They did it with Supergirl "not in the same universe!" but then "the Flash opened a portal to an alternate universe and managed to do a crossover with Supergirl!"
And now it's like a regular occurrence. "Need a crossover? Get the Flash, he'll just hop over to Supergirl's universe and bring her back"
Old 08 February 2018, 04:34 PM

With Supergirl it was because the Arrowverse explicitly didn't have Superman or Batman in it when it was formed. Also, Supergirl's first season was on CBS instead of the CW so it wasn't something they could easily coordinate aside from a single crossover episode.
Old 18 February 2018, 02:46 PM

I've been watching Detectorists, with Mackenzie Crook and Toby Young as two guys in a metal detecting club. I've watched the first two series now and it's fantastic - beautifully shot, very well observed and written, funny (but quite subtle - there are few obvious jokes) and poignant. It's lovely... I'd seen a lot of people recommending it over the last few years but until recently had a very different idea of what it would be like. I'm glad it is actually as good as people have been saying it is, and isn't at all like I'd initially imagined.

I'd not realised that Crook also wrote and directed it. I'm looking at him in a new light - he's a very good writer. He can create a recurring joke by having one person say one thing once, and never repeating it, because when the situation recurs it doesn't need to be said! That must be hard to do.
Old 19 February 2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've been watching Detectorists, with Mackenzie Crook and Toby Young as two guys in a metal detecting club. I've watched the first two series now and it's fantastic - beautifully shot, very well observed and written, funny (but quite subtle - there are few obvious jokes) and poignant.
I am hoping the third series will make it to Netflix soon; I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the show just an episode into the first, and was overjoyed when the second showed up. And ditto about Crook, who I did not recognize until my wife noted that he was one of the recurring comic pirates from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. He is an incredible talent.
Old 19 February 2018, 03:13 AM

I've been watching Counterpart on Starz, with J. K. Simmons starring in a Cold War-style espionage thriller. Basically, it's a parallel world scenario where something happened in Germany 30 years ago, and it triggered split realities with the lone crossing point in an East Berlin UN building, The Office. Everything in the building is low tech, probably deliberately to keep Crossers from knowing how the Other Side is doing. They still have ancient CRTs, Polaroids, and dot matrix printers. Also I think I saw some pneumatic tubes, and the whole setup reminds me a bit of Terry Gilliam's Brazil. While both versions started out exactly the same, small alterations in both sides eventually magnified into large differences since both worlds are speciating. This also leads to the Cold War aspect, where each side tries to get information about what's going on with their twin. There's a neat scene in The Lost Art of Diplomacy in which representatives from both sides meet for a horse trading session, and it was interesting to see what was considered to be valuable data. The location of oil deposits was a no-brainer, but census data is also considered to be sensitive, possibly moreso than the oil. Plus there were small jabs here and there, like when Earth Prime's ambassador said his side's oceans were cleaner. Which may be true, but could equally well have been a bluff so his opponents would think the Prime world was doing better than they expected. Anyways, Simmons does a fantastic job at differentiating both versions of Howard Silk. It's easy to tell which Howard I'm looking at just by how Simmons carries himself. I also really love the title sequence. I thought maybe it was Elastic, who does the titles for Westworld and Game of Thrones, but it's Karin Fong's production company Imaginary Forces. They really did a brilliant job at capturing the mood of the show.
Old 19 February 2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
And ditto about Crook, who I did not recognize until my wife noted that he was one of the recurring comic pirates from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. He is an incredible talent.
Yes, in the UK he's still probably better known as Gareth from the original version of The Office. From his past work and the parts he's played, I'd expected something with far more of a cynical or cruel edge to it, whereas there's almost no cynicism or cruelty in this at all, and the edge is very subtle.

The third series doesn't disappoint, either. I'm glad he's said he'll probably end it there though. As it stands I think it's as close to perfect as it can reasonably get.

To give an idea how much I liked it, I bought this box set last week at the same time as I got Season 7 of Game of Thrones. I've not seen this series of GoT. I decided to watch a bit of Detectorists first, as I was curious. And now, having watched all three series (and the Christmas episode, which comes between 2 and 3), I've gone straight back and started watching it again from the beginning, rather than watch GoT.

(eta) It just occurred to me that Mackenzie Crook is in Game of Thrones, too - he plays a warg who controls birds for the wildlings, around series 4 or 5 I think. Since Diana Rigg is in Detectorists too - her part is expanded in series 3 - there's more cross-over than you'd think! (Mind you, more or less everybody seems to be in GoT). And more trivia that I didn't realise until a friend told me - the actor who plays Becky (Rachael Stirling) is Diana Rigg's real daughter too! (And she's married to Guy Garvey from Elbow, which seems to be an obligatory addendum to the first fact).

Last edited by Richard W; 19 February 2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 28 February 2018, 09:49 PM

Just saw the trailer for Jessica Jones season 2.

JJ was already by far my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows, but the trailer uses The Pretty Reckless's Heaven Knows, and given that they're one of my favorite bands I'm even more pumped.