snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 09 December 2017, 01:17 AM

Default Surprisingly touching moments in movies/TV

(Spoiler warnings for Archer, King of the Hill, and Blackadder. I am really trigger happy when it comes to spoiler warnings.)

You know when you're watching a show or movie that tends towards cynical, absurdist, or dark humor - but then something happens that's actually kind of moving? I think sometimes these moments are all the more effective because they're so unexpected. Some examples off the top of my head:

Archer - the season 2 episode called "The Placebo Effect." The friendship Archer forms with the older woman who also has cancer, and his rampage in her honor, are actually kind of sweet.

King of the Hill - the episode titled "Unfortunate Son," in which Hank tries to merge his dad's WWII buddy group with a support group for Vietnam veterans. Towards the end, when one of the Vietnam vets says, "That's all we ever wanted to hear. 'You did your best. Thanks for trying.'" I still get teary-eyed just thinking about it.

Blackadder - If you've seen the show, you what I'm talking about. The final episode of the final season ("Blackadder Goes Forth"), set during WWI.
Old 09 December 2017, 02:06 AM

Baseball

Very good question, Veruca.

I have a few. And they follow three themes.

First theme, those that dare. It is for those scenes where the mass are going one way and the characters are going towards the danger. It is the stoic act of honour that gets me. The end of Saving Private Ryan where Ryan asks if he lived a good life gets me every time. I tend to tear up on Remembrance Day too, and watching documentaries (especially about the police and firefighters from Sept 11).

Second theme, families that love. Seeing real affection and love between family members gets to me. I grew up in a loving home, but in my 30s, lost my Mom and three years later lost my Dad. I miss them terribly. And seeing loving family scenes, reunions, get togethers, or separations, gets me. Best example is a bit absurd, but comes from Futurama, where Leela learns that she is not an alien, but a mutant.

Final theme, true character change. A bad guy to a good guy. A witch into an angel. A character full of hubris to a character full of humility. I have made some major changes in my life and emotionally, I feel connected to characters that do likewise. Although I don't tear up at it, I feel connected to the show My Name is Earl because every character on that show makes a change. But for tearing up, I have another absurd example. At the end of Cars, where McQueen is about to win the race but he decides to help the King. There is a scene that gets me every time. Another is watching Rick throw away his chance at lasting love in Casablanca. He put her on the plane, but he could have been greedy, as he had been for most of the movie.

Thanks for that question. It got me thinking that I need to rewatch a few more shows.
Old 09 December 2017, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Best example is a bit absurd, but comes from Futurama, where Leela learns that she is not an alien, but a mutant.
Yes! Everyone cites "Jurassic Bark" as the Futurama episode that makes them cry, but that's the episode that really has that effect on me. Especially the bit at the end, where Leela is growing up and her parents are constantly watching over her. *Quietly sobs*
Old 09 December 2017, 02:22 AM

Military

The final scene in The Long Gray Line, specifically where he imagines a pair of his former cadets standing across the parade ground as the young men who went off to war. They really should have been old men by then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veruca View Post
Yes! Everyone cites "Jurassic Bark" as the Futurama episode that makes them cry, but that's the episode that really has that effect on me. Especially the bit at the end, where Leela is growing up and her parents are constantly watching over her. *Quietly sobs*
Not the one where Fry finds out that, far from "stealing" his name and his dream, his brother named his son (Fry's nephew) after him? And his nephew then went on to fulfill his dream?
Old 09 December 2017, 02:38 AM

That one too, ASL! That one too.

ETA: Another example just occurred to me. There's a recent movie called "Band Aid" about a couple who can't stop fighting, so they decide to start a band and sing all their problems instead of shouting them at each other. It starts off as a pretty goofy comedy, but then (spoilers white out) it's revealed that the wife recently suffered a miscarriage, which is a source of a lot of the unspoken tension between the two.

So it turns out to have a heavier heart than you'd expect, while remaining a comedy overall.

Last edited by Veruca; 09 December 2017 at 02:41 AM. Reason: More!
Old 09 December 2017, 08:09 PM

The Scrubs episode "My Screwup," where Brendan Fraser plays Dr. Cox's brother-in-law.

Scrubs had other unexpectedly touching moments, but that's one that still gets me the most, especially near the end, where JD asks Cox, "Where do you think you are?"
Old 09 December 2017, 10:22 PM

Totally sucked me in the first time I saw it. My daughter was watching with me, figured it out but didn't tell me.
Old 10 December 2017, 01:47 AM

The earliest one I remember can be summed up in one line, "You're all clear kid! Now let's blow this thing and go home."
Old 10 December 2017, 01:54 AM

Ponder

I wonder... Did the draftees and Clone War-era veterans on the Death Star leave many families behind, or did the Empire follow Federation rules and allow the families to reside on board, in which case they would have all died together with no one to mourn their passing?

ETA: On the bright side, maybe the veteran troopers suffered from PTSD and were glad the end had come, like Paul in All Quiet on the Western Front?
Old 10 December 2017, 02:09 AM

Have you seen "Clerks," ASL? I'm reminded of the conversation about all the union workers, maintenance people, and other non-stormtroopers who must have been aboard the Death Star.
Old 10 December 2017, 02:36 AM

Icon18

I have, but this is more from personal experience serving in the armed forces of an evil empire trying to put down a rebellion than anything else. Filthy rebel scum...
Old 10 December 2017, 02:50 AM

"They knew what they signed up for."
Old 10 December 2017, 02:56 AM

Icon18

Good, our first catch phrase of the day.