snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 17 October 2018, 09:39 PM

GM, if you were in the US, I would suggest talking to your state level legislators*, as they will sometimes take up issues on behalf of constituents, particularly if it's an issue that may be happening to many people, and involves a government program being run poorly. I'm not sure how the program is structured there, or who the relevant elected officials are, but if you think one of them might be interested, it could be worth mentioning. Maybe even more so if you're out of the program now--you'd be helping others, and in a better position to raise the issue.

* In the US, this would be, not Congress people, but members of the state legislature.

Last edited by erwins; 17 October 2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 18 October 2018, 01:57 AM

I still haven't officially been told whether I've been exited from that program but I just got an email informing me that I'm no longer getting the extra $20 a fortnight that program participants receive to cover transport costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
GM, if you were in the US, I would suggest talking to your state level legislators*, as they will sometimes take up issues on behalf of constituents, particularly if it's an issue that may be happening to many people, and involves a government program being run poorly.
I nearly wrote up a huge wall of text about why the program was obviously never designed or intended to work well and doesn't help the unemployed find paying jobs or learn useful skills and was mostly put in place to placate the "silent majority" of conservative voters who are really really angry that "dole bludgers" get a free handout without doing anything to earn it and it's also a way for them to place a whole bunch of hurdles in front of the unemployed and then cancel their dole payments when they fail to meet their 'requirements' and thus reduce the social security budget .... but yeah, I'm pretty sure that the fact that the program is incredibly frustrating and regularly screws over the unemployed is seen as a net positive by the government. The other big bonus to them is that they claim that people in the program aren't unemployed so it lets them cheat the national unemployment figures to make them look a LOT better than they actually are.

We had a similar issue in the last few years when the government downsized the Department of Human Services and automated the system that calculated whether dole recipients had been overpaid,which resulted in tens of thousands of people incorrectly being issued with demands that money be paid back and threatened to have their payments cut off.
https://www.theguardian.com/australi...six-robo-debts
Tens of thousands of vulnerable people were screwed over but the conservative voters loved that the government was finally cracking down on 'dole cheats' so the government was really happy with the result.

Last edited by Gutter Monkey; 18 October 2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 18 October 2018, 02:18 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
You want to soak very soiled clothes for awhile, then start the cycle.
I'm not at all sure this is possible with this machine. There's also the question of how close to the machine you have to be to send the command (I haven't investigated that, yet).

I really do like the machine, and I'm sure I'll be very grateful for all the troubleshooting tips, eventually. It's just the lack of information about the cycles that bugs me.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
There's also the question of how close to the machine you have to be to send the command (I haven't investigated that, yet).
Depends on what communication protocol you use. If Bluetooth, you will probably get 10 meters at best. If WiFi, then you'll probably see ranges of 30-50 meters or more.
Old 18 October 2018, 03:50 PM

Maybe not such a little thing: when I was in the office Tuesday, my boss was trying to get me to reconsider my decision not to apply for a certain job, and she actually said something about any job being better than no job. Leaving aside that at 57, after 30 years of being a breadwinner, I don't need to be told that. It's a wildly inappropriate thing for her to say to me -- especially considering that her interests and mine do not necessarily coincide.
Old 18 October 2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Depends on what communication protocol you use. If Bluetooth, you will probably get 10 meters at best. If WiFi, then you'll probably see ranges of 30-50 meters or more.
And if it's connected to the internet, then you can start the washer from anywhere on Earth that has internet access.
Old 18 October 2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Maybe not such a little thing: when I was in the office Tuesday, my boss was trying to get me to reconsider my decision not to apply for a certain job, and she actually said something about any job being better than no job.
That sounds like a rather unsubtle threat.
Old 18 October 2018, 06:04 PM

They've already eliminated my job effective 12/30. It's in the company's best interest, and thus her best interests, that I get a "suitable"* internal job offer ASAP, so they won't have to pay me 8 weeks of salary as severance. But that's not necessarily in my best interest.

*Suitable by their definition. The example the HR rep gave is that a job 3 pay grades down would not be considered suitable, and I could turn it down without losing my severance. That leaves a lot of wiggle room for them, and it's not their problem if I end up in a job I hate or with an awful boss.
Old 18 October 2018, 06:28 PM

So they could offer you a job two pay grades below your current one and not give severance if you don't take it?
Old 18 October 2018, 06:38 PM

Glasses

Are you actually being required to apply for internal jobs? Or just encouraged to do so?

How does she know whether you're applying for other jobs? That should be between you and HR; she has no right to that information.

Seaboe
Old 18 October 2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
So they could offer you a job two pay grades below your current one and not give severance if you don't take it?
You noticed that, huh? Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Are you actually being required to apply for internal jobs? Or just encouraged to do so?
Not required, but if I apply, receive an offer, and turn it down, I lose my severance.

Quote:
How does she know whether you're applying for other jobs? That should be between you and HR; she has no right to that information.
Because she's overstepping boundaries in an attempt to "help" me. Except of course she's not prioritizing my interests. I'll be reminding her of appropriate boundaries the next time I see her (and avoiding her whenever possible).

I'll also be taking my severance pay agreement to a lawyer for review. I already got a couple of referrals from the local bar association.
Old 18 October 2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
You noticed that, huh? Me too.
When I was 19, I got a job from a place, worked there for a year, then got transferred to a different department. I was told by my boss that I would not be getting a pay cut for this despite the new job having a lower pay grade than my current job.

I got a pay cut and that boss denied having had the conversation with me. I've been sensitive to such matters ever since.
Old 19 October 2018, 03:52 AM

D'oh!

OMG I rang up to confirm if I'd really truly genuinely been exited from Work For The Dole and the whole thing turned out way dumber and more aggravating than I could have expected. I'll put it under a spoiler in case people are sick of me going on about it and don't want to see it.
I rang up my Job Network Provider to verify I'd exited from the program and the person I spoke to was obviously pretty new and had to put me on hold while she checked it up and when she came back she said "Yes, you're finished as far as we can tell." I said "As far as you can tell???" and she said "Yes, you're finished for now" and I said "For now???? I'm a bit worried about this vague language, can you confirm that I've 100% completed this round of Work For The Dole?" and she said she'd have to transfer me to my usual rep and that person told me "Our contract there is finished but once we figure out how many hours you've done you may have two months or 6 weeks left and you'll have to go back to WFTD, the WFTD people aren't in this week so they'll look at it next week and we'll call you in the first week of November."

That first person really obviously wasn't going to tell me any of that, if I hadn't questioned her further I would have had no idea all this crap was continuing.
Old 19 October 2018, 11:46 AM

GM, that is a really crazy system. Maybe you are ok, maybe you totally are not...we will sometime let you maybe know. Sorta. Cause luckily none of this has any real impact on you or your life?

Good luck Lainie. A place I used to work was purchased, and the new company told everyone that there would be no real changes. They then told the HR person they didn't need her, and so would be converting her spot into a more database management spot. The HR person was ok with that, then got her new paycheck which was about half the old one. The company said of course a database person wouldn't get the same pay, so the HR woman quit. Yay, no unemployment pay for her.