snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 11 October 2018, 05:43 PM

I'm more concerned about rodent-borne plague. I'd expect a hooded rat or hamster to be disease-free. A more exotic pet like a squirrel is of greater concern to me, depending on which species it is. People have been infected with plague from pet rodents in the US.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:02 PM

Do you mean bubonic plague? Because the fleas that carry that can be borne by almost any mammal. Dogs are resistant to the plague, but the can carry the fleas. Cats are quite susceptible to both the plague and the disease itself. AFAIK, there is no preventative treatment other than flea prevention so it wouldn't be the case of the squirrel not being vaccinated. Some of the other ailments common to squirrels and humans are also flea or bite transmitted so they have similar risk.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:34 PM

Glasses

Hypothetical question:
You are deathly allergic to cats. You tell the airline this. First, should the airline be required to warn you if someone is bringing a cat on the plane? Second, should they be required to put you on an alternate flight at no cost to you?

Seaboe
Old 11 October 2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
squirrels and other small mammals* are pretty safe and there are no known cases of them giving rabies to humans in the US.

* Except woodchucks.
My vet. said that while mice could theoretically get rabies, they didn't worry much about cats' exposure to wild mice because the mice were so small that if they got bitten by something rabid they would almost certainly die of the bite before rabies had time to develop in them. Maybe squirrels are also small enough to be in that category, though I'm not sure.

Woodchucks are much larger; they're in the size range of a fair sized house cat.

-- Seaboe, I think you have to tell the airline ahead of time if you're bringing a cat. Presumably if somebody else tells the airline that they're deathly allergic to cats, the airline won't put that person and the cat on the same plane in the first place.

If the allergic person didn't tell the airline, I don't see how the airline's going to know.

But I don't fly very often; so it's possible there's something I'm missing here. I do know a person who's allergic to cats and flies quite often -- I asked how he dealt with the fact that there would almost certainly be people on any flight who had cat dander on their clothes (it's effectively impossible for me, for instance, to get out of the house without it, and he's allergic enough that we don't share a hug or even a car) and apparently he does very commonly have some reaction even with no cat on the plane but not so much of one that he can't control it with medication. I didn't ask him about the issue of an actual cat being on the plane.
Old 11 October 2018, 08:48 PM

Under the Air Carrier Access Act, airlines are permitted, but not mandated, to require 48 hours notice if a passenger intends to bring an emotional support animal on board. This could allow them to put something in place that would allow an allergic passenger to switch flights, but I know of no law that would specifically require them to either notify or accommodate the allergic passenger. I do think there could be civil liability if an allergic passenger informed the airline of his condition and the airline failed to at least inform him of a cat on board. I think as a matter of fairness the airline ought to waive any flight change fee and allow the allergic passenger to take a different flight at no extra charge, but I think whether they actually would might depend on how many Twitter followers you have.
Old 11 October 2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Do you mean bubonic plague? Because the fleas that carry that can be borne by almost any mammal. Dogs are resistant to the plague, but the can carry the fleas. Cats are quite susceptible to both the plague and the disease itself. AFAIK, there is no preventative treatment other than flea prevention so it wouldn't be the case of the squirrel not being vaccinated. Some of the other ailments common to squirrels and humans are also flea or bite transmitted so they have similar risk.
No, plague in general- there are several other genuses besides bubonic, some of which are spread by contact with contaminated fluids, feces, or by air. There are also things like hantavirus and a number of other bacterial and viral infections carried by rodents: exotic pets are far more likely to be vectors for such diseases.