snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 26 May 2018, 07:55 PM

UP: About a year and a half ago, my wife and I finally decided to book that cruise we've always wanted to take.
DOWN: Three weeks before the cruise, she fell down the stairs and tore the quad tendon in her left knee.
DOWN: Which needed surgery, and limited her to a leg brace with crutches for short distances, and a wheelchair for long distances.
DOWN: Which kept me out of work to assist her and get her to appointments.
UP: Initial recovery was swift, and she was off the Oxycodone in two days.
DOWN: Then my semi-dependent son got walking pneumonia.
DOWN: Then *I* got sick.
UP: But we all got over the worst of our things and my wife and I went on the cruise anyways!
DOWN: The morning we left for the cruise, the garage door broke - almost couldn't get the car out.
UP: But I got it open!
UP: The cruise was great - well worth waiting 30 years for.
DOWN: Came home to a broken garage door, on a holiday weekend.
DOWN: Came home to find our dog has had diarrhea for three days, and my son wasn't really capable of dealing with it.
DOWN: Had to clean the dog, clean the floors, call Stanley Steemer, and call Overhead Door, on top of all the unpacking and assisting my still-disabled wife.
UP: Stanley Steemer showed up in less than an hour and did a great job.

I'm ready for a vacation
Old 26 May 2018, 11:22 PM

DOWN: my mobile phone speaker isn't working well due to something spilling in it, and it heats up a lot.

UP: I ordered a "pre-loved" same model on ebay. It came very quickly in the mail.

DOWN: I accidentally ordered a phone from the wrong carrier.
Old 29 May 2018, 01:59 PM

Glasses

MG, if you replace the chip with yours, can you make it work?

UP: I made the drive from Spokane in 4.75 hours
DOWN: The elevator at work is turned off (Fireman hat is all lit up).
UP: Glenn (my BFF's father) petted Ferdinand.
DOWN: I woke up with a headache
UP: I am going to head home in a few mintues.

I know the downs and the first two ups aren't related, but I didn't want to do Up, Up, down, down, up.

Seaboe
Old 29 May 2018, 03:58 PM

Up: I've been reading the message boards over at the straight dope, and they remind me of these boards in their heyday.

Down: I miss these boards in their heyday, and the people who frequented them. Also, I just saw Karyn's thread about wanting to change user names, and it made me sad.

Up: Lots of good stuff to read over there.

Down: I'm worried about my work productivity suffering. I may have to experiment with using Tasker to manage when I have mobile data available or something.
Old 29 May 2018, 06:57 PM

I miss these boards in their heyday, too. I've sort of assumed that message boards in general are going out of style in favor of social media. It seems to be part of a larger trend of people being more willing to post online under their real names, or at least handles linked to something with their real names; dating apps are going that way too. Even creative email addresses seem to be a thing of the past. There's also the effect of people moving from laptops and desktops to smartphones, which don't play as nicely with bulletin boards. I wonder if some boards just have enough momentum to hold out longer, or if they'll maintain a presence long-term in the shifting virtual landscape.
Old 29 May 2018, 07:16 PM

I prefer the board format, at least when it's a well run board. Well, actually, for some purposes I prefer the email group format; but that's been even more damaged by Facebook etc. than boards have, and the groups I used to exchange useful information on have pretty much died entirely.

Unfortunately, I may in this as in quite a few other things in my life be in a small minority.

-- I don't know how much it has to do with being willing to post under real names. If that were the only issue, I'd be willing to do that; at least, as long as I get to decide what my "real" name is (my legal name is also not what I'm generally called, or want to be called, though in my case that's just a matter of preferring a variant of my middle name). But most social media forms seem to be trying to funnel everybody's entire life through their sites, and to be trying to keep everyone spending as much time on them as possible. Both of those factors make them intrusive in ways far beyond asking for real names.
Old 29 May 2018, 07:32 PM

I've been part of a few message boards over the years and for one reason or another (hopefully not related to me participating) most have gone the way of the 8 track tape. This is one of the few boards still kicking around even though it is a pale shadow of its former self. I do have to say one big reason most of the boards I know of tanked is because the mods stopped moderating. Perhaps there is more going on behind the scenes than we see but I do worry that this may happen here too. Last time I checked on who our mods were at least two of them had never posted on the board and hadn't even checked in in quite some time.
Old 29 May 2018, 08:44 PM

Up: I had gone to Walmart with the better half, got what we needed and even got two twenties as cash back.

Down: The wind ran off with one of the bills and the credit card cash register receipt

Up: I found the receipt about three rows over.

Down: I did not find the missing twenty. I hope someone found/finds it and can use it. Guess today is my day to be a bit more generous than I thought I was going to be.
Old 01 June 2018, 04:09 PM

Glasses

UP: I got in 15,000 steps yesterday
DOWN: I had to walk home from the car rental place.
UP: The car repairman waited for the tow truck.
DOWN: We couldn't take the most convenient exit because there had been an accident and the ramp was closed.
UP: The firemen disconnected the battery for me, and the engine was not on fire.
DOWN: White smoke was pouring out from under my hood.
UP: I have AAA
DOWN: My starter continued to run even after I removed the keys from the ignition.

The events actually occurred starting from the bottom. I was fine, although I went through enough adrenaline in five minutes for six women.

Seaboe
Old 05 June 2018, 02:26 AM

Down: My car's engine died, and I just took it in for a major service last week.

Up: Turned out it was just a dead battery. And I got to use my AAA membership so I didn't have to pay to have the tow truck come out to jump start it.

Down: Had to get a new battery, mine was really old (to the point that the guy from the tow truck was shocked that it was still in my car and working).

Up: Now my car is working just fine.
Old 05 June 2018, 02:02 PM

Glasses

Crocoduck_hunter, I got a new battery about 6 months ago. The one I had was 9 years old (on average, they last about 4 years).

I'm happy to report (big up) that the starter fried only itself, so I didn't have to have all the wiring replaced.

Down is that, of course, emergency work is expensive.

Seaboe
Old 05 June 2018, 03:36 PM

My battery was a mere eight years old and hadn't fried anything yet.
Old 05 June 2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegends101 View Post
Up: I had gone to Walmart with the better half, got what we needed and even got two twenties as cash back.

Down: The wind ran off with one of the bills and the credit card cash register receipt

Up: I found the receipt about three rows over.

Down: I did not find the missing twenty. I hope someone found/finds it and can use it. Guess today is my day to be a bit more generous than I thought I was going to be.

Up: - I found $7 in the parking slot in a parking lot in Burlington, NC.
Old 15 June 2018, 12:05 AM

Down: after getting my car worked on yesterday, the check engine light came on after I got home (the dealership I go to is 80 miles away because my family has had a long relationship with the owners, and the local dealership has a reputation for dishonesty). This required me to drive back down today.

Up: it was just a wire that hadn't gotten plugged in completely, and they filled my gas tank for me as an apology.
Old 15 June 2018, 12:27 AM

UP: We now have a brand spanking new self propelled lawn mower! We got it for a really decent price too.

DOWN: We had to get it because DW hit a rock with the old 20 year old one, bending the crankshaft.
Old 15 June 2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
UP: We now have a brand spanking new self propelled lawn mower!
I totally misread that as Speaking Self propelled lawnmower

I presumed the down would be it is some distant relative that has come to visit and won’t bugger off home!