snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 13 October 2018, 09:21 PM

Even if it's only a mild annoyance, that's not really acceptable behavior from someone over the age of 3. Have you mentioned it to her?
Old 13 October 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I think I've lost my glasses... The annoying thing is that I was out last night and decided to go for a walk in the woods on the way home, and was blundering about in the dark for a while, with my glasses in my shirt pocket. I'm sure I remembered to make sure they were still there, and that I still had them when I got home, but now they don't seem to be anywhere in my flat!
This happened to me at college- I took my glasses off because it was raining and tucked them into my jacket pocket. They fell out somewhere on the way across campus. Luckily I had a spare pair to use. We retraced my steps and checked the various lost and founds multiple times, to no avail.
Old 14 October 2018, 11:03 AM

I also went out and retraced my steps yesterday to no avail. I have a spare older pair with what seems to be the same prescription, but I was still annoyed.

Then this morning, I found them in my flat... rather than on my bedside table where I usually put them, I'd put them down on a pile of books on the shelf by my bed next to the table, and then they'd fallen back between the pile of books and the rest of the shelf. So I could only see them because I woke up in the night, decided to read for a bit, picked up the book that was hiding them, and could see them from the angle I was lying at in bed (when I wouldn't have been able to see them if standing, or probably not even if sitting on the bed).

So, that's good! Especially since one thing that was annoying me wasn't losing the glasses as such (which was definitely annoying), it was that I'd been consciously thinking about not losing them at the time (I had them in my pocket because after missing the path in the woods, I didn't want them to get knocked off my face by a low branch in the dark), and I'd been sure I got home and knew that I still had them. I'd also been making sure my phone didn't fall out of my pocket, and I still had that. I was annoyed with my memory for apparently misleading me - and then it turned out that it hadn't, which is good.
Old 15 October 2018, 03:23 PM

Glasses

I'm listening into a live training for a new system. It's being given to multiple clients of the service, not just my employer. My employer specifically asked that we not ask questions (we also aren't supposed to say who we work for). Man, do I see why. Listening to people ask questions that are only tangentially related to the training is annoying.

Seaboe
Old 15 October 2018, 04:27 PM

I can't stand group training for that reason. Whoever said "there's not such thing as a stupid question", was wrong. There are stupid questions, irrelevant questions, and so much more.
Old 15 October 2018, 05:15 PM

Or, as a coffee cup I once saw had it, "There may be no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots."
Old 15 October 2018, 07:25 PM

Glasses

I admit that some of my annoyance stems from knowing a lot more about the system then the other trainees apparently do. I have a habit of assuming that if someone is being trained on a new version of an existing software, that they are used to using all aspects of the earlier version. This is clearly not true.

Seaboe
Old 15 October 2018, 10:59 PM

I was listening to FM radio and the DJ announced in a serious voice, she had "very sad news." I was prepared for another beloved musician or celebrity to have died. Or something related to the devastation of Hurricane Michael. No, she was announcing the bankruptcy of Sears.
Old 16 October 2018, 08:10 AM

Update on this post from the 14 of September:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Update on my post from last Tuesday:
Quote:
I did a full day's work at the opp shop for Work For The Dole yesterday but apparently they forgot to report my attendance
10 days later and that problem is FINALLY fixed. My job network agency didn't actually tell me it was fixed, I had to ring in and ask them about it. But while I had them on the phone I got them to check the total number of hours they had recorded for my attendance and there's over 100 hours missing!!

Quick maths question: What is 24 x 7.5??
a) 77 hours
b) 180 hours
c) LOL I dunno, I'll ask some guys, maybe call back on Monday????

(Answer: apparently it's either A or C, but definitely not B.)

It's over one month later and this problem STILL hasn't been fixed. The online system is showing that I've now been "exited" from the Work For The Dole program and I don't have any more work days scheduled but I'm paranoid that they'll get around to fixing the problem from last month and decide I haven't actually completed my 'sentence' yet. Every time I've asked these last few weeks they just tell me it's being "worked on" and they couldn't tell me anything else.
So far they've never contacted me to give me any updates, there's been total radio silence unless I called them to ask.
Old 16 October 2018, 03:21 PM

A cynical person (not me of course, but someone cynical) would think they a) have no idea how to fix the issue and/or b) have no interest in fixing the issue and are hoping to stonewall you until 1) you give up and/or 2) the issue becomes moot for some other reason.
Old 16 October 2018, 03:25 PM

Glasses

I believe GM is okay if the issue becomes moot. When I was on unemployment (more than 20 years ago, I admit), if you were declared not eligible for some reason, you had to pay back the money you were given; I assume that is what GM is worried about.

Seaboe
Old 16 October 2018, 03:35 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of it becoming moot for the Work for the Dole people, not moot for GM. Something like what you said, GM being disqualified and the collections people getting involved or such.
Old 16 October 2018, 04:31 PM

Baseball

I got a paper cut today. First time in many years. I'm annoyed. It hurts.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:05 PM

Glasses

Oddly irksome lttam:

I'm playing a city building/match 3 game set in what appears to be Egypt (pyramids, sphinx, sand). In the game you build a farm among other buildings.

On the farm one of the crops is tomatoes.

This would have been fine if the game had been set in South America, but Egypt, not so much.

Morning
has always disliked tomatoes.
Old 16 October 2018, 05:13 PM

It is not actually ancient Egypt. It is actually an Egyptian version of Colonial Williamsburg.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:09 PM

GM, is there anyone higher up that you can escalate to?
Old 16 October 2018, 07:38 PM

Glasses

The user's manual for my new washing machine has lots of information about trouble-shooting and using my phone as a remote control (although--if you do that, who puts the laundry and detergent into the machine?), but next to nothing about what the various cycles actually do.

Seaboe
Old 16 October 2018, 08:45 PM

I could foresee several times when the remote control would be useful. You are washing a load with hot, but someone is taking a shower so you load the machine, then start it when they are done. You want to soak very soiled clothes for awhile, then start the cycle. You are on demand-pricing electricity and want to start the load at the lower price point.

A handy part of the remote control is if it says when the laundry is done. We have our machines outside in the utility room and it would be nice if you don't have to go out there to check, especially in the summer heat.
Old 17 October 2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
A cynical person (not me of course, but someone cynical) would think they a) have no idea how to fix the issue and/or b) have no interest in fixing the issue and are hoping to stonewall you until 1) you give up and/or 2) the issue becomes moot for some other reason.
If I really have been 'exited' from the program then my complaint will probably be rendered moot as far as they're concerned. They won't need to ensure the record of how much time I've completed is true and accurate if the computer says I'm 100% done!
Of course there's no telling how many other people were affected by whatever this issue was but I'm guessing that it has to be a non-zero amount. The mistakes made on my records weren't one or two silly typos, they were fairly glaring omissions which were made repeatedly over several months. It must be a significant procedural problem so I really doubt I was the only one affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
GM, is there anyone higher up that you can escalate to?
There probably is but I'm trying really really hard not to 'rock the boat' unless I have absolutely no other choice. These people could make my life a LOT harder if they felt like it so I try to fly under the radar as much as possible.
Old 17 October 2018, 08:52 PM

LTAM: My company pays once every two weeks. The book-keeper figures out paychecks and invoices and then is supposed to be balancing these hash totals with the head of accounting. I take their balanced numbers and check them against my operations database (where I store utilization and profitability) to make sure I didn't get something wrong. I find mistakes in their numbers every week. The greater majority of these mistakes should never make it buy their balancing process.

If two people are independently tabulating numbers how do they manage to come up with the exact same wrong numbers? We all use the exact same source for the data, but they'll have hours credited to the wrong client (we check subtotals at the client/resource level), at the wrong rate and still manage to match their hash totals?