snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 24 August 2018, 11:47 PM

Icon06 Sen. John McCain Will Discontinue Medical Treatment For Brain Cancer

Quote:
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., will no longer receive medical treatment, his family announced Friday. The 81-year-old senator has been battling brain cancer for more than a year, since announcing last July that he had been diagnosed with an aggressive tumor called a glioblastoma.
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/64155...r-brain-cancer
Old 25 August 2018, 03:21 AM

Default At GOP event, Trump is silent on dying McCain

President Donald Trump ignored Sen. John McCain during his only public remarks Friday, declining to say anything about the former prisoner of war and 35-year veteran of Congress who has decided to end his treatment for terminal brain cancer.

At a fundraising dinner for the Ohio Republican Party in Columbus Friday night, Trump reiterated the staples of his stump speech, touting his economic record, railing against illegal immigration and insulting a series of prominent Democrats.

The president even gave shout-outs to Kanye West and Kim Kardashian West. But he said nothing about the Arizona Republican.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...mccain-n903796
Old 25 August 2018, 05:19 AM

Class act, our prezzy. And our GOP.

Do I agree with McCain? No, probably not on 85-90% of issues. But I will not begrudge that he served his country nobly, in the military/as a POW and probably tried to do well later in life. Not that I think military or POW status entitles you to votes, but it does initially show a devotion to the common good that you believe in. McCain I think did a lot more of "show not tell" than a lot of the current candidate crop.

I hope he goes out in peace and his family finds peace as well. I hope that for everyone around us.

And let the democrats take over and let us return to something close to western democracy.
Old 25 August 2018, 11:03 AM

Yes. I disagreed with McCain a lot. But he was capable of respecting people whom he disagreed with; and deserves the same in return.

I also hope that he can find a peaceful end, and that his family/friends can find comfort.
Old 25 August 2018, 01:55 PM

Vanishing

What should Trump have said? Would it have mattered? I doubt the senator or his family would be heartened by his words, so is the thrust of the criticism that he ought to say something to score points for himself? Honestly, shutting up is probably the classiest thing he could do for anyone now.

I’m really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. It seems like there’s a lot more the media could be covering than "zOMG McCain is dying and trump didn’t say anything!"

There’s a scene in the movie mother! I’m reminded of. God offering words of comfort that, on close examination, are actually pretty damn empty, but they sure sound nice if you don’t think too hard and then everyone turns to Mother Earth and gets all huffy when she has nothing to say to them, no comfort to offer the family of the dead.

Where did we get this idea that there should be any words to say when someone is dying and there’s nothing we can do about it?
Old 25 August 2018, 02:04 PM

Trump should have acknowledged this if only because McCain is a 35 year veteran of Congress and still is. He couldn't (in his mind) say anything because he's already poisoned the well where McCain is concerned. It's pathetic that the President of the United States has painted himself into a corner like this because of his own nasty words.

No one wants his words of comfort but only his devoted acolytes will make excuses because he can't and won't perform what is a fairly traditional presidential role.
Old 25 August 2018, 05:08 PM

United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Yes. I disagreed with McCain a lot. But he was capable of respecting people whom he disagreed with; and deserves the same in return.

I also hope that he can find a peaceful end, and that his family/friends can find comfort.
This. DH and I could not agree more. From what I've read of McCain's POW ordeal, he could have been released--the Vietcong would have let him go, but his men would have had to remain. McCain refused. That is a leader IMO.
Old 25 August 2018, 08:03 PM

ASL, it may indeed be kind of a silly thing for US Presidents to do; if less silly than getting in the way of rescuers/rebuilders by touring disaster sites. But, like touring disaster sites, expressing sympathies in cases like this has become a standard sort of thing for them to do. And some people do indeed seem to be comforted by the recognition, even if not by the specific president who happens to be in office at the time.

And, in the wider societal tradition, most people at least in this society do expect those who are connected personally or professionally to a dying person to make sympathetic noises at those closest to the situation, often even if they didn't get along well. It's got nothing to do with being able to do anything about it, any more than going to a funeral does -- at which point there is, if possible, even less that can be done about it.

Admittedly, I don't know why anyone would by this point be expecting Trump to follow polite presidential, or other societal, conventions. And I do agree that there's more important news to cover; though that doesn't seem to be stopping me from commenting on this bit.

ETA: I think McCain's condition is in itself news worth covering, at least to a reasonable extent. But I take ASL to be wondering, not why that's being reported, but why Trump's lack of public reaction to it is.

Last edited by thorny locust; 25 August 2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 25 August 2018, 08:41 PM

I agree, tl, and while I also agree that Trump's inattention to social conventions (indeed, his inattention to anything that isn't about him) should surprise no one, I don't think something has to be surprising to be newsworthy. (Not that I interpret your post to mean that, just jumping off.)
Old 25 August 2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Admittedly, I don't know why anyone would by this point be expecting Trump to follow polite presidential, or other societal, conventions. And I do agree that there's more important news to cover; though that doesn't seem to be stopping me from commenting on this bit.

There is always going to be more important news to cover! That doesn't mean a story isn't newsworthy.

Trump being an unmitigated ass is just another day in the US but if the news stops covering his failings, his constant and endless failings, he wins.
Old 26 August 2018, 01:46 AM

Multiple news outlets are now posting that Sen. McCain has passed.
Old 26 August 2018, 01:55 AM

Baseball

Cancer has claimed a warrior. Cancer sucks.

RIP John McCain.
Old 26 August 2018, 02:16 AM

And he's passed away. Damn. NFBSK cancer. Rest in peace, Senator McCain.

Story here
Old 26 August 2018, 02:17 AM

United States

Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Old 26 August 2018, 02:38 AM

Damn cancer . RIP Mr McCain.
Old 26 August 2018, 04:17 AM

Icon06

RIP Senator McCain
Old 26 August 2018, 06:54 PM

Default In death, John McCain shows an alternative to Trump

In death, Sen. John McCain is about to exact revenge on President Trump.

As McCain (R-Ariz.) ascends to heaven on an updraft of praise, Trump’s political hell on Earth will burn hotter. Through the wall-to-wall coverage of McCain’s life, and his memorial and burial that will take place over the next few days, Trump will become a bystander as our nation is given a reminder of the best of what it stands for, and the best of what it can be. The president and the rest of America are about to look in the mirror and see Trump’s opposite.

McCain lived a life of service to country; Trump lives in service of self. McCain exemplified sacrifice; Trump, indulgence. McCain played down his heroism; Trump boasts of imagined rescues into school buildings to save children from gunfire. McCain sought reconciliation with his enemies; Trump thrives on creating new ones. McCain was, in the words of his longtime aide and collaborator Mark Salter, a “romantic about his causes and a cynic about the world.” Trump is a cynic about both.

Perhaps McCain (and Salter, his co-writer) stated the contrast best in 2002, long before the age of Trump: “Success, wealth, [and] celebrity, gained and kept for private interest, are small things. … But sacrifice for a cause greater than self-interest, and you invest your life with the eminence of that cause, [and] your self-respect is assured.” Once McCain was asked what he wanted on his tombstone; he replied, “He served his country.” One imagines that Trump’s desired epitaph might be, “I did it my way.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.ec2c8fa6864f
Old 26 August 2018, 07:47 PM

'Arizona GOP Senate candidate Kelli Ward suggested Saturday that the Friday statement issued by Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) family about ending medical treatment for brain cancer was intended to hurt her campaign.'

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ment-on-cancer

Classy...
Old 26 August 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
'Arizona GOP Senate candidate Kelli Ward suggested Saturday that the Friday statement issued by Sen. John McCain’s (R-Ariz.) family about ending medical treatment for brain cancer was intended to hurt her campaign.'
WTF?

-- apparently she at least had the sense to delete it. But not the sense to realize that deleting it wouldn't get rid of the evidence.

Or, of course, the common compassion to realize how unlikely it is that she was the one at the front of McCain's family's minds.

-- if there was anything at all about his timing, it would have been in not resigning soon enough for his seat to be up for election this fall, instead of being by state law filled by appointment, and by state law filled with a Republican. But I don't know whether he thought in May that it might still be possible for him to vote on an urgent matter after the end of May.
Old 27 August 2018, 03:00 PM

Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...ment-on-cancer

Classy...
Paranoid much lady?