snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 03 August 2018, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I always wonder who got this pumpkin spice trend going. I just assume that they are disgustingly rich
Interesting step-off point for your diatribe, and I'm sorry to step on your ideals, but given that so-called pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves & ginger, usually) has been around since the 17th century, and has long been associated with winter, I doubt it was the super rich who tagged it with the pumpkin label.

That was probably some marketing geek, since pumpkins are associated with fall, and with pies that also use those same spices.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2018, 08:31 PM

I don't understand the assumption it must have come from someone who is super-rich.

I was in love with pumpkin flavoring as a kid. Pumpkin was my favorite ice-cream for the longest time, though it used to be impossible to get outside of October. At some point they stopped calling it just pumpkin in favor of the more correctly named pumpkin-spice. And then it exploded in popularity. I still love pumpkin ice-cream and pumpkin donuts, but little else in the pumpkin spice craze appeals to me.
Old 03 August 2018, 09:37 PM

I believe the joke from Mouse was that since it is ubiquitous for several months, the inventor must have become unbelievably rich in the meantime.
Old 03 August 2018, 09:52 PM

Since pumpkin is in the squash family, I would assume that it can be substituted for any of the squash recipes. I thought the traditional pumpkin flavor is actually the spices used to make pumpkin pie.
Old 03 August 2018, 10:11 PM

Most winter squash work as well as or better than pumpkin in most recipes calling for pumpkin.

-- there isn't actually any coherent difference between pumpkin and other squash. There are several different species of winter squash commonly grown in the USA; at least three of them contain some pumpkins, and all of those also contain other squashes.
Old 04 August 2018, 12:15 AM

The "pumpkin" that Libby's (AFAIK, the #1 producer of canned pumpkin in the US) uses for their product lies somewhere between what we'd picture as a jack-o'lantern style pumpkin and a butternut squash.

https://www.epicurious.com/ingredien...umpkin-article

Looks like a familiar website may have weighed in on this as well.
Old 04 August 2018, 03:56 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I believe the joke from Mouse was that since it is ubiquitous for several months, the inventor must have become unbelievably rich in the meantime.
Basically, yes. I thought I’d made that clear, but perhaps I hadn’t.

Though I probably should have said the marketer who launched the trend must be disgustingly rich.

Last edited by Mouse; 04 August 2018 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Added spacing
Old 04 August 2018, 06:13 AM

Emphasis on disgusting?

I just don't like pumpkin flavoring.

TYSHTTP: Saying "I see more news articles about people getting attacked by taxi drivers than Uber drivers" isn't proof of anything aside from you having confirmation bias.
Old 05 August 2018, 03:24 PM

Jaded

To the county bureaucrat who sent me a letter about my overgrown foliage: yes, I'm well aware of it and take full responsibility for it. In case you have not noticed though, it's been extraordinarily rainy for the past 2-3 weeks--this causes green stuff to grow real fast, and it's kind of hard to do yard work in the rain. Surely you've seen/heard the flood warnings/watches that have been all over the region lately?
Relax--I'll get my yard crew on it this week; there are only pop-up showers in the long range forecast. Go bug someone else.
Old 06 August 2018, 02:37 PM

Icon02

I don't mind all the pumpkin spice, but I wish there was some way of ridding the world of those goddamned scented pine cones that come out at the same time and are placed at the front door of the supermarket. They make me ill.
Old 06 August 2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I don't mind all the pumpkin spice, but I wish there was some way of ridding the world of those goddamned scented pine cones that come out at the same time and are placed at the front door of the supermarket. They make me ill.
Can I get an amen?

AMEN!!
Old 06 August 2018, 04:57 PM

Amen! My wife has an allergy to cinnamon fragrance, and hates the things.
Old 06 August 2018, 05:54 PM

Icon86

Does ANYONE actually use these things? I think they just pile them up at the door to remind you to start buying Halloween candy and Thanksgiving food.
Old 06 August 2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
I'd talk to the supermarket manager. Maybe you can get them moved to a back corner that people who are put off by them don't need to go near; or better yet put outside somewhere not too close to the door.

People who like the things (there must be some) often don't seem to realize that there are people who vehemently dislike them, as well as people made quite literally ill by them. There really shouldn't be a wall of scent -- of any kind of scent -- that it's necessary to walk through to get into the store (except of course for stores specializing in scented stuff, which people like me won't be going into in any case.)
Old 07 August 2018, 02:23 AM

I love the cinnamon scented cones but it is a VERY strong smell and I do feel bad for people who are sensitive to it. It seems particularly inescapable in craft stores (my sister hates the smell & used to say- "Smells like Rag Shop").
Old 07 August 2018, 12:38 PM

Icon86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I love the cinnamon scented cones but it is a VERY strong smell and I do feel bad for people who are sensitive to it. It seems particularly inescapable in craft stores (my sister hates the smell & used to say- "Smells like Rag Shop").

A little bit of any smell goes a long way. I hate walking down the detergent aisle of the grocery store.
Old 07 August 2018, 06:47 PM

If you're flying a flag that says "United We Stand" right next to a Confederate battle flag, you're definitely sending mixed messages.
Old 07 August 2018, 07:46 PM

Glasses

Perhaps they're indicating that they are united in their racist & bigoted beliefs.

Seaboe
Old 07 August 2018, 08:24 PM

Yeah, they probably have a very specific and exclusive definition for who exactly belongs to the "we" in the first flag.

Reminds me of the house I saw that had a West Virginia state flag and a Confederate battle flag.
Old 07 August 2018, 09:14 PM

Icon02

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I'd talk to the supermarket manager. Maybe you can get them moved to a back corner that people who are put off by them don't need to go near; or better yet put outside somewhere not too close to the door.

People who like the things (there must be some) often don't seem to realize that there are people who vehemently dislike them, as well as people made quite literally ill by them. There really shouldn't be a wall of scent -- of any kind of scent -- that it's necessary to walk through to get into the store (except of course for stores specializing in scented stuff, which people like me won't be going into in any case.)
It's not just one store, it's all the supermarkets and many craft stores. I don't have time to complain to them all. I just don't understand how (for example) fear of peanut allergies means I can't buy bulk peanuts in some food stores, but these stinky, useless things are everywhere!
Closed Thread