snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Technical Questions

Old 01 June 2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/SnopesMsgbrd/

Here we go. A home away from home on reddit for all those interested.
Subscribed.
Old 01 June 2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
I wasn't thinking of that so much, as of looking around at other existing and still reasonably lively forums that include both fact-investigating interests and some general conversation threads, and bearing them in mind as possible backups if needed. Straight Dope, or TVTropes, or Cracked, maybe. None of them is snopes,
Before coming here umpteen gawdzillian years ago, I was a regular at the Straight Dope Message Board. Have not been a regular in 15+ years, so don't know how much it has changed (I'm sure a lot). In general, liberal tendancies; mostly intelligent (I know, sounds good so far). Much less thoughtful - more likely to get flame wars and trolling. Definitely not going to get the reasoned debates that I come to expect here. Much more likely to get the truly silly and weird and obscure (and obscene) discussions. It was actually too busy for me - I couldn't keep up with everything.

Also spent time at the boards on DarwinAwards.com. Again, tended to be intelligent, but (and, again, 15+ years ago) also tended to be nastier.

I like it here. I don't want my home to go away. I know I've taken time off - work changes, free-time changes, habits change. Even when I've not been a frequent poster, I've touted the snopes message board as a place for intelligent people willing to actually have discussions.

Maybe we just need to get that SLC pool party going again.
Old 01 June 2018, 05:45 PM

Subbed and posted but it didn't show.

I totally read it as Snopes Message Bird though.
Old 01 June 2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbie View Post
Subbed and posted but it didn't show.

I totally read it as Snopes Message Bird though.
It's there!
Old 01 June 2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Before coming here umpteen gawdzillian years ago, I was a regular at the Straight Dope Message Board. Have not been a regular in 15+ years, so don't know how much it has changed (I'm sure a lot). In general, liberal tendancies; mostly intelligent (I know, sounds good so far). Much less thoughtful - more likely to get flame wars and trolling. Definitely not going to get the reasoned debates that I come to expect here. Much more likely to get the truly silly and weird and obscure (and obscene) discussions. It was actually too busy for me - I couldn't keep up with everything.
I've been lurking over there, and it reminds me of 10-15 years ago on these boards. Busier, but with that comes more extreme positions, more nastiness, more kneejerk reactions, and even more trolls. But, it does seem well-moderated to me, and I do see intelligent discussions happening. I wonder if it has shrunk some since your time there.

Quote:
I like it here. I don't want my home to go away. I know I've taken time off - work changes, free-time changes, habits change. Even when I've not been a frequent poster, I've touted the snopes message board as a place for intelligent people willing to actually have discussions.

Maybe we just need to get that SLC pool party going again.
I do think we've probably gone below the critical mass needed to keep this board going. And snopes is clearly not interested in it anymore. I don't want to leave, either, and maybe I'll keep coming back here even if I do join another board, but I don't think this board is going to be viable for very much longer. It makes me quite sad. I hung around here since long before my join date, and it's been a great place. I already miss that place though, because what I remember it as is already gone.
Old 01 June 2018, 07:14 PM

If nothing can be done to restore membership, that is probably true, erwins.

If anybody has some connection with Snopes and can speak to him about becoming an active moderator, it might still be reversible. If the main Snopes site has passed on from active interest in the forum, then maybe users who are still here can take over control. If that is possible, then there might still be time to restore life to this message board.

I would be willing to help but as a relative minor contributor I presume Snopes would not know me from Adam, somebody with more active history might have a better chance.

Has anybody interested in this thread try to contact anybody on the main site?
Old 01 June 2018, 07:45 PM

A thread talking about the slow death of this board is one of the busiest threads we've had in a long time! Every once in awhile a thread captures enough interest that it makes it past a page or two of posts. What's sad about the board now is even a very interesting and/or controversial topic can sit with one or two responses. It's discouraging if you're the one who started the thread but it's also discouraging if you want to respond but there's just no general interest. A board I belonged to that was about an author I like ended up curling up and dying because we went from about 1000+ posts a month to 2 or 3 .
Old 01 June 2018, 08:00 PM

I'm working the scant contacts I have to see if I can get in touch with snopes. No luck yet though.
Old 01 June 2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
A thread talking about the slow death of this board is one of the busiest threads we've had in a long time! Every once in awhile a thread captures enough interest that it makes it past a page or two of posts. What's sad about the board now is even a very interesting and/or controversial topic can sit with one or two responses. It's discouraging if you're the one who started the thread but it's also discouraging if you want to respond but there's just no general interest. A board I belonged to that was about an author I like ended up curling up and dying because we went from about 1000+ posts a month to 2 or 3 .
I used to have a dozen or more threads to read every few days - and some of those were pages and pages long! Now, like you said, this is the longest thread in quite some time...

One of my other favorite message boards (the Ettiquette Hell one) just closed on May due to lack of interest and revenue to keep it going. Pretty sure this is going the same way.
Old 01 June 2018, 08:11 PM

Just made a Reddit account to join. Thanks, Morrigan!
Old 02 June 2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Straight Dope, or TVTropes, or Cracked, maybe.
My experience with the Cracked forums is that outside of the content submission section, there is a small clique of long-timers and employees who are not very welcoming of new people in their discussion groups. They are heavy with the ban-hammer and will shut down threads and delete any post that even goes marginally off-topic. I never felt comfortable contributing anything there.
Old 02 June 2018, 01:10 AM

Thanks, Cervus. I haven't actually spent much time there.

The TVTropes threads that are on serious topics seem to be supposed to stay strictly on topic, with no digressions. They do have also general conversation threads.

I hadn't run into the Straight Dope boards until a couple of days ago, and did spend a while reading over there. One thing I read was a very long and active thread in which a number of people unhappy with something a poster was doing were discussing the issue with several moderators. After several days and a lot of posts this seemed to come out to a reasonable consensus (though the poster being complained about may not have agreed with that.)

Overall it looked like a place I might be comfortable posting at; but would still rather stay here if possible.

I might get a Reddit account. I started reading the terms and conditions but decided I'm not up for reading all that right now. (I'm not entirely sure why I do read terms and conditions. It generally seems to come down to 'if you want to be online, you have to agree to this stuff.' But I'm weird. I usually read them.) -- Reddit itself seems to have a wildly mixed reputation; but a lot of the question may be who's moderating the specific board.
Old 02 June 2018, 01:25 AM

Glasses

I got a Reddit account and subscribed to that thread.... but having never Redditted before I'll wait to be guided by someone knowledgeable.

I really hope Karyn comes back. I totally understand why she doesn't want to see that wrong name anymore and I hope it can be fixed.

Edit to add: This is my 2000th post, since join date in 2004. I guess I really don't post often.
Old 02 June 2018, 02:34 AM

Or else I talk a lot --
Old 02 June 2018, 04:54 AM

I have a visceral reaction toward Reddit that may take some getting over.
Old 02 June 2018, 05:41 AM

Me too. I bookmarked it, though.
Old 02 June 2018, 12:09 PM

Isn't Four Kitties a snopes moderator? She still posts around, could someone contact her about this?
Old 02 June 2018, 01:08 PM

I've never used Reddit before either, and don't like its format, but I signed up for this.

Is there some sort of limit on how often you're allowed to post on Reddit as a new user? I posted a hello in one thread, then tried to post something in the other a few minutes later and when I clicked Save it told me I was "doing that too much" and to try again in 7 minutes. That will be a bit annoying if it persists!
Old 02 June 2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Isn't Four Kitties a snopes moderator? She still posts around, could someone contact her about this?
Given that she only ever posts to one thread and never comments anywhere else Iíve just assumed that itís not really her posting and itís just an automatic uploader or something.
Old 02 June 2018, 04:10 PM

Four Kitties is still out there somewhere, she is the person who reviews and answers snopes mail. I've sent an email in that direction and am hopeful awaiting a reply.