snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 15 April 2018, 01:16 PM

Flame Duchess Anne's Heart stolen

Quote:
The 16th century engraved golden case that once held the relic heart of Anne de Bretagne has been stolen from the Dobrée museum in Nantes (Loire-Atlantique, Pays-de-la-Loire).
https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...retagne-stolen

As a Breton, that makes my blood boil. Let's hope it will be found rapidly, and in good state. If not, we might have lost one of the most, if not the most valuable piece of our history.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:08 PM

Any clues yet? I imagine it's in someone's private collection; good luck fencing such a well known item.

ETA: I liken it to someone breaking in to the National Archives and making off with the Constitution.
Old 16 April 2018, 02:32 PM

Glasses

Let's just pray that the thieves don't melt it down.

Seaboe
Old 16 April 2018, 04:49 PM

I can't imagine anyone who'd bother stealing such a famous item just to melt it down. If that's all you wanted to do, there are plenty of much less famous and easier to steal items to choose from. I'm also guessing that it's bound for the private villa of some rich person.
Old 16 April 2018, 05:15 PM

Possibly more than one.
Old 17 April 2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I can't imagine anyone who'd bother stealing such a famous item just to melt it down. If that's all you wanted to do, there are plenty of much less famous and easier to steal items to choose from. I'm also guessing that it's bound for the private villa of some rich person.
It may have been that the security for that particular piece wasn't very good. If it is easy to steal someone may well have been after just the value of the gold.
Old 17 April 2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm sure you realize this but just to be clear: The story of the forgeries is, as that article says, "garbage".
Old 17 April 2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
It may have been that the security for that particular piece wasn't very good. If it is easy to steal someone may well have been after just the value of the gold.
Especially given that the other items stolen (according to the article) were a golden Hindu statue and some gold coins.
Old 17 April 2018, 01:17 PM

This means the stolen goods are likely headed for the crucible and not a collector's shelf. A pity. But I wonder: is there not less conspicuous gold out there to be stolen?
Old 17 April 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I'm sure you realize this but just to be clear: The story of the forgeries is, as that article says, "garbage".
Yes, but the idea still has merit. A decent forger could sell multiple copies of the same item because the buyer likely can't have it appraised by an expert.
Old 18 April 2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Yes, but the idea still has merit. A decent forger could sell multiple copies of the same item because the buyer likely can't have it appraised by an expert.
And they can't really tell many people they have it. So no one can say "Hey Joe Blogs in Whoville says they have that."
Old 18 April 2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm going to have to disagree about the "has merit" part. I don't think such a (needlessly?) elaborate ruse has ever happened in the history of forgeries. It's just a trope of fiction. (And I'm pretty sure that trope was invented or at the very least almost entirely popularised by the fictional Mona Lisa theft-forgery caper.)
Old 18 April 2018, 02:55 PM

I'm afraid you've been duped by Big Museum if you think it has never happened.
Old 18 April 2018, 04:46 PM

Even WITH appraisal, forgeries are sometimes accepted as real. A documentary I saw on PBS followed a man who forged art in many styles, often using crude techniques, and would use false identities to sell the works to galleries and museums. He was seldom spotted, and not immediately.

If a theft opportunity presents itself to a motivated individual, the plan has merit. It may be more difficult with a copy of a known work, but I do not doubt it's possible.

Last edited by ChasFink; 18 April 2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Elaboration.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
GenYus, let it go, or some goons will show up to "curate you" until you keep quiet about this.
Old 19 April 2018, 01:26 AM

Quote:
You got me there! Five things They don't want you to know about Impression Sunrise!

I'm of the (minority?) opinion that if there were a perfect copy down to the molecular level then it wouldn't matter whether it was a forgery or not. But that thought experiment is little comfort with something as irreplaceable as what was lost in the OP. I just hope it's found or returned before anything bad happens.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:07 PM

Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I'm of the (minority?) opinion that if there were a perfect copy down to the molecular level then it wouldn't matter whether it was a forgery or not.
I would agree with you there - even on a much more macroscopic level - as far as the appreciation of the work is concerned. But to me the point of originality in these cases is more the commercial or collector's value. A Picasso is worth something because Picasso put the paint on the canvas, the same way a set of Spock ear tips are worth something because they touched Leonard Nimoy's (or Zachary Quinto's?) ears.

If we were literally talking about a molecular-level copy we might get into a whole other philosophical argument about identity, but let's leave that for another day.
Old 19 April 2018, 02:28 PM

So it is still your grandfather's axe?
Old 19 April 2018, 04:06 PM

Teacher

Quote:
So it is still your grandfather's axe?
Is what my grandfather's axe?

When a friend in college found out I was studying Philosophy, she asked what that entailed. I said something like "the basic questions in life, morals, and things like whether it's the same boat if you replace a board each day until no part of the original boat remains" She presented her boyfriend with the problem, and - despite centuries of debate on the question - he definitively declared it was not the same boat. When asked when it stopped being the same boat, he said "exactly halfway."
Old 19 April 2018, 04:25 PM

That was in response to ganzfeld's post.