snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 13 April 2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Alarm, I suspect that if he did not own the building (and thus was not being required to make the payment), he'd be all for it--particularly if members of his constituency lived there.

Seaboe
But that's it. He's for it, if it doesn't cost him anything.
It's like his position on the Wall "let Mexico pay for it"
Old 15 April 2018, 12:16 AM

Tsk, Tsk

If there's four different electrical devices plugged into a power board and you're finished using one of them then switch off that one item instead of unplugging the power board. Especially if any of the other devices are being used by other people.

I was browsing the internet when my connection dropped out completely because one of my housemates switched off the power board that the router was plugged into. They'd been using a lamp and I guess they couldn't be bothered reaching over to switch off the lamp when the power board was closer. Thanks.

Edit: before anyone asks: yes, it was the same housemate who accidentally unplugged the fridge the other month.
Old 15 April 2018, 03:00 AM

Does this housemate understand how electricity works? I.e. things have to be plugged in to work.
Old 15 April 2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Does this housemate understand how electricity works? I.e. things have to be plugged in to work.
Yeah but it looks like she struggles with the whole "Things that are already plugged in might be plugged in for a reason" concept.
Old 16 April 2018, 01:59 PM

United States

To all the candidates running for county council seats: you don't have to bother putting your party affiliation on your campaign literature/placards. Everybody knows there's only one party in this county! Save your printer ink.

ETA: President Trump, don't be surprised when someone you fired writes a tell-all book and goes on the talk show circuit. That person is no longer under your control and can tell the world what s/he really thinks of you.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 16 April 2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 16 April 2018, 03:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Yeah but it looks like she struggles with the whole "Things that are already plugged in might be plugged in for a reason" concept.
From your posts, I would say the issue is "things that I didn't plug in aren't important" selfishness.

Seaboe
Old 18 April 2018, 07:42 PM

Hey mister, revolving doors are a team effort. You don't get to stop pushing just cause I got in and started pushing along with you.

I really felt like stopping pushing and trapping him in there (briefly, I know.. he did know how to push).

Oh well, better than the giggling young woman that jumped into my quadrant of the revolving door. Um, no room for 2. Hadn't she ever seen a door like this before (she had at least once when entering the building)
Old 18 April 2018, 08:47 PM

Once a woman in front of me in a revolving door caught a glimpse of herself, apparently noticed a stray hair sticking up, and briefly stopped walking as she reached up to tidy it. Fortunately she realized her mistake almost immediately.
Old 19 April 2018, 03:19 PM

Glasses

Our facility has turnstiles. You put your badge against the sensor, the stile unlocks and you go through. Anyone who's ever used one knows that they are a one person at a time thing (not like a revolving door, where you can have one person per segment.

The other day, a coworker mentioned that someone tried to follow her through the turnstile. As in, pressed her badge against the sensor and tried to get into the segment behind my coworker--essentially trying to hurry the process. It didn't work, and it really irritated my coworker.

Seaboe
Old 19 April 2018, 05:18 PM

Jaded

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area, do not, I repeat, do not put 'sensitive plants' outside before the Ides of May! That would be the middle of next month. Mother's Day has long been used as a reference date for setting plants out/planting them in-ground and for good reason. If you absolutely positively have to put something out, make it plants that like cool weather such as pansies, lettuce, cauliflower or broccoli.
Ignore all those warm-weather plants at the garden centers--they ain't going anywhere.
Old 19 April 2018, 05:45 PM

I always push the date I put my tomatoes in as much as possible. If I can get them in two weeks earlier than the safe date, and the weather hold, I'll be eating tomatoes two weeks earlier in the summer. I can't get enough garden fresh tomatoes.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:18 PM

Beachlife!, that works well if you're prepared to either cover the plants if the weather turns cold, or to replant them if they die or get severely damaged, or to wind up without any tomatoes.

-- the traditional date around here for frost-tender crops was Memorial Day. That's the old Memorial Day, which wasn't tied to the weekend and always came on May 30 -- the current one can be nearly a week earlier. What goes out this time of year is, as DawnStorm said, peas and onions and spinach and so on, all of which can take some frost, especially when young.
Old 19 April 2018, 06:55 PM

We can get a hard frost, and even snow into May so its definitely a risk. I have plastics sheeting that I use if there is a frost freeze advisory. My fallback is replanting as not having tomatoes is not an option.

I always plant other vegetables too, but nothing gives me the enjoyment or success that tomatoes do. I've done well with herbs, but nothing else seems to work so well for me.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:15 AM

I've learned the hard way to never try and plant before Memorial Day.

Every time I've tried, I get bitten by a mid to late May cold snap.
Old 20 April 2018, 03:37 AM

The people who know these thing, in Michigan State University's agricultural department just across town from me, tell me I should wait until late May. In part because of frost and snow, but also because tomatoes like hot weather and the extra weeks probably won't buy me much.
Old 20 April 2018, 12:25 PM

This conversation makes me feel better about my hemming and hawwing of when to plant some seeds I've been hoarding. I keep thinking- it's late April now, surely I ought to... and then the temperature drops to near freezing again.
Old 20 April 2018, 05:38 PM

Theme Icon

I just bought some gunnera seeds on eBay recently and we're heading into the cooler Autumn weather here in Australia which is completely the wrong time of year to plant seeds but I couldn't wait so I planted them in some potting trays over a heated mat. If they actually sprout I'll be nursing them through the rest of Autumn and Winter indoors on the heated mat with a grow light.
Old 20 April 2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
The people who know these thing, in Michigan State University's agricultural department just across town from me, tell me I should wait until late May. In part because of frost and snow, but also because tomatoes like hot weather and the extra weeks probably won't buy me much.
Can you use a cold frame to get more out of the extra time, and lower the risk if the temperature falls? You can put the cold frame in a couple of weeks before the plants to get the soil warmed up, and then keep the plants a few degrees warmer until the weather warms up.
Old 21 April 2018, 02:53 AM

If your customer support email address just prompts an automatic email telling people to call your customer support phone line, why do you even have an email address?
Old 21 April 2018, 04:59 AM

They are phasing out email support and don't want emailed requests to just disappear into the aether?
Closed Thread