snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 16 June 2017, 01:56 PM

Icon13 MD Atty General: It's OK to ban toplessness at Ocean City

Article here.

Ban away for now! I don't have a problem with anyone going topless on any beach. It just doesn't bother me. Nothing I don't see everyday.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:34 PM

Can you imagine the horror of people seeing breasts?

I just hope they ban thong and Speedo type swimsuits along with toplessness. Those leave far too little to the imagination.
Old 16 June 2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Also in the statement, Worcester County State's Attorney Beau Oglesby said: "The Office of The Attorney General has provided me with a well-reasoned and comprehensive analysis of this legal question
With a name like that, you'd think he would have gone the other way.

Old 16 June 2017, 02:54 PM

Icon204

Ocean City is obsessed with preserving its family friendly image. Whether it actually has one is up for debate. Seems to me that the more you see a body part exposed, the more meh it becomes. YMMV.
Oglesby-- I didn't read the breast of the story.
Dfresh--my husband sees my breasts all the time and is not the least bit horrified.
Old 16 June 2017, 03:52 PM

It is a sorta family-friendly place, as long as you want to spend a lot of cash on food you really shouldn't eat. For just going to a beach with the kids, I prefer Cape Henlopen, since there is a lot less for the kids to want to buy there.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:16 PM

I wish more people considered that factor in rating the family-friendliness of places/activities.
Old 16 June 2017, 04:23 PM

I'm glad that someone appreciates my being cheap.
Old 16 June 2017, 06:41 PM

Single mom, unreliable child support. . .
Old 16 June 2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
The Office of The Attorney General has provided me with a well-reasoned and comprehensive analysis of this legal question
I wonder whether the comprehensive analysis included photos of small-breasted women and large-breasted men.

As in general with things in which there are average differences between men and women, there is also significant overlap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Seems to me that the more you see a body part exposed, the more meh it becomes.
Exactly.

People are routinely exposing body parts all over New Jersey that they would once have landed in jail for exposing.
Old 16 June 2017, 07:37 PM

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I wish more people considered that factor in rating the family-friendliness of places/activities.
Maybe that could be a Travelocity rating.
The last time I was at OC, I did not see the usual range of smutty/suggestive t-shirts. Maybe they were all in the back of the stores.
Kind of miss the Big Johnson t-shirts. I know, not family friendly.

Dawn--kid's gotta learn sometime!--Storm
Old 16 June 2017, 08:04 PM

Goes and looks in a mirror at self topless. Mirror shatters. Yep, won't go topless at beach.
Old 20 June 2017, 02:10 PM

Judge

Apparently the woman has hired a civil rights lawyer.
Now I do not have a problem with going topless on a beach, but I hardly think that its prohibition rises to the level of a civil rights violation.
Article here and yes it's safe for work.
Old 20 June 2017, 02:36 PM

There's a toplessness controversy brewing here over a local festival called ComFest (Community Festival).

Quote:
According to organizers, state liquor agents with the Ohio Investigative Unit have allegedly threatened to file charges against ComFest or shut down alcohol sales at the festival if topless women are allowed to attend and remain at the festival.

“Applying a strip-club regulation to a three-day political festival like ComFest in a public park is ridiculous and unconstitutional,” said Ed Forman, an attorney for ComFest, in a press release. “Female festival goers who uncover their breasts are exercising their First Amendment rights and ComFest cannot and will not remove them from the Festival [sic]. It is well established law that all genders may be topless in Goodale Park.”
Note that the permit for the festival requires organizers to maintain open public access to the park where it is held. IDK how they expect to be able to distinguish legally between a topless woman who is attending the festival vs. a (theoretical) topless woman who's just in the park for some other reason.
Old 20 June 2017, 02:43 PM

A name tag?

Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 20 June 2017, 03:51 PM

The AG doesn't get to decide what is, or is not, constitutional.
Quote:
The letter states, "It is our view that Maryland courts would hold that prohibiting women from exposing their breasts in public while allowing men to do so under the same circumstances does not violate the federal or state Constitution."
(emphasis added)

The link Lanie posted suggests that it might end up in court regardless of what the AG thinks.
Old 21 June 2017, 01:21 PM

New York State had this argument back in the 1990's, and decided that it is indeed legal for women to go topless anywhere that men can.

In most areas, however, it doesn't happen. Social strictures very often trump technical legality, in either direction. The socially-allowed but illegal will happen a lot. The legal but socially-condemned will happen rarely -- at least when there's no extremely strong need to defy the social stricture.
Old 21 June 2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
The link Lanie posted suggests that it might end up in court regardless of what the AG thinks.
To be clear, my link was about an event here in Columbus. And they came to a deal of some sort without going to court, so things will go forward as they have for 45+ years. Just a (stupid) tempest in a teapot, probably some ambitious jerk at the liquor control agency behind it.

ETA: I stand corrected -- it was resolved by a judge's order.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:22 PM

I believe the theory about why bare breasts are so bad is that the view of a woman will incite such lust in men that they can't control it.

However, see "Still Not Asking For It."
Old 22 June 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
New York State had this argument back in the 1990's, and decided that it is indeed legal for women to go topless anywhere that men can.

In most areas, however, it doesn't happen. Social strictures very often trump technical legality, in either direction. The socially-allowed but illegal will happen a lot. The legal but socially-condemned will happen rarely -- at least when there's no extremely strong need to defy the social stricture.
I remember in the 1990s when that ruling came out the morning drive-time DJs on the radio station I listened to on the way to school at the time were talking about it as if Central Park was now going to be full of topless women. Even as a teenager I realized that just because legally they can go topless doesn't mean they will.

Heck, until relatively recently San Francisco technically had no law against public nudity. Most people there still wore clothes (Although I think nudity may have been not entirely unheard of at things like gay pride parades. And there is a particular beach that has a reputation as San Francisco's unofficial clothing optional beach). Of course San Francisco's reputation for chilly weather means you'd probably want to wear clothes most of the time anyway.
Old 23 June 2017, 01:58 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Just a (stupid) tempest in a teapot...
Interesting choice of words, Lainie. Not long ago an all-female, mostly nude production of "the Tempest" was performed in Central Park, and later at Brooklyn's Prospect Park. Not on stages per se, but in fairly open public areas. (Full nudity is allowed in artistic productions in NYC.) I actually attended a portion of one of the Central Park shows - I was in town for a job interview.

Since the shows were endorsed by a local topfree rights group, several women in the audience took their tops off. The rest of the crowd, a fairly down-to-earth cross-section of NY population, seemed quite unfazed. The sponsoring group mentions similar lack of concern during most of their outings in area parks.

And yes, most women in New York do keep their shirts on.