snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 16 May 2017, 05:43 PM

Reading Introducing ... the Boobgasm!

That's a blurb on the cover of the current Cosmopolitan. For the briefest moment a part of my mind said "I know what that is" before a more rational part of my mind said "oh, wait - they probably mean a female orgasm."

Seriously, though, I'm amazed that magazines can continually regurgitate the same material over and over again, just by making up clever blurbs. I took a peek, and in addition to the earth-shattering news that nipples and breasts can be erogenous zones for a lot of people, the sex article included such little-known facts as kissing during sex can be pleasurable, and prolonged stimulation prior to release can make for stronger orgasms.
Old 16 May 2017, 08:16 PM

There's a reason Cosmo has such a lousy rep. Though the good news is that the article doesn't sound like it's going to actually result in injuries to people, unlike this
Old 16 May 2017, 11:02 PM

The only people I've ever known who read Cosmo are teenage girls, so that's possibly how they can keep repeating the same material: their audience grows up and abandons them every few years.
Old 16 May 2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
There's a reason Cosmo has such a lousy rep. Though the good news is that the article doesn't sound like it's going to actually result in injuries to people, unlike this
I definitely remember reading the #1 item on the list back in high school.
Old 17 May 2017, 12:51 PM

Icon22

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that on the cover the word "boobgasm" is in a silly font and the letters are not all lined up on the baseline, kind of like they're jiggling.
Old 18 May 2017, 06:47 PM

Icon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post

nipples and breasts can be erogenous zones for a lot of people, the sex article included such little-known facts as kissing during sex can be pleasurable, and prolonged stimulation prior to release can make for stronger orgasms.

No! You don't say!

I hear ya! I often wonder how this month's 20 Tips For Hotter Sex is different from last month's 15 Ways to Turn Him On Tonight. Their readers must have some serious dementia issues.

ETA: During last summer's Olympics, one of Cosmo's articles said something like: Sex from around the world! Giving new meaning to global warming. Some darn thing.
Old 19 May 2017, 01:21 PM

Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
No! You don't say!

I hear ya! I often wonder how this month's 20 Tips For Hotter Sex is different from last month's 15 Ways to Turn Him On Tonight.
Well, for one thing, the list in the former is five items longer! They must be the five hotter things that don't deal with turning him on - at least tonight.

I don't mean to pick on Cosmo, or even on sex articles generally. Had this not been a NFBSK topic, I would have posted it elsewhere. Many newsstand magazines do stuff like this. It's a manifestation of all media's need to present things that seem original, but include a great deal of familiar/comfortable content. (I used to teach media literacy; I know whence I speak.) I'm just surprised it keeps on working.
Old 24 May 2017, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that on the cover the word "boobgasm" is in a silly font and the letters are not all lined up on the baseline, kind of like they're jiggling.
Did they print it like "BOOBGASM"?
Old 24 May 2017, 01:09 PM

Icon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Did they print it like "BOOBGASM"?
More jiggly, like BoOBGASM - except not all on the line.

Your way would definitely have meant the way I first understood it.