snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 25 April 2017, 02:50 PM

For 7., something about who owns the rights? I seem to remember there is somebody who technically owns the rights to "The Internationale", although good luck with trying to claim royalities from the people in a Labour Day march...
Old 25 April 2017, 03:28 PM

Baseball For sure 1, maybe 2 more this week

1. WNBA? Never heard of the Houston Comets, and the WNBA is about the only big league that I know nothing about.

2. Salt lick

3. Having friends deployed to Cote d'Ivoire should give me some understanding of the region. However, I have no clue. I'm guessing Ghana and Guinea because they sound a bit the same.

4. Allegro?

5. I have no Scooby.

6. That would be, I believe, Rodney King. 25 years already!

7. All have a connection to a special operations military unit.
Old 26 April 2017, 04:18 PM

1. I think that's the WBNA.

2. Borax.

3. Ghana and Guinea?

4. No idea.

5. Don't know.

6. Guessing by the timing Rodney King.

7. Bill Murray has sung each in a movie.
Old 27 April 2017, 01:49 PM

Pope Pius XIII is The Young Pope, from the TV show of the same name..
Old 02 May 2017, 08:15 AM

Hello, all. Here we go with another round of Tuesday Trivia, courtesy of Ken Jennings. As per Mr. Jennings' request, question 7 is delayed one week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. The Houston Comets won the first four championships--a feat never since equaled--in the history of what sports organization?
The four-peat Comets folded in 2008, and are no longer part of the WNBA.

2. What's the common name for Na2B4O7·10H2O, a crystalline salt sometimes associated with mules?
Disodium tetraborate is better known as "borax" and is still a common laundry additive, among other uses. The most venerable brand of borax is called 20 Mule Team.

3. What two modern nations, separated by Cote d'Ivoire, may both take their names from the same West African medieval trading city?
Ghana and Guinea come from the older names "Ghanah" and "Genewah"--which may have been interchangeable, in some uses.

4. What tempo marking is famously used for the second movement of Samuel Barber's String Quarter in B Minor?
It's by far Barber's most famous composition, usually just called "Adagio for Strings," because it's to be played adiago.

5. Give the more famous epithet for His Holiness Pius XIII.
He's not a historical pontiff--he's HBO's The Young Pope! Wikipedia says Pius XIII is also the papal name for the pope targeted in the Chevy Chase-Goldie Hawn vehicle Foul Play. If true, this is huge for my Young Pope fanfic.

6. Stacey Koon, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind, and Theodore Briseno were the four men who went on trial in 1992 for an incident involving what man?
They were the cops in the Rodney King beating, whose definition of "reasonable force" probably held up better in the days before video cameras.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these songs? "The Ballad of the Green Berets," "The Bare Necessities," "Big Ole Brew," "Blow the Man Down, "Do Wah Diddy Diddy," "The Internationale," "More Than This," "Shelter from the Storm," "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding."
All these songs have been sung on the big screen by Mr. Bill Murray. Ironically, his biggest movie soundtrack hit was only ever sung by him on TV: "Star Wars: Main Title."

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The princess named Quispe Sisa had two children with what Spaniard, who had killed her brother Atahualpa?

2. What musician, whose songbook includes iconic songs about "the Wind," "the Hurricane," and "the Storm," released an acclaimed 2012 album called Tempest?

3. What movie star did Egypt ban in June 1956, when she converted to Judaism?

4. Eastern Michigan University is found in what city, whose unusual name comes from a hero of the Greek War of Independence?

5. In 1919, what iconic image famously appeared above the letters "L.H.O.O.Q."?

6. What two parts of your body are enclosed in membranes called meninges?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these novels? Bright Lights Big City, Ender's Game, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, The Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Kite Runner, The Lady in the Lake, A Little Princess, My Friend Flicka, A Separate Peace, Under the Volcano, The Waterworks.

Enjoy!
Old 02 May 2017, 11:20 AM

3. What movie star did Egypt ban in June 1956, when she converted to Judaism? Elizabeth Taylor?

6. What two parts of your body are enclosed in membranes called meninges? Brain and spinal chord.
Old 02 May 2017, 02:07 PM

1. The princess named Quispe Sisa had two children with what Spaniard, who had killed her brother Atahualpa? I think this is Cortez.
Old 02 May 2017, 02:23 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. The princess named Quispe Sisa had two children with what Spaniard, who had killed her brother Atahualpa?
Hernando Cortez, because that's the first name that came to mind.
Quote:

2. What musician, whose songbook includes iconic songs about "the Wind," "the Hurricane," and "the Storm," released an acclaimed 2012 album called Tempest?
Garth Brooks
Quote:

Barbara Streisand, which probably isn't right (I thought he was going to ask about Omar Sharif when it said "Egypt" and "ban")
Quote:

4. Eastern Michigan University is found in what city, whose unusual name comes from a hero of the Greek War of Independence?
Formerly known as Michigan State Normal College (my mom went there), in Ypsilanti.
Quote:

Uncle Sam. I don't know what that stands for, but it's clearly not Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco.
Quote:

Your brain and your heart.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these novels? Bright Lights Big City, Ender's Game, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, The Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Kite Runner, The Lady in the Lake, A Little Princess, My Friend Flicka, A Separate Peace, Under the Volcano, The Waterworks.
They all starred Shirley Temple (just kidding; she was only in A Little Princess, which was (AFAIK) her first color movie). Just throwing a few things out there, none of which is the actual answer, and some of which I might have wrong: Flowers for Algernon was on TV before it hit the big screen, 101 has been both animated and live action, Flicka starred Roddy McDowell and Elizabeth Taylor. I'm pretty sure the others were made into movies, too, but other than the fact that Fahrenheit 451 gave me nightmares, I know nothing about them.

Seaboe
Old 02 May 2017, 07:23 PM

Whalephant

#7- they started out as short stories/novellas? I know it's true for Flowers for Algernon and A Little Princess.
Old 02 May 2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
I know it's true for Flowers for Algernon and A Little Princess.
Definitely true for Ender's Game, and basically accurate for Fahrenheit 451.

I think you're probably right, or at least very close.
Old 02 May 2017, 09:05 PM

Baseball I might be 1 for 7 this week.

1. Sounds like a Conquistador, and the only one I can recall now is Cortez.

2. Billy Joel?

3. Marilyn Monroe?

4. Apollo?

5. Picture of the Paris Peace Talks?

6. Looks like it is related to meningitis. I'm going to say brain and spinal cord.

7. 451, 101 and Kite Runner all started as shorter works. May be true for the others.
Old 03 May 2017, 11:42 AM

Cortez?
Old 03 May 2017, 05:45 PM

Bang Head

Quote:

1. Pizarro? I believe he was the Inca killer.
2. Bob Dylan ("Blowin' in the Wind", "The Hurricane",
"Shelter from the Storm")

3. Marilyn Monroe? As in, she married Arthur Miller around that year?
4. Ypsilanti
5. I don't know
6. Brain and spinal cord
7. I read most of them in high school, still don't know.
Old 03 May 2017, 07:07 PM

Glasses

I'm quite surprised by how difficult #4 is turning out to be for folks.

Seaboe
Old 03 May 2017, 11:32 PM

Baseball

I looked up some questions afterwards, and I knew I got one right, and one I thought was right was wrong, and one where I guessed outright (because I know little of that era) and was correct.

But number 4 was a guess that was way off.
Old 04 May 2017, 02:18 AM

1. The princess named Quispe Sisa had two children with what Spaniard, who had killed her brother Atahualpa? WAG - Cortes?

2. What musician, whose songbook includes iconic songs about "the Wind," "the Hurricane," and "the Storm," released an acclaimed 2012 album called Tempest? Bob Dylan

4. Eastern Michigan University is found in what city, whose unusual name comes from a hero of the Greek War of Independence? I think that's Ypsilanti

6. What two parts of your body are enclosed in membranes called meninges? Brain and spinal cord

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these novels? Bright Lights Big City, Ender's Game, Fahrenheit 451, Flowers for Algernon, The Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Kite Runner, The Lady in the Lake, A Little Princess, My Friend Flicka, A Separate Peace, Under the Volcano, The Waterworks.Began as an earlier published short story? (I know this is true for a couple of them, but I don't know if it works for all.)
Old 04 May 2017, 07:38 PM

1. Pizarro.

2. Bob Dylan.

3. Don't know.

4. Ypsilanti.

5. Don't know.

6. Brain and spinal cord.

7. They all began as serialized works, eventually re-compiled into a single work.
Old 09 May 2017, 08:16 AM

Happy Tuesday to you all. Ken Jennings writes:
Hey gang, I'm Ken and this is Tuesday Trivia #565. After writing so many of these damn things, I'm really starting to get the hang of it. This one is our best quiz yet. The previous five hundred and sixty-four were all just leading up...to this moment.

So here we go with ...

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

Francisco Pizarro, conqueror of the Incas. Yeah, the conquistadors were every bit as gross as you probably think they were.

That 2012 album (inspired by the tempest-free sinking of the Titanic) was by Bob Dylan, author of "Blowin' in the Wind," "The Hurricane," and "Shelter from the Storm."

Marilyn Monroe converted in 1956 to marry playwright Arthur Miller. This was very unpopular with Egyptians, but who do they think they are to stand in the way of true love?

Without Demetrios Ypsilantis, there would be no Ypsilanti. It would still be called "Woodruff's Grove."

Marcel Duchamp's L.H.O.O.Q. is his borrowing of the Mona Lisa--but with a mustache and a goatee. (The five letters are, phonetically, a dirty pun in French.)

The meninges, which get infection in patients with meningitis, surround the brain and spinal cord.

All these novels were expanded from earlier short stories by the same author. Why is this so much more common in science fiction that any other genre? I dumped so many sci-fi classics (including Dune and 2001) from this list to make it more diverse.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Architect Philip Johnson died in 2005 in his famous house made of what material?

2. What elementary particles are named for the fact that they hold quarks together to form protons and neutrons?

3. What city was the most recent--and the only one in the last fifty years--to have a king open its Summer Olympics?

4. What show has been hosted by mandolinist Chris Thile since its creator retired in 2016 after forty-two years?

5. According to Bernardino de Sahagún, Mexican "pozole" stew was originally made using what kind of meat?

6. What are the iconic last three words of the July 1896 speech that includes the line, "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these countries, listed in this order? The United States, the Soviet Union, the Soviet Union, Russia, Russia, Bulgaria, India, Norway.

Enjoy!
Old 09 May 2017, 09:09 AM

2. What elementary particles are named for the fact that they hold quarks together to form protons and neutrons?

Gluons
Old 09 May 2017, 01:26 PM

4. What show has been hosted by mandolinist Chris Thile since its creator retired in 2016 after forty-two years? Prairie Home Companion.

6. What are the iconic last three words of the July 1896 speech that includes the line, "You shall not press down upon the brow of labor this crown of thorns"? Cross of Gold.