snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 06 April 2017, 02:34 PM

Icon24 Pepsi Pulls Controversial Kendall Jenner Ad After Outcry

If the Black Lives Matter movement were led by a 21-year-old white supermodel armed with a can of fizzy soda, then maybe everyone would just get along.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/p...-anger-n742811
Old 06 April 2017, 04:13 PM

If Pepsi didn't want to make light of a serious subject, they should have 1) not made the protest look like a street festival and 2) maybe skip all the flirtatious glances between Jenner and various attractive young men.
Old 06 April 2017, 04:47 PM

I agree that it makes protests look like fun and games and also with Lainies's comment, but this does not seem anything like or even referencing the BLM.
Old 06 April 2017, 04:50 PM

Some people have found the way she approaches the police officer to be reminiscent of a particular photo from a BLM protest: an African-American woman in a maxi dress approaching several cops in riot gear.
Old 06 April 2017, 05:08 PM

Also, BLM has been the most visible protest movement in the country for the last few years. Unless Pepsi had taken steps to make sure that it didn't look like BLM, comparisons were inevitable.
Old 06 April 2017, 05:21 PM

Well, I only saw the parts of the ad that were in the news report, but to start with almost everyone is white. That is a problem itself, but anyway. And to my mind, any reference to a protest or march that is promoting tolerance, harmony, and respect in 2017 is any of the anti-Trump, unity, or women's marches more than BLM.

Also, again only from what I saw, it doe snot seem that there is unrest and she gives everyone a Pepsi and then there is no more unrest. She joins in, they already have the Pepsi.

In any case, thank you both for the responses and information.
Old 07 April 2017, 01:33 AM

Australia

If you watch it there are a number of clearly token nods to diversity but the whole thing is tone deaf to the point of parody.

I didn't think of BLM specifically I also thought of the Occupy protests and the women's marches, and anti-trump and a whole bunch of other protests. All of which have a real beating, bleeding heart to them, protests which were outbursts of genuine anger and grief and fear for the future and the lives of the most vulnerable. Instead they showed a bland, bloodless, corporate sanitised "protest' by a bunch of mostly white young people holding signs of "love" and peace and conversation, and ultimately represented by a bland, bloodless, sanitised, corporate creation whose journey is to effectively go from one photo op to another and to shill for fizzy drink while doing so.

Ugh

Dropbear
Old 07 April 2017, 01:51 AM

Here's the full commercial. I wouldn't say "almost all the people were white" by any stretch of the imagination:

FULL HD Pepsi Ad Commercial with Kendall Jenner
Old 07 April 2017, 02:17 AM

Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Here's the full commercial. I wouldn't say "almost all the people were white" by any stretch of the imagination
Hmmn - true - on second viewing there is more diversity than I gave it credit for.
Old 07 April 2017, 02:30 AM

I just don't understand what they meant to say, but there's all these people doing a great thing and Kendal Jenner is needed for what? Why didn't she just join them? Instead she's gotta show them what they really need (which is giving a cop a Pepsi???)

Why are they all looking at her like she did some heroic act that they couldn't do or even think of doing? Why were there cops there? Why were they in semi-riot gear? What would they have done if she didn't give one of them a Pepsi? How did she know which one to give the Pepsi to? And most of all how was it the Photographer had what appeared to be photographer's block and a picture of a C celebrity giving a Pepsi to a cop was the inspiration she needed?
Old 07 April 2017, 02:05 PM

I also noticed the complete lack of diversity in age or body type.
Old 07 April 2017, 02:46 PM

I haven't seen the commercial but assumed it was a nod back in time to their most famous one with the "I want to teach the world to sing" song. A way to try and call for peace ( and sell pepsi) I don't remember there being a negative reaction to the original commercial but the world has changed so much I guess it's not surprising that there would be more cynicism now.
Old 07 April 2017, 02:49 PM

It's not anything like the coke commercial you are referring to.
Old 07 April 2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
It's not anything like the coke commercial you are referring to.
Was that old one for coke!? I completely got that one wrong then .
Old 07 April 2017, 02:57 PM

Yes. And as Beach says, the two ads are nothing alike, except that they're both ad for colas. And I can't imagine the original Coke ad getting anything like the response this one is, even now. In fact, didn't they do a re-issue of it a few years back?
Old 07 April 2017, 03:05 PM

Dr John Jewell, of Cardiff University, who teaches on advertising, propaganda and political communication, sees a direct connection between the two rivals back again the other way, directly tracing the new Pepsi ad to Coke’s 1971 spot. “What Pepsi was doing was seeking to show its social responsibility. It’s classic cause-related marketing, because in aligning itself with good causes, it boosts sales and brand loyalty.”

https://www.theguardian.com/business...co-opt-protest

Glad to see I am not the only one who noticed a connection after all (even if I mixed up coke and pepsi - sacrilege to those who favour one over the other!). Although it sounds like I was wrong about the ad not playing well not due to a more cynical age - the ad itself just sucked.
Old 07 April 2017, 03:31 PM

Yeah, if Pepsi was trying to do what Coke did, they really got it wrong.
Old 07 April 2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Here's the full commercial.
-- protests are all about conventionally pretty young people dancing sexily??
Old 07 April 2017, 08:37 PM

Didn't Pepsi say it was supposed to have universal appeal? It seems to be appealing to the same people who are interested in the lives of vapid, affluent white people. I know there is a surprisingly high viewership of such shows, but is that really anything like a universal appeal.
Old 07 April 2017, 09:04 PM

Spit Take Stephen Takes On Kendall Jenner's 'Attractive Lives Matter' Pepsi Ad

... among other things.

~Psihala