snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Horrors

Old 18 August 2015, 10:59 PM

Default The Smiling Man

If we're doing creepy, has anyone done the smiling man yet? I'm going to enclose the link to the Reddit "let's not meet" page where this story appears.
The person writing the tale has an encounter with a scary, smiling man. I won't repost the whole story - you can click the link and read his version for yourself.
https://www.reddit.com/comments/rvzaq/the_smiling_man/
Old 07 January 2016, 08:52 AM

Skeptoid did an episode if it's the same guy as The Grinning Man (and it appears to be just from sight).

ETA: The Smiling Man, The Grinning Man, The Gentleman (from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Joker are all the same trope of a tall man who smiles far too widely. It's the sheer image of it that unnerves people, they never have to say a thing, just....smile. Seriously, go out and try it yourself, smile just a bit to widely at people and they'll avoid you like a plague, it's something in our lizard brains that makes us want to run.

Then again, if I saw Joker on the street smiling...I would probably run as well...very, very fast.