snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 09 February 2015, 03:52 AM

Wolf

Richard W, those pictres are wonderful. I was wondering, are foxes in the UK becoming more of an urban/suburban critter? I don't think you would see foxes hanging out so close to houses here in the US. (Coyotes, on the other hand, just seem to move in anywhere these days.)
Old 09 February 2015, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Richard W, those pictres are wonderful. I was wondering, are foxes in the UK becoming more of an urban/suburban critter? I don't think you would see foxes hanging out so close to houses here in the US. (Coyotes, on the other hand, just seem to move in anywhere these days.)
We have foxes in our neighborhood. Unfortunately I never see them when I have my camera handy... But I watched one jump over a neighbor's fence into their backyard one time. Another neighbor came home late at night & scared off 2 foxes that had a stray cat cornered in her driveway. (a couple of weeks later, that stray cat became mine!) And, not my neighborhood, but just about a week ago I saw a fox run across the street from a school & run between a couple of houses. They're all over in our city.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:53 AM

For years it was fairly common to see foxes in one particular neighborhood of my hometown. It was a built-up neighborhood, but there was a large wooded area there. Then they built a middle school on that land.
Old 09 February 2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
Richard W, those pictres are wonderful. I was wondering, are foxes in the UK becoming more of an urban/suburban critter?
Thanks! I've posted some of those fox photos here before. Yes, definitely, foxes are very urban / suburban - although this is a leafy area and as well as a couple of patches of waste ground and the trees on a railway embankment, I live quite close to fields and woodland too. My parents are further from any open countryside but their area has a lot of big gardens and one or two more open patches nearby as well.

The fox in my first photo was sitting right by the pavement on a fairly busy road, waiting for a gap in the traffic to cross. (It made it).

I think he or she was a little bothered by passers-by, but young foxes seem to be pretty tame at that time of year. In that photo of the fox in my parents' garden, half my extended family were standing around looking at her from the other side of a small pond...

She's not quite as relaxed as she looks in my first photo, I think, but she put up with it. Later she stole one of the children's balls.

Here's the rat photo I mentioned - I seem to have only had copies on my work computer:

There were actually two rats in the bin but I'm pretty sure you can only see one of them in that picture - if anybody can spot the other, they get a prize.

When we were in our old office, I used to walk to work through the woods, and as well as foxes I used to see deer (fallow and muntjac) and badgers, as well as lots of red kites and other birds, and some impressive pike in the river cut. (Those were stocked, I think, rather than wild). I took some photos of a muntjac once but now I can't find them. I did find this one of a squirrel which is OK:

And a red-legged partridge in the field behind the old office:

I'm not a good enough photographer to get the red kites properly, but they're pretty spectacular - if Jay Tea were still posting I'm sure he'd post some fantastic examples.

(eta) I've made the spider's web video public on Facebook here:

Spider web

And talking of kites, when I went to Mongolia in 2007, one thing that I found incredible was watching dozens of kites wheeling about the sky above the steppes on the edge of the Gobi desert. I took a video of those, thinking that it really illustrated that I was not in England and that you'd never see something like that in the UK - I still thought red kites were very rare and lived only in a few remote parts of Wales. I didn't know about the Chiltern re-introduction programme. Now I can literally see the same thing from outside my flat at times. When they come together for their mating rituals in the spring, I've counted 24 at once I think, just to the north of here. I saw about 13 of them getting some early practice in over my road last month. If you go outside and look up, it's almost more unusual not to see kites than to see them, here. And when they're en masse they're amazing.

Last edited by Richard W; 09 February 2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09 February 2015, 11:45 PM

There was a fox family living behind my mother's church in Lexington KY last summer. My mother took a picture of the vixen (it's kind of grainy):
https://plus.google.com/photos/10335...40908712928462

The first wildlife picture I took was from the great rat invasion of '78 in Kentucky:https://plus.google.com/photos/10335...40908712928462
Old 10 February 2015, 02:14 PM

This is the chipmunk that visited us a while ago. The pic isn't very clear because I had to take it through a screen door. I was afraid that it would scare the little guy away if I opened the door to get a better pic.

And the groundhog...

And the opossum...

A squirrel on our "guaranteed squirrel-proof" bird feeder...

A sacked-out squirrel... This one is Friendly, the nearly tame squirrel we had living in our back yard for a few years.

I didn't get any pics of the turtles, the skunk, the raccoon, or the deer.
Old 10 February 2015, 02:26 PM

An injured falcon that found her way to our yard. Unfortunately, the rehabber we took her to couldn't save her.

And it turns out I did get a pic of one of the turtles that somehow got into our yard. We put him in a bucket to take him to a nearby river.

And to the birders here at snopes... this gorgeous blue bird was in our yard a few years ago. I'm not sure what it is, and as with the chipmunk I had to take the pictures through the screen door for fear of scaring it away. Any idea what it is?

Old 10 February 2015, 05:15 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
And to the birders here at snopes... this gorgeous blue bird was in our yard a few years ago. I'm not sure what it is, and as with the chipmunk I had to take the pictures through the screen door for fear of scaring it away. Any idea what it is?
It's an Indigo Bunting. I've only seen one in person, back around 1987 or so.
Old 10 February 2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
We have foxes in our neighborhood.
Shoot, they live downtown.

I still remember a photo the Denver Post shared a few years ago of a guy in a downtown condo who looked down at the street and saw two red foxes sitting on the hood of a car one cold morning. He got several shots of them.

I used to live in Five Points (highly urban neighborhood right next to central downtown) and saw a silver-phase red fox crossing my street to go into the park.
Old 24 February 2015, 11:52 AM

Australia

I found this little feller climbing on me:

Of course he leapt off before I could get my phone camera ready and in the end I had to pick him up and put him back on my arm 6 times before I got that shot.

http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/austra...codamidae.html
Old 24 February 2015, 01:12 PM

That's an Australian spider crawling on you and you're still alive?????
Old 24 February 2015, 04:16 PM

Confused spider: "Usually they want me to fall off!"
Old 25 February 2015, 05:46 PM

Chicken

Not technically my backyard, but I came across these wild turkeys on my morning bike ride. In my old apartment we would get turkeys hanging out in the parking lot all the time, so this still counts I think.

This was the only shot I managed to get with the male's tail fully fanned out. I wish I'd zoomed in more, but there was so much glare on my screen I could barely see what I was photographing.

Old 28 February 2015, 09:09 PM

This guy was in my backyard this morning. Unfortunately, by the time I got my camera he moved to my neighbor's tree, so I couldn't get close enough to get a better picture. Black and white speckled wings, and really bright red on the top of his head. I'm guessing some sort of woodpecker.

Old 01 March 2015, 11:47 AM

Looks like a downy woodpecker to me.
Old 02 March 2015, 12:51 AM

After a little more research yesterday I was thinking Nuttall's woodpecker.
Old 04 March 2015, 07:09 PM

Again, this is stretching the definition of "back yard" but here's a tiny mouse I saw on the platform at Paddington tube station on Saturday. It's quite common to see mice in the track bed, but less so on the platforms.

(I would have got a better photo but he kept popping out from under the door and running away again as people walked past. By the time I had my camera ready and the mouse had decided it was safe to come out again, the train was pulling into the station and the mouse only got as far out as this before running back behind the door. I wasn't even sure I'd caught it at all but my split-second timing was just right.)
Old 06 March 2015, 11:46 PM

Not my backyard, but the nearby park had a peacock perched in a pine tree this afternoon:

Old 06 March 2015, 11:47 PM

What a perfect park pine tree peacock picture!
Old 07 March 2015, 05:01 AM

Cervus, so have peafowl gone feral in Florida, like so many other imported species? Oh, and nice picture!