snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 13 May 2014, 01:10 PM

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"? Hydrangea?

2. In March, what two actors became the first father-and-son team ever to win Razzies for their appearance in the same movie?
Quote:
Will and Jayden Smith?
6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia? The Ottoman Empire?

Not a good week for me!
Old 13 May 2014, 02:27 PM

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"?

Hydrenga?

2. In March, what two actors became the first father-and-son team ever to win Razzies for their appearance in the same movie?

Will and Jaden Smith.

3. Last weekend, Adam Scott of Australia had the chance to take over the world #1 ranking in what sport from its injured holder?

Golf.

4. The River Liffey is a minor waterway, only 75 miles long, but it's well-known for passing through what national capital?

Dublin, Ireland.

5. After a 105-year-run, McCall's magazine ceased publication in 2002 after a year of being renamed for what TV personality, its new editorial director?

Rosie O'Donnell.

6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia?

Ottoman Empire?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents, and no others? Taylor, Pierce, Buchanan, Benjamin Harrison, Wilson, Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Carter, Clinton.

Each was embroiled in scandal involving a cigar and a blue dress.
Old 13 May 2014, 02:53 PM

Baseball

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised he didn't list all of the different teams in his answer. The only one I can add to his list is that the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes used to be the Winnipeg Jets. When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg a couple seasons ago, they took the old team name.
I think the Jets was his point. The Coyotes were the Jets, just like the current Brewers were the Orioles.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"? No clue. Never really knew much Greek.

2. In March, what two actors became the first father-and-son team ever to win Razzies for their appearance in the same movie? Only father son combo I can think of are the Douglas' family. Don't think it was them.

3. Last weekend, Adam Scott of Australia had the chance to take over the world #1 ranking in what sport from its injured holder? Number 1. Must be tennis.

4. The River Liffey is a minor waterway, only 75 miles long, but it's well-known for passing through what national capital? Dublin.

5. After a 105-year-run, McCall's magazine ceased publication in 2002 after a year of being renamed for what TV personality, its new editorial director? Oprah

6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia? The Ottoman Empire. (at least one I know)

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents, and no others? Taylor, Pierce, Buchanan, Benjamin Harrison, Wilson, Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Carter, Clinton. The First Lady created foundations that bordered on presidential proclamation.
Old 13 May 2014, 03:15 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"?
Hydrangea ETA: I have three of these, and I confess I don't get the connection between the shape of the flowers and a water vessel.
Quote:

Will and Jaden Smith
Quote:

3. Last weekend, Adam Scott of Australia had the chance to take over the world #1 ranking in what sport from its injured holder?
speed skating
Quote:

4. The River Liffey is a minor waterway, only 75 miles long, but it's well-known for passing through what national capital?
Budapest
Quote:

5. After a 105-year-run, McCall's magazine ceased publication in 2002 after a year of being renamed for what TV personality, its new editorial director?
Rosie O'Donnell
Quote:

6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia?
Prussia
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents, and no others? Taylor, Pierce, Buchanan, Benjamin Harrison, Wilson, Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Carter, Clinton.
They were all underdogs.

Seaboe
Old 13 May 2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I think the Jets was his point. The Coyotes were the Jets, just like the current Brewers were the Orioles.
I realize that. I was just saying he didn't list all the former team names that are now being used by someone else. I added this one because it wasn't on his list. He also didn't list the former team names of Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees or Philadelphia Phillies.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:29 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
I realize that. I was just saying he didn't list all the former team names that are now being used by someone else. I added this one because it wasn't on his list. He also didn't list the former team names of Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees or Philadelphia Phillies.
Got it. Apologies. I thought you were going for an "he missed another example" approach.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
speed skating

Budapest

Seaboe
LOL! The correct answers are golf and Dublin.
Old 13 May 2014, 04:37 PM

The NY Jets were once the Titans, which is now used by the Tennessee Titans; the Twins were once the Washington Nationals; the Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles; the only former name I find for the Phillies is the Quakers, so I'm not sure what's up with that one.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:11 PM

Shouldn't he have included the Baltimore Ravens / Cleveland Browns?
Old 13 May 2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
The NY Jets were once the Titans, which is now used by the Tennessee Titans; the Twins were once the Washington Nationals; the Yankees were once the Baltimore Orioles; the only former name I find for the Phillies is the Quakers, so I'm not sure what's up with that one.
With regard to the Phillies, wiki says:

Quote:
The new owner, Bob Carpenter, Jr., scion of the Delaware-based DuPont family, tried to polish the team's image by unofficially changing its name to the "Bluejays". However, the new moniker did not take, and it was quietly dropped by 1949.
Perhaps that's to what he's referring.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
Yes, I think so, since he said "and no others."

And an unofficial name change seems like a stretch for the Phillies.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan The Man View Post
I believe the Ravens are technically not considered to be the continuation of the Cleveland Browns franchise by the NFL. All of the old Cleveland Browns history stays with the new Cleveland Browns, the Ravens only get the history from their years as the Baltimore Ravens (and none of the history of the Baltimore Colts, the Indianapolis Colts still have that). Yes, it's strange.
Old 13 May 2014, 05:39 PM

rujasu, yeah, that must be why he left them off. But, regardless of which current team "gets" the history and records, the Baltimore Ravens were once the Cleveland Browns and there's a new Cleveland Browns now. So, In MY opinion, they should have been included.
Old 13 May 2014, 07:10 PM

I understand what you're saying, but technically that's incorrect. Legally and officially, the Cleveland Browns went on hiatus for a few years while the previous Browns ownership created a new expansion team in Baltimore with all of the players from the previous Browns team. So, officially speaking, the Ravens were not formerly the Cleveland Browns, they're a new team, and the current Cleveland Browns are not an expansion team, they just took a break and got all new owners, coaches, and players.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...a-stadium-plan
Old 20 May 2014, 12:34 PM

Greetings, all. Here are the answers to last week's questions and this week's new ones for us all to ponder. As always, the question 7 is delayed a week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"? "Hydrangea" comes from the same watery Greek root as "hydrant" and words like that. Hail Hydrangea.

2. In March, what two actors became the first father-and-son team ever to win Razzies for their appearance in the same movie? Will and Jaden Smith, for their unforgettable work in...uh. Hold on. I genuinely just had to Google this, no lie. After Earth.

3. Last weekend, Adam Scott of Australia had the chance to take over the world #1 ranking in what sport from its injured holder? Scott was one of three golfers who could have taken over Tiger Woods's #1 spot...but none of them performed quite well enough at the Players Championship. But this week, Scott was able to pass Woods without even picking up a club.

4. The River Liffey is a minor waterway, only 75 miles long, but it's well-known for passing through what national capital? Dublin. Riverrun.

5. After a 105-year-run, McCall's magazine ceased publication in 2002 after a year of being renamed for what TV personality, its new editorial director? McCall's was briefly named "Rosie" during its ignominious final year.

6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia? Before the British or French were even on the board, the Russians were fighting the Ottoman Empire over the Crimea.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents, and no others? Taylor, Pierce, Buchanan, Benjamin Harrison, Wilson, Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Carter, Clinton. These are the only presidents from their respective home state. (Not "state of birth"--Obama was born in Hawaii (ALLEGEDLY!!!) but his state of residence when he ran for the presidency was Illinois, so he doesn't make the list.)

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What country's current president, Michael Martelly, became famous there in the 1990s as Sweet Micky, a popular "compas" musician?

2. What television actor, best known for a 1960s role, released his own fragrance line last year, "Eau My"?

3. What word for a halogen salt can also refer to a boring cliche, because it was once a common ingredient in sedatives?

4. Or, gules, vert, and purpure are among the colors used in what art form and field of study?

5. The chorus of Mack Rice's biggest hit song, later made famous by Wilson Pickett, incidentally includes the name of what future astronaut?

6. What best-selling 2012 novel begins with the disappearance of Amy Dunne from her new hometown, North Carthage, Missouri?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Eubie Blake, Gordon Brown, Tim Daly, Langston Hughes, Hugh Laurie, Paul McCartney, Tim McCarver, David Niven, Dan Quayle, Strom Thurmond.
Old 20 May 2014, 01:13 PM

1. What country's current president, Michael Martelly, became famous there in the 1990s as Sweet Micky, a popular "compas" musician?

No idea.

2. What television actor, best known for a 1960s role, released his own fragrance line last year, "Eau My"?

George Takei!

3. What word for a halogen salt can also refer to a boring cliche, because it was once a common ingredient in sedatives?

Bromide.

4. Or, gules, vert, and purpure are among the colors used in what art form and field of study?

Heraldry.

5. The chorus of Mack Rice's biggest hit song, later made famous by Wilson Pickett, incidentally includes the name of what future astronaut?

Sally Ride.

6. What best-selling 2012 novel begins with the disappearance of Amy Dunne from her new hometown, North Carthage, Missouri?

No idea.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these famous people? Eubie Blake, Gordon Brown, Tim Daly, Langston Hughes, Hugh Laurie, Paul McCartney, Tim McCarver, David Niven, Dan Quayle, Strom Thurmond.

Er ... they've all voiced Superman in the animated series? Yeah, I got nothing.
Old 20 May 2014, 01:14 PM

2. George Takei
3. Anodyne -- on second thought, I think Chillas is right
4. Sally Ride ("ride, Sally, ride")
5. Gone Girl

ETA: Quayle uses his middle name, or rather a diminutive of it (John [?] Danforth Quayle)
Old 20 May 2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: Quayle uses his middle name, or rather a diminutive of it (John [?] Danforth Quayle)
D'oh! You got it. It's James. Also, James Timothy Daly and James Hugh Calum Laurie, and James Mercer Langston Hughes, to include the ones I know. So I guess the answer is, they're all actually named James.
Old 20 May 2014, 01:26 PM

Hijackably, I just learned a couple years ago that Tim Daly is Tyne Daly's brother.
Old 20 May 2014, 03:17 PM

1. Jamaica
6. Dunne Gone
Closed Thread