snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Closed Thread

Old 29 April 2014, 12:35 PM

Default Ken Jennings trivia

Hello, all. The old thread is closed, so I figured I'd start a new one for the latest round. I'll make sure I post the right questions this week.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. What's the more common name for the biblical practice of lapidation, experienced by Naboth in 1 Kings 21 and Stephen in Acts 6? Naboth and Stephen were victims of stoning. Everybody must get stoned.

2. Which historic county of England has a white rose on its flag? In the War of the Roses, the white rose represented the House of York, and it's still found on the flag of Yorkshire.

3. Because the Packers were playing the Steelers, Super Bowl XLV, in 2011, was the first Super Bowl in at least four decades not to feature what? Six NFL teams, from cold-weather cities, don't have cheerleaders: the Bears, the Giants, the Steelers, the Browns, the Packers and the Lions.

4. There are two world heads of state who were also prime ministers of their respective countries before beginning their current term as president. Name either one. To satisfy a pesky constitutional requirement, Vladimir Putin got demoted to Prime Minister of Russia between his two terms as president. (We also accepted Mahinda Rajapaksa, president of Sri Lanka, but now we KNOW you're cheating.)

5. A medical therapy called CPAP is used to help patients do what? Breathe. A CPAP machine is one of those continuous air pumps often prescribed for sleep apnea.

6. The world's three largest luxury automakers are all headquartered in what country? Germany. The order changes from time to time, but in recent years, the list has gone BMW, Audi, Mercedes.

... and from the previous week:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these songs? "Long Black Veil" by The Band, "Golden Hours" by Brian Eno, "Grey Seal" by Elton John, "Little Green" by Joni Mitchell, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" by Willie Nelson, "White" by Frank Ocean, "Computer Blue" by Prince, "Orange Crush" by REM, "Pink Thing" by XTC, and (sort of) "Blackbird" by the Beatles. Obviously they each have a color in the title, but they're also each found on an album with a *different* color in its title. Respectively: Music from Big Pink, Another Green World, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Blue, Red Headed Stranger, Channel Orange, Purple Rain, Green, Oranges and Lemons, and "The White Album" (which is called The Beatles, strictly speaking). This list took a while to put together...did I miss any good candidates?

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What geographic name comes from Sanskrit words meaning "abode of snow"?

2. What possession do the Beatles sing about buying for their girl in two #1 hits of 1964, "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Feel Fine"?

3. Five of the six men who raised the famous flag over Iwo Jima were members of which branch of the U.S. Armed Forces?

4. Florin and Guilder, the two countries in The Princess Bride, are also names for types of what?

5. Protium is the only stable isotope in the known universe that does not contain what type of sub-atomic particle?

6. The lyric drama form called zarzuela originated in what country?

... and last week's question 7 (which got a sneak preview):

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos.

Have at it!
Old 29 April 2014, 01:20 PM

1. What geographic name comes from Sanskrit words meaning "abode of snow"? WAG - Himalaya?

2. What possession do the Beatles sing about buying for their girl in two #1 hits of 1964, "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Feel Fine"? A diamond ring?

3. Five of the six men who raised the famous flag over Iwo Jima were members of which branch of the U.S. Armed Forces? Marines?

4. Florin and Guilder, the two countries in The Princess Bride, are also names for types of what? Coin/currency?

5. Protium is the only stable isotope in the known universe that does not contain what type of sub-atomic particle? Neutron?

6. The lyric drama form called zarzuela originated in what country? WAG - Brazil?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos.
Death of a central character in the finale?
Old 29 April 2014, 02:15 PM

Himalaya?

2. What possession do the Beatles sing about buying for their girl in two #1 hits of 1964, "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Feel Fine"?

Diamond ring.

3. Five of the six men who raised the famous flag over Iwo Jima were members of which branch of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Marines?

4. Florin and Guilder, the two countries in The Princess Bride, are also names for types of what?

Currency.

5. Protium is the only stable isotope in the known universe that does not contain what type of sub-atomic particle?

Neutron.

Spain?

The death of a titular character?
Old 29 April 2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
himilayas

Quote:
diamond ring?

Quote:
USMC-the sixth was a USN corpsman

Quote:
money-coins

Quote:
atoms?

Quote:
Hungary
Old 29 April 2014, 03:05 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Nepal
Quote:

car
Quote:

Marines
Quote:

Money, money, money, mon eeeeee (with vague apologies to whoever wrote that song)
Quote:

neutrons (going with my first impulse, even though I suspect the name holds the answer)
Quote:

Venezuela
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos

Still going with the primary character dies, despite knowing it's wrong.

Seaboe
Old 29 April 2014, 03:12 PM

For #7, could it be main character dies in the last episode? That explains the "maybe" for the Sopranos. Does that work for Lost, though? Didn't they all [spoiler alert] die in the first episode? (I still don't know WTF happened in Lost.).
Old 29 April 2014, 03:23 PM

In Roseanne, IIRC, nobody dies in the last episode, but it's revealed for the first time that a main character had died in an earlier episode
Old 29 April 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Madeline View Post
For #7...
Buffy doesn't die in the "Chosen," the series finale.
Old 29 April 2014, 03:34 PM

Several people have said neutron but it can't be that as hydrogen has no neutrons but it is a stable isotope*.

*IMS, all molecules are isotopes, not just the variations with more or less neutrons than the most common variety for that element. But they may be using a definition where only the variations are isotopes.
Old 29 April 2014, 04:12 PM

Baseball 2 of 7 this week

1. What geographic name comes from Sanskrit words meaning "abode of snow"? Sanskrit for igloo - must be Nepal.

2. What possession do the Beatles sing about buying for their girl in two #1 hits of 1964, "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Feel Fine"? Can't buy me love, but I can buy a diamond ring.

3. Five of the six men who raised the famous flag over Iwo Jima were members of which branch of the U.S. Armed Forces? The land branch of the Navy (ie Marines)

4. Florin and Guilder, the two countries in The Princess Bride, are also names for types of what? I have some in my collection. They are types of money.
5. Protium is the only stable iso
tope in the known universe that does not contain what type of sub-atomic particle? I have no idea about atoms parts and pieces. The only name I know is Higgs Boson. And I have no clue what that is.

6. The lyric drama form called zarzuela originated in what country? Like the horn with the similar sounding name, I say South Africa.... and last week's question 7 (which got a sneak preview):

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos. They all ended with a finale while still having an offer for further seasons given to them.
Old 29 April 2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post

Several people have said neutron but it can't be that as hydrogen has no neutrons but it is a stable isotope*.

*IMS, all molecules are isotopes, not just the variations with more or less neutrons than the most common variety for that element. But they may be using a definition where only the variations are isotopes.

This one is sort of a trick. Hydrogen has three natural isotopes, atomic weights 1, 2, and 3, respectively known as protium, deuterium and tritium. Each has one proton, and additional neutrons give the latter 2 their greater atomic weight. So the question is really about the common form of hydrogen, but specifying it's non-neutron isotope.
Old 06 May 2014, 11:49 AM

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS
1. What geographic name comes from Sanskrit words meaning "abode of snow"? "Himalaya"--personified in ancient Hindu myth as the mountain-god Himavat.

2. What possession do the Beatles sing about buying for their girl in two #1 hits of 1964, "Can't Buy Me Love" and "I Feel Fine"? I'll buy you a diamond ring, my friend.

3. Five of the six men who raised the famous flag over Iwo Jima were members of which branch of the U.S. Armed Forces? Marines. (The sixth was Navy--the Marines had to have someone to drop them off at the island, I guess.)

4. Florin and Guilder, the two countries in The Princess Bride, are also names for types of what? Those are medieval coins or currencies. In fact, the Dutch guilder is still the currency of the Caribbean islands of Curacao and Sint Maarten.

5. Protium is the only stable isotope in the known universe that does not contain what type of sub-atomic particle? Protium is regular old one-proton hydrogen, the most abundant thing in the universe. It's also the only stable atom with no neutron: just one proton and one electron.

6. The lyric drama form called zarzuela originated in what country? Zarzuela originated during the baroque period in Spain.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these TV shows? Breaking Bad, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawson's Creek, Desperate Housewives, Dexter, How I Met Your Mother, Inspector Morse, Lost, The L Word, Rescue Me, Roseanne, and (maybe) The Sopranos. A major character died (or at least was revealed to have died) in the final episode. The Sopranos was meant to be a helpful hint, as many fans assume that [SPOILERS] Tony Soprano's death is depicted in the show's ambiguous final seconds.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Ninety-five percent of the world's opals come from what country?

2. Since 2000, "Alpha" has been the official callsign for what piece of equipment, though the Russians originally lobbied for "Beta"?

3. The last two hosts of CBS's The Late Late Show have had what first name?

4. Who was the first author buried in Westminster Abbey's "Poets' Corner," though his work is more closely associated with a different cathedral?

5. Until the plate was retired for 2014, what was the only U.S. state to name-check a rock song on its official license plate?

6. Hip, mansard, and gambrel are common styles for what part of a structure?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? The Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Phoenix Coyotes.

Enjoy!
Old 06 May 2014, 12:44 PM

Australia

Guess, based on the second word: the roof.
Old 06 May 2014, 02:22 PM

For 5, I will guess Alabama. There are others that might have qualified, IIRC, like West Virginia, but the songs are really not even arguably rock. BTW, at some point before Alabama started putting Sweet Home Alabama on its plates, it used Stars Fell on Alabama.
Old 06 May 2014, 03:07 PM

4. Chaucer
Old 06 May 2014, 03:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

Australia
Quote:

2. Since 2000, "Alpha" has been the official callsign for what piece of equipment, though the Russians originally lobbied for "Beta"?
Air Force One
Quote:

3. The last two hosts of CBS's The Late Late Show have had what first name?
James
Quote:

4. Who was the first author buried in Westminster Abbey's "Poets' Corner," though his work is more closely associated with a different cathedral?
Chaucer
Quote:

5. Until the plate was retired for 2014, what was the only U.S. state to name-check a rock song on its official license plate?
Alabama
Quote:

roofs (not roofies)
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? The Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Phoenix Coyotes.
The names still make sense in the context of their cities.

Seaboe
Old 06 May 2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
The names still make sense in the context of their cities.

Seaboe
Nice try, but there are several that still work particularly for their cities besides these - Seattle Mariners, Buffalo Bills, San Francisco 49ers, Miami Dolphins, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Vikings, and others.
Old 06 May 2014, 04:32 PM

Baseball I think I'm 1 for 7 this week

1. Ninety-five percent of the world's opals come from what country? Aren't there cars made in Germany with this name. I go with that.

2. Since 2000, "Alpha" has been the official callsign for what piece of equipment, though the Russians originally lobbied for "Beta"? International space station. The only thing I can think where the Russians work with everybody else. Plus, the Russians would want to see the ISS as the successor to MIR.

3. The last two hosts of CBS's The Late Late Show have had what first name? Craig

4. Who was the first author buried in Westminster Abbey's "Poets' Corner," though his work is more closely associated with a different cathedral? Alexander Pope. Thanks to Dan Brown, he is the only name I know that is there.

5. Until the plate was retired for 2014, what was the only U.S. state to name-check a rock song on its official license plate? The only states I can think where there is a song with the name are Alabama and Georgia. I'm going with Alabama.

6. Hip, mansard, and gambrel are common styles for what part of a structure? Hip would be too obvious for a body structure. I'm going for a table leg attachment.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? The Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Phoenix Coyotes. Not knowing much about most of these teams, I'm going to say that they were owned by the league at one point in their existence (as the Coyotes are).
Old 06 May 2014, 05:02 PM

1. Ninety-five percent of the world's opals come from what country? Australia?

2. Since 2000, "Alpha" has been the official callsign for what piece of equipment, though the Russians originally lobbied for "Beta"? International Space Station?

3. The last two hosts of CBS's The Late Late Show have had what first name?Craig?

4. Who was the first author buried in Westminster Abbey's "Poets' Corner," though his work is more closely associated with a different cathedral? The only one that comes to mind is Victor Hugo, but the nationality is wrong.

5. Until the plate was retired for 2014, what was the only U.S. state to name-check a rock song on its official license plate? Alabama?

6. Hip, mansard, and gambrel are common styles for what part of a structure? Roof?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? The Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Phoenix Coyotes. No idea.
Old 13 May 2014, 12:45 PM

Hi, all.

Here's the latest from Mr. Jennings:

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. Ninety-five percent of the world's opals come from what country? Opal is the national gemstone of Australia.

2. Since 2000, "Alpha" has been the official callsign for what piece of equipment, though the Russians originally lobbied for "Beta"? The International Space Station--which, in the eyes of the Russian "Mir" team, was decidedly not the first of its kind.

3. The last two hosts of CBS's The Late Late Show have had what first name? Craig Ferguson and Craig ("I host shows before they get popular and good") Kilborn share a first name.

4. Who was the first author buried in Westminster Abbey's "Poets' Corner," though his work is more closely associated with a different cathedral? Geoffrey Chaucer most famously wrote some tales about a pilgrimage to Canterbury Cathedral, but he's not buried there.

5. Until the plate was retired for 2014, what was the only U.S. state to name-check a rock song on its official license plate? Alabama's plates said "Sweet Home Alabama" for eight years. Skynyrd shout-out!

6. Hip, mansard, and gambrel are common styles for what part of a structure? The roof.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these teams in the four major North American sports organizations, and no others? The Baltimore Orioles, Denver Nuggets, Minnesota Twins, New York Jets, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Phoenix Coyotes. All these teams once went by a name that's now used by a DIFFERENT team in their organization: the Baltimore Orioles were once the "Milwaukee Brewers," the Nuggets were once the "Rockets," and so on.

I'm a bit surprised he didn't list all of the different teams in his answer. The only one I can add to his list is that the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes used to be the Winnipeg Jets. When the Atlanta Thrashers moved to Winnipeg a couple seasons ago, they took the old team name.

And on to the new ones. As always, the question 7s are delayed a week, as per Ken Jenning's request.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What popular ornamental garden shrub is named for the shape of its flowers, from Greek words for "water vessel"?

2. In March, what two actors became the first father-and-son team ever to win Razzies for their appearance in the same movie?

3. Last weekend, Adam Scott of Australia had the chance to take over the world #1 ranking in what sport from its injured holder?

4. The River Liffey is a minor waterway, only 75 miles long, but it's well-known for passing through what national capital?

5. After a 105-year-run, McCall's magazine ceased publication in 2002 after a year of being renamed for what TV personality, its new editorial director?

6. The Crimean War began in 1853 when what power, no longer found on maps, attacked Russia?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these U.S. presidents, and no others? Taylor, Pierce, Buchanan, Benjamin Harrison, Wilson, Truman, Eisenhower, Ford, Carter, Clinton.

Enjoy!
Closed Thread