snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 16 July 2014, 02:30 AM

Brad:
I'm sorry. My condolences to you and your family.
Old 16 July 2014, 08:55 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

Dear Wyatt,

Who'd have thought a cat would like rice cakes?

p.s. Quit leaving crumbs in the bed.
Old 17 July 2014, 06:21 PM

Dear Little One:
I am not spending all my time in my room to be difficult. Your strategy of drawing me out to rub your belly will never end with me following you downstairs. Well, not until August anyway.
And I know I gave you the super-fun cardboard box, but I'm not the mean one who cut it up. Stop leading me to where it was and looking sad. I don't have another one.
Old 18 July 2014, 11:08 AM

Latiam, I hope you and little one can enjoy downstairs scritches and cardboard boxes soon. Feel better.
Old 18 July 2014, 03:39 PM

Dear cats:

I know you miss your Mom and Dad and that I'm a poor substitute. However, can we PLEASE confine the vomiting to the tile or the porch? I'm getting a bit tired of scrubbing the carpets.

Also, please stop sleeping on top of my clothes. I gave you some cardboard boxes and baskets and even a big paper bag to sleep and play in. If those aren't suitable, why can't you sleep on Mom's clothes? Why mine?
Old 18 July 2014, 03:51 PM

They're not gonna stop sleeping on your clothes. Put them somewhere the cats can't get to them.
Old 18 July 2014, 05:18 PM

Glasses

Or give up like I did on not having cat hairs on your clothes and explain to people that its a decoration -- like tinsel.

Old 18 July 2014, 05:36 PM

Icon86

Dearest Ash-Cat,

It seems that we are at an impasse. You want to go on the side porch, as it's as close to being an outside kitty as you and I are both comfortable with, and as it is summer I want to have the air conditioning on. Because there is no cat door going to the side porch, I need to have the door propped open so you can come back in when scary noises happen. I can't have the door open with the A/C running. If I keep the door shut, you bite, paw, and claw at the Venetian blinds on the door, and have already done significant damage to them by doing so.

What to do?

I wish I could get you to understand compromise. I'll let you on the side porch in the cooler mornings and evenings, but you need to be inside during the hot day so I can have the A/C.

What to do?

Sincerely,
Your sweltering servant
Old 18 July 2014, 05:41 PM

Dear Human Servant #1

Stand by the door always to let us in or out as we see fit. Failing that (as we know how fallible you human are) install a cat door to let us in or out.

Condescendingly,
Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Old 18 July 2014, 07:27 PM

Dear TTG,

I dearly love the feel and texture of a blind. However, if I want to sit in the window and the blinds are down, I used to just chew them off so I could get the proper cat space. Gayle finally said something incomprehensible about a deposit and hid the blinds. She pulled them all the way up to the top of the window and wound up the cord and used twist ties to keep it from deliciously dangling. She put up curtains on rings which were pretty dang cheap. They don't have much flavor, but they do allow proper window sitting.

Yours,
Slick
Old 18 July 2014, 07:30 PM

Rupert~

Why must you run yowling through the apartment in full cheetah mode at five AM?
Old 18 July 2014, 07:41 PM

Dear Elkhound,

Because I am a cat.

-- Rupert

Brad -- I am sorry for your and your family's loss.
Old 18 July 2014, 07:54 PM

If we're going to be helpful, I'd suggest vertical blinds as they are easy for a cat to push aside and a single blind can be replaced easily if it is damaged.
Old 18 July 2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Dear TTG,

I dearly love the feel and texture of a blind. However, if I want to sit in the window and the blinds are down, I used to just chew them off so I could get the proper cat space. Gayle finally said something incomprehensible about a deposit and hid the blinds. She pulled them all the way up to the top of the window and wound up the cord and used twist ties to keep it from deliciously dangling. She put up curtains on rings which were pretty dang cheap. They don't have much flavor, but they do allow proper window sitting.

Yours,
Slick

Unfortunately, this won't work. We have a wooden door on the inside and a storm door on the outside. Even with the blinds open, Ash can't see out because the bottom panel of the storm door blocks his line of sight. He just knows that the way to the side porch is that way, and messing with the blinds gets our attention.

Vertical hanging blinds and a cat door won't really work for the same reason.

Thus, the battle of wills.
Old 18 July 2014, 08:45 PM

Are the upper portions of both doors transparent? If so, you could put a shelf on the inner door so Ash can see out the upper portion. (Kind of like the shelf on some Dutch doors.)
Old 18 July 2014, 09:28 PM

Can you put a cat door in the wall next to the people doors? -- maybe there isn't room.
Old 18 July 2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
They're not gonna stop sleeping on your clothes. Put them somewhere the cats can't get to them.
I'm trying. But a few days ago I discovered that one of the cats actually knows how to unzip a duffel bag (), and I found him curled up inside it, sleeping on my things. He's very stubborn and clever. The other cat is sneaky and will slip into a room unnoticed, until I hear meowing hours later when I've accidentally shut him inside. I'll see the cats in the living room, and think "Okay, I can shut the door and keep them out of the guest room" and yet somehow one winds up inside the room anyway.
Old 18 July 2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I'm trying. But a few days ago I discovered that one of the cats actually knows how to unzip a duffel bag (), and I found him curled up inside it, sleeping on my things. He's very stubborn and clever. The other cat is sneaky and will slip into a room unnoticed, until I hear meowing hours later when I've accidentally shut him inside. I'll see the cats in the living room, and think "Okay, I can shut the door and keep them out of the guest room" and yet somehow one winds up inside the room anyway.
The science of feline teleportation is advancing, but they have yet to develop a true unidirectional stream. Our overlords will inform us when our prehensile services are no longer required. Until then, please stand by.
Old 18 July 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
The science of feline teleportation is advancing, but they have yet to develop a true unidirectional stream. Our overlords will inform us when our prehensile services are no longer required. Until then, please stand by.
It may be impossible, given the famous quantum nature of cats. They will persist in showing up randomly, in random places. Especially if they're being observed. We are doomed to a life of doormanship.
Old 19 July 2014, 02:17 AM

Dear Gin,

Welome to your new home, we are loving family but you get out of line and you will be scolded. Not right now though, your still feeling yourself out here, however as soon as possible you are going to training classes. You will be fine, but you have some things to learn and maybe you can teach the other dog some things. Doubt it but it's worth a shot.

Also, you and Martini are going to be separated until you both get used to each other, nothing against you and I am trying to be fair about the amount of time behind the gate. But as you saw, the little thing can be snippy and over protective with his mommy. But in time he will be OK with you and I hope you two become the bestest of best friends.

You are so very much on your own with the cat, just don't hurt her. I will not promise she will not hurt you, she will claw you but you will learn the signs to leave her alone. She will also need some time to get used to you. But I can't keep her locked away, she scares me.

Welcome to your new home sweet girl, you should do just fine here.

Love, your new mom and I am sure your new dad, whenever he gets home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bailey Kitty,

It's a new dog, she is very sweet. I don't think she is out to get you.

Love,

mom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Martini,

I don't even know where to start with you.

It is not ok to snap at the new dog, I am not punishing you by putting you behind the gate. She isn't going anywhere, so you're just going to have to deal.

I'm sure you two are going to get along just fine and be really good friends, until then you both are taking turns behind the gate.

I love you dearly, you are my baby and you always will be. You know this, however the snipping at the new dog is just not going to work.
Love,

Mom.